Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do people change their fursonas so much?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/1786056/

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Xaqtly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a conversation with Leonato Lynx about this recently. He and I came up with our fursonas using similar methodology, and with similar purpose. We both feel that our fursonas are who we really are; he a Lynx, and I a blue Arctic Fox.

I came up with mine relatively soon after discovering that I was a furry, and in fact had been for about 20 years already. I just didn't know it. So that was... I think around 2002-2003. Once I had figured out that there was an entire community of furries, I began looking for ways to interact, and one of the places I found was Planetfurry.

I felt so strongly that I belonged to the furry community that I began soul searching, trying to discover what I was, so I could participate in a way that was meaningful to me.

Discovering my fursona was not a task I took lightly. I searched for days, I dreamed, I scoured the innermost sanctums of my mind until it came to me. When it came, it was so obvious. I was a fox. There was absolutely no doubt. More specifically, I was a cold weather fox, an Arctic Fox.

And then after some googling, I discovered the blue Arctic Fox, and I was immediately positive that's what I was. I put a lot of time, effort and soul searching into this fursona - and I use the term lightly because I believe this is what I am, not just a façade - and it's more than just roleplaying for me, or an excuse to act like a fox. In fact I don't roleplay, or act like a fox.

It is simply who I am. And for that reason, it will never change.

Kasyl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loved foxes for longer than I can remember. So when I found the furry fandom about two and a half years ago, it would stand to reason that my fursona would be a fox.

It wasn't. I consider the day I joined this site to be the day I "officially" joined the furry fandom, and in my first post on this site, I somehow chose that my fursona would be a wolf.

Kasyl's stuck with me ever since, and for two years, my anthro representation online has been lupine. It was only around last Christmas that my love for foxes finally won out, though Kasyl was still too much a wolf in my mind for him to change completely.

The solution? Kasyl is a folf.

I admire aspects of both animals, and I've had people tell me that both seem to suit me well. The strength of a wolf, the intelligence of a fox, all rolled into one gray-furred, red-headed package - yes, a folf suits Kasyl (and the human behind him) perfectly.

Shadu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had never thought about an alter ego until i found this forum. A few months after i joined i came up with mine because of a similar topic to this one that i cant remember right now. Initially i thought of wolf but it never fit by itself. After i met Tygon and others like him i learned about hybrids and i was able to create a wolf feline mix and the last name kanifeli was created for shadu.

I don't have a pic for myself and the avatar i have here is an image i found on the web that i had permission to use as an avatar. If i ever have enough spare money around, i hope to ask someone like Maxx to help me create a cool avatar.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as long as I been on this forum, I have not changed my avatar here or on other sites I am on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a silver fox since... heck.. 95. Wow... am i that ancient?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
TwylaFox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have a few "auxiliary" fursonas, my main one (which also appears on my scant collection of con badges) is good ol' Twyla - and has been since September 13th, 1981. Not exactly the sweet, innocent vixen she appears to be (her true species is a guarded secret) but close enough for government work. While technically a "change", it came about in light of how much I've RPed her in multiple environments - though always as a vixen.

Just for the record, here's a few of the "secondaries":
~ Sourise leBeau - mousie
~ Bontania (Tani) Moonshadow - "were" hooded skunk
~ Calambria (Bri) Sonters - Bengal tigress
~ Lydia - NIMH rattie
Maybe a half-dozen more, though these are the main four.

Leonato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I get referenced by two friends in the same thread *nods warmly to Xaqtly and Teric*.

So I figure I should weigh in.

I don't think the fandom has any sort of guidelines for picking a fursona, honestly. For some, like me, its quintessentially who I am. Based on my true personality and behavioral characteristics. For others, its an alter-ego, or just a character to write stories about. We all have different approaches.

As for those who change frequently, either they are very active RPers, authors, or the like. Or, if they really see their fursona as themselves truely, and yet still change frequently, -then- they have a true problem.

If its just them changing their alter-ego frequently, or a character they 'identify somewhat with', then its less of an issue in my opinion.

For my part, I have never changed except to nail down exactly what form of feline I am. I have always been feline, from my earliest memories. Curious to a fault, neurotic, skilled of balance with no fear of heights so long as what I am standing on is secure (otherwise I get the cat-out-on-a-limb complex... *cling*)

And even then, deciding on Lynx/Domestic took a lot of soul-searching. I knew I was feline, true, but I had to honestly decide though long self-determination if I was or was not a Tiger, or a Cougar, etc. In fact, the first feline anthro I role-played was a Tiger. Sharing my same fursona name too. I still occasionally play him, but there are certain clear differences between that character and me... He is not my fursona. Not in my eyes, nor will he be. I even gave thought into what variation of Lynx I am. There are clear differences between the types. I mean, was I just a north-American Lynx (bobcat)? Or a larger, more big-cat type like Eurasian Lynx. No, I finally settled on Canadian Lynx. In part because I have heritage from the north. I have an affinity for cold (what others call cold I call comfortable). It just fit all too well.

Anyway, thats my 2c (1c after Uncle Sam takes his slice)...

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ^^ When I was a young girl I always was into feline stuff and I always imaged myself as a tiger maybe sibertain tiger so I did have a feline fursona for a while from 1980's til 2000 ? She is still around but in 2003 I decided to use a different chat name and it was Jaymee. Someone bugged me for my last name so they can find me irl and stuff. (Jaymee is not my irl name) I said Fox because it sounded cool but something triggered inside me as if it was meant to be.

Hence Jaymee Hazel Fox was born

at start I was a plain small white arctic fox but through roleplays and training, my fox has evolved into something beautiful!

When I want to play Secondlife, they gave no way to choose my own name so I have an alternate name and now this fursona is like Jaymee's cousin.

Eventually I have different fursona but my main biggest character is a white fox Smile

Once in a while it bugs me that people think I named myself after jamie foxx x.x That's not why I took that name Jaymee. Razz

------------------------
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, like everyone, is too complex to be described by just one thing. As a fursona, I take on a mix of several things to make it fit. But in the least, to describe it would be something impossible due to its nature of complexity.

So what am I? I thought I was me. I am you to you and who knows what that description can be. I'm not here to prove anything to anyone, except maybe that I am here. I'm not a threat but am treated as one. Things can be humiliating at times that one has to laugh with what's going on or makes suicide an option. For me Self-destruction is not an option because I love me.

How can one love another but yet not love one's self? I always wondered about that. "I love you but I must kill myself..." Please, you cant love no one if you dont love yourself first because you wont know what love is if it dont exist within you for yourself first. "Love thy neighbor as thy love thyself" means that you love yourself first before you can love others. That means that you have to accept yourself for what you are, what you have and what you done before you can accept others.

People change. Time passes, people grow, people learn, accept new ideas, work out new problems. As such personal views will change, views about their friends, their families, their world and themselves. If they change, it is because is from something within all that they are looking at. But change is inevitable.

Me? Like I said... I have not changed since I joined PF so long ago. I grew older, wiser, but I'm still me. I have lost friends and family, but gained new ones as well; the only thing constant is me. So... my fursona is fixed as the hair on my head the skin on my ass. I love me so I can love others. I accept what is thrown at me and take challenges as they come.

I just am.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: