Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burnout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Anthony. I think I can safely say that the passion is back. I am not writing as swiftly as I did with the furry stories, though. Not only because I want to make sure I avoid burnout again, right from the beginning, but just as importantly, because I am creating an entire world this time. With plants and animals and all the wonders that comes with it.

I have to describe new cultures, as told by an observer (it is written as a first person tale), and I have to make it all not only worth reading, but fit the character who is far more humble and a far gentler soul than for instance Aslaug could ever hope to be.

What I know is ... I really like her, and I want to tell her story. Very badly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
Thank you Anthony. I think I can safely say that the passion is back.

No, thank you!
You just told me that there's have something GOOD coming Wink

Quote:

I have to describe new cultures, as told by an observer (it is written as a first person tale), and I have to make it all not only worth reading, but fit the character who is far more humble and a far gentler soul than for instance Aslaug could ever hope to be.

Humbler and more gentle than Aslaug?
Besides Mother theresa, that description jsut covers 90% of the female population on Earth...
Twisted Evil

Some characters NEEDS to be brash, in your face, '10feet tall and farting Ligthning bolts', you know... And you are incredibly good at making them feel 'real' and not some sort of stereotype.

Can't wait to see your first attempt to create a complete world.
(Your earlier works have all been more or less derivative of either existing storyworlds, historical settings or religion. A complete alien world setting is so far above anything I would dare... )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I have described the people calling themselves "riders", as well as a race that the riders simply refer to as "them" (not knowing what else to call them, really). I have described the intelligent lizards that the riders use as mounts, called "quaddon", or simply "quaddo" in singular. Two types of trees, a mountainside, a forest, some very basic social structures of the riders, and two types of wild beasts, and I am still working on the second piece of it.

I keep going back to delete things or correct them, something I haven't done in ages, simply because I want this to be so absolutely -right-, while at the same time, not wanting it to be too perfectly described. After all, it is She-who-Dreams who tells the story, and her mind wanders a bit now and again.

Just wait until you hear about the ferocious Mokoon, as tall as ten riders and almost as wide, or the elusive Febakka ... which is such a bother to catch that the riders just tend to hunt something else.

Or when She-who-Dreams finally meets one of "them" for the first time. Or how she befriends her quaddo, Jadawe ...

Damned, now I want to go write again ...

*scampers over on Word to work instead*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
simply because I want this to be so absolutely -right-

Yea!

Just watch out for 'goin' for perfection' trap...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're not aiming for an Earthlike world, but this link may give you a few pointers when it comes to worldbuilding...

http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/bricka/earthlike_planet
There's a long list of links to further study, too.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just typical? I decide to put aside Aslaug and furry stories, and a month later, I get an idea for a story that could be my magnum opus.

THIS IS SO UNFAIR! *growls*
Frazikar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, the real questin is - is this a 'back burner slow cooker' type or 'break out the grill and let's start cookin!' type...
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
Isn't it just typical? I decide to put aside Aslaug and furry stories, and a month later, I get an idea for a story that could be my magnum opus.

Was it not the great and renowned Edmund Blackadder Esq. who said, "Life is never fair. If it was, things like this wouldn't happen, would they?" right before punching his poor dogsbody in the face?

(This next bit is all written under the assumption that this burning feeling is for an Aslaug story, not a different furry one.)

It's a sign that, even though you need to take a rest from Aslaug and Pals, they're still a part of who you are now. They've become something that defines and shapes your style and your need to send a message through their medium. I myself have yet to reach that stage with my side of this particular universe.

It's also a sign that you're quick to recover from burnout. That can be a blessing and a curse, as you've pointed out in your post. Ultimately, you could do what you suggested to me, and just take notes for this idea if and when you DO want to write it all up, and then you'll have your flair back for certain.

Whatever you do, you have my support in doing it. Now, if only I could break through the problem I have hit with my own story...

But that's not for here and now. Good luck to you either way, my dear filly.

Cobra out.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:

Well, your muse and my muse have conspired!

Yeah, new story here, too. Life is so unfair to us writers . . .

Kel Evil or Very Mad

EXan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'creative' part of the brain can only run on full for 15 minutes... Surprised
So always have some way of writing stuff down...

And Kellan.... I think everyones muse can be a BITCH from time to time. Razz Mine is... Constantly... Confused

Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a rhyme and a reason for every part of a season...

but it usually takes hindsight to figure out...
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Got a heads-up from the Filly. New story or maybe story series in the works. What she previewed to me looks to really be a fantastic story! I won't be proofing it, which means I get to read it and comment with all y'all forumites!

YAAAAH!

Watch for it at your favorite local Filly's website!

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see your exhuberance, Tiger Very Happy I do look forward to having you forum active. I am working on chapter 3. I'm almost half done with it, and I started writing Sunday. So I think it's safe to say I'm well underway.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you all might have guessed that I was asked to sit this one out as far as a proofer, too.

That's fine with me, if that's what the filly wishes. It might be nice to comment and kibitz on each new chapter, not knowing where it will go.

I will miss proofing each new chapter, though.

*points to my easy chair*

I'll be over there, waiting for that first chapter to appear. I know it will be a good one, too.

*presses F5 a few times over at the Axe Shed*

Mr. Green

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Kellan, you'll get back into the proofer's seat, no question about it. I'm just giving you both a chance to actually get the same experience as the other readers again for this one Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: