Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Drive Failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Failure Reply with quote

Well, at least I'm back to a point I can post.

My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop decided to eat its upgraded hdd two days ago. A WD SATA, 2.5" format with only 13 months on it. The place that I bought the WD drive from gave me a 3 year extended warranty so the new hdd was gratis.

Anyway, lost four days of productivity so I'm now busy restoring programs and files so I can get back to work.

I hate technology. Evil or Very Mad Next time I'm looking into a SSD for the laptop.

Kel

tijn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree a SSD is dependable, you will realize these have a maximum time of usage too?
Technology wise they too may lose data... if you 'only' lost four days it suggests you have a prudent backup scheme. Good show.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost 4 days?

4 whole days of work?

*Smacks the horsie with a dead eel*

Backup EVERY DAY!

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
tijn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I work on are always in several places.
I never lose work of more than 1 evening and even that is probably dumb since on-line backup drives exist (for $). Not everybody has a RAID5 going!

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that dead eels are very smelly.
A fresh skinned smoked one would be just about bearable but since its probably a Norwegian eel... I think chances of you actually hitting Kellan are slim since the average horse'd smell your 'gravad eel' from miles away. Upwind if need be.
Twisted Evil

*Smacks the lion with a chocolate letter*
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just have to take wind direction into acount when sneaking up on Kellan...

And no, it wouldn't be a 'gravad' eel...
(Not certain if that fish can even be 'gravad'. )
I hear that smoked eel can be a delicacy, though.

Oh, and RAID5 isn't that expensive. There's a lot of 'inexpensive' NAS boxes available that an deliver this functionality.It's also available as controller-cards.
Some OSes can even support it in SW...
(Some have even managed to set up a RAID5 with USB-diskette drives in OS X )

A cheaper RAID1 mirroring) is available on many MBs. There are even some 'laptops' with two HDDs that support this.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*dodges Anthony's dead eel being flung about*

What happened was a full failure of the hdd controller, according to my friend that works for a hdd mfg. here in the bay area. He tried to revive it but it was not in the cards. Especially after that small puff of smoke came out of a chip . . .

My regular backup is a WD ext. hdd (Passport) that I run on Tues. and Fri. I missed that routine Tuesday a week ago when I was too sick to deal with it. In the meantime, my cat made off with my incremental backup Verbatim USB stick. Eventually found in her hiding spot under the bed, along with a few other things.

I had been working on Chapter 18 of "End Game" when the system 'burped' on an auto save. Manual save created another 'burp' and a reboot. Bios did its thing then stopped at a DOS prompt that indicated no hdd was found. A live Knoppix disk was unable to mount my C drive so I kknew something was up.

As a side note, earlier in the day I had found something blocking any attachment-laden emails from being sent. Possibly for the last three weeks. I suspect it was Threatfire being a 'good' add-on. yeah . . .

Anyway, system restoral is almost completed. Not fun.

Kel

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a WD Mybook(I think) 1TB networked drive and run WDs backup SW on my Mac, which automatically copies ALL changed files to the WD drive as soon as they've changed. That keeps me safe from 'sudden disaster'.

My 'main' working files are NOT on the Mac mini's internal HDD, but on an Iomega MiniMax 1TB drive(this one is shaped like the Mac, and connected through FireWire, so it's pretty fast)

And whenever I'm working on something, I keep the files in a single folder tree which I copy over to one of my USB sticks at the end of the day.

Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Kellan Meig'h All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: