Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aslaug.eu blog comments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobi3B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear that you are really settling in ^^

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be "God dag, Hoppe, hvordan har du det".

The word for a female horse in Danish is "hoppe" ... which is also the word for "to hop". Otherwise not a bad first attempt Smile And I'm fine, thanks for asking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't want to spend ages trudging through translation sites to make a mistake over 'Hoppe', but thanks for the pointer. It is a start. I'm glad to hear you are well.

Although, I've just noticed. Your location thingy on both this site and Skype still say you live in Nibe. You might want to fix that soon, unless you want us all to start in doublethink...

Oh, now I see why you moved to Ireland. The start of a great (and I use the term 'great' very loosely) Orwellian society... I tease, of course. Forgive me. Razz Shocked Wink

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot of Irish blood on my mother's side of the family. My grandmother and mother both spoke Irish wiht some fluency. Alas, I never took to the language and now wish I had. It is very difficult to learn because of the spelling vs. pronunciation differences. Probably the reason I never learned to speak it.

Scots Gaelic was spoken on my father's side to some extent but again, I never took to it, you ken? The same with Russian, too.

You sound like you're enjoying Ireland, filly.

Slainte M'hath!

Kellan

Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck to learning the language, or should I say, reading said language...
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sighs*

I've never experienced domestic violence or abuse, and (as far as I'm aware), I don't know anyone intimately who suffers this situation either. In that regard, I consider myself lucky.

That doesn't change my opinion of domestic violence, though.

I do agree with you that it is appalling and irredeemable. In citizenship lessons at secondary school, my teacher told us a yarn about a younger student who said he knew his older brother was "'ard", because he broke his girlfriend's jaw...

I don't think so. I REALLY don't think so.

My teacher summed it up best. This kid's brother was not hard, he was absolutely pathetic. We get all sorts around the school about it. Posters, lessons, and a sort of help clinic for anyone suffering this kind of abuse, among other social issues in teenage life. But I digress.

I certainly hope your friend gets out of the situation, and soon. Not much else I can say or do about that.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason victims of abuse stay with their abusers can be summed up in two words, though people here may not be familiar with the phrase, Stockholm Syndrome. While this almost always has to do with kidnappers and hostage situations the effects still apply. When the abuse is not present the victim 'knows' that the abuser loves them and loves them in return, this phenomenon is so common as to be terrifying. It's why victims will repeatedly return to their abuser despite all logical evidence that they are going to be abused again. Like all other conditions the effects of Stockholm Syndrome can be treated, but it is a hard path.

Of course then there is always the 'Burning Bed' solution that some abuse victims have successfully used as a criminal defense. For those of you who are not familiar the 'Burning Bed' defense it came about in a case in March 9 1977 when a woman, Francine Hughes, had her children put on the coats, soaked her sleeping husband in gasoline and lit the house on fire. Once the house burned down she drove herself and her kids to the police station where she confessed. She was found not guilty by reason of temporary insanity. That case has been cited in several murder cases since, and many a victim has won with that defense, the infamous Lorena Bobbit being one of them even though her husband survived.

Now I'm not an advocate of the 'Burning Bed' solution I merely point it out to all abusers that sometimes the victim snaps and fights back, as like what happened in Transitions 2.

As Joan says there are times injuries that look like they are the result of abuse are nothing more than an accident. Patty and I went to a concert where some jackass was smoking a joint laced with cloves to hide the smell, I'll tell you right now it doesn't work, any ways for those of you who don't no Marijuana is probably the best bronchial diehlator (I know that's spelled wrong but I can't remember how it's spelled. Anyways my wife is deathly allergic to clove spice so she went into anaphylactic shock. We rushed her to the EMTs, here's the situation she had just gotten out of the hospital a few days earlier for the same thing and her arms were still full of IV bruises, which looked exactly like finger bruises. While I was away from her a nurse called in a social worker to talk to her about the abuse I was putting her through. It wasn't until my wife ordered them to look at her medical records and see her recent hospital stay that they backed off. But when the accidents, and bruises are to common it's time to talk to your friend.

The BioCobra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: 20/4/11 Blog Reply Reply with quote

You actually went there! I only told you about that statue yesterday, as of posting this, and you actually went to see them! I am absolutely delighted and also astounded by your alacrity. Good on you, Joan.

In some ways, I feel a little saddened that you even used to suffer from such chronic nightmares, but it is more than equally heartening to know you've gotten past that now. I do feel a little bad in myself that I didn't even know that much about the issue, but then what could I have possibly done?

As I have told you multiple times, and as I can see you are already doing, but I'll say it anyway... Treasure every bloody moment of this new life you have, y'hear me? Every. Single. Moment. You deserve nothing less. If not, I'll book the next ticket from Bournemouth to Dublin and spend many moons tracking down your address just to knock some sense into you.

I can only speak for myself when I say it makes me all the happier where I am to know you are as happy as you are.

I'll have to stop now, before I get all gushing and teary-eyed... Very Happy

Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, was that the filly fishing for comments??

[The main thing about fishing is the companionship and conversation, moreso than the catching, after all, there should be a fish market around just in case...]
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!

My favorite is a blend of black tea with hibiscus flowers in it, named 'Garden of Eden'. I can heartily recommend it.

But cinnamon is great, too.
(I usually prefer a blend with apples and cinnamon)
And one time I found one with mint and bits of chocolate...
Strange, though, I have never been able to find the store again. Sure, I wasn't that familiar with the town I found it in, and if was a foggy day, but still...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are evidently a much more social individual than me, as I'm admittedly NOT a fan of going out to parties or meeting new and unusual people. Mind you, I'm used to the company of a family around me still. Once I've moved on, I'll need it then, so I'm sure my time will come.

And don't our fathers tend to be among the wisest men on earth? I know mine is, and he's an Oxford educated man who enjoys good beer, playing guitar, and generally being a smart arse to my step-mum. And yet despite his penchant for frivolity, he has helped guide me with his own philosophies and education to shape me even to this day.

As for fate... I don't know if I can really say I'm for or against the idea. I suppose, seeing as I do hold an affirmative religious standpoint, then I must accept that fate is the scheme of a higher power than any man, and that can provide comfort and security to some; perhaps such as yourself. Others may argue they do not believe that because, as a wise man named Keanu Reeves once said in a film of some weird philosophy, "I don't like the idea I'm not in control of my life."

Unfortunately, I haven't got enough time at the moment to write my bloomin' story, let alone decide what I think about fate. So I think I'll be signing off for now... Wink

Kaeto

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milady: You have no idea how pleased I am that you are finally climbing out of that pit of depression you were in. It makes my bouts of depression easier to bear knowing you are doing so much better.
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good to here from ya filly, that said, life is about change (for good or ill).

Glad to hear that so far, it's been mainly good (or should that be challenging?)...

As for your Guinness, well, what's that saying bout ' knockin it til ya tryied it...' (course, some things are so ingrained that trying ain't gonna help [much])...[hmmm, did he try though, would be the question]
Frazikar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read there, but you did forget one little item that does have an effect on intelligent conversation, 'blind faith', especially when it does not allow one to even hear something that disagrees with ones religious views...then again, maybe you did, back door style...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one point...

Mentioning Steve Ballmer isn't actually helping much, neither for the jews in general or for your argument as many consider him a raving lunatic...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 33 of 46

Jump to: