Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall 2010 Contest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Fall 2010 Contest Reply with quote

Greetings, my Peeps!

It's a new contest quarter at Anthrofiction Network and the theme is the Gift. This is what I have to say about this quarter's theme:
Quote:
It’s simple this quarter—build your story around a gift.

"Gee, Scotty," I hear you say, "It's not Christmas. Why a gift?"

Heck, why not? And don't feel you must use a Christmas theme, unless you want to.

S~

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks left to enter this quarter's contest. The entry deadline is September 7th.

I have a sample story this quarter, to illustrate use of the theme (the gift). The sample story is Pandora's Demise. Note, you must have a free account on the site to view the stories. A sample story is not in the competition against the other stories, but it can gather comments during the judging period.

S~

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judgment is Upon Us!

And you can help by reading and judging the stories in this quarter’s Anthrofiction Short Story Contest (a free membership is required to view the stories).

The ballots have a space for comments. While you don’t need to do a full critique, comments are always welcome.

If you don’t have time to read and score all eight stories, I still welcome your participation. Feel free to choose which stories you’ll read and score by the samples show below. In the real world readers often make snap decisions about what to spend time reading based on the title and first few lines of a story, so I feel this method is fair.

The theme this quarter is The Gift.

Quote:
Lesson

Ever since I can remember I’ve loved dogs. I even bugged my parents to get me one and they did. Jinx and I were the best of friends, too. The only time we were separated was when I was at school. Jinx was a Labrador retriever and the best friend a boy could have.

I was lucky, though: my parents were very wealthy and they could afford to buy me anything my heart desired. I was never without the latest video game consoles or toys; I even had my own personal butler. But, they loved me, too. …

Quote:
My Sister’s Gift

It seemed I was quite the source of some racket this morning. I can’t really imagine why, I mean, what’s so strange about a cat wearing a ragged business suit and riding a rusty shopping cart down a traffic-heavy road? I don’t think there’s anything strange about it, it takes all kinds to fill a city, you know.

I guess I just happen to be the kind who likes to see other people’s smiles, especially my cute little kitten sister. See sweetheart, you don’t need to be so shy. …

Quote:
Cut me, Keep me, Love me

It was one of those inevitabilities that came along in the life of every young dobermann. Driven by tradition, by a society that expected a certain image and appearance.

“Well, why don’t you want it done? Your brothers all had it. It happened to me, your Mum too, God rest her soul.” Paul was desperately trying to get to the bottom of all this, but not getting very far. He reached a paw over the table and cupped it over his son’s. …

Quote:
Last Tango

Jason was bored. He was so bored that he unintentionally started pacing back and fourth in the small flat in which he resided for the moment. Usually when he got annoyed or bored out of his mind he ate, but because of his roommate’s ridiculously diet of only lettuce and tomatoes he had no choice but to starve. Honestly if that boy became any slimmer he would resemble a toothpick.

Video games were no thrill for him either. He had already beaten most of the ones lying around, even though he hated pointless waste of time, …

Quote:
A Coyote Called Bluebird

I’m from here in Chicago—near north side, but you’d never know it by looking at me. We coyotes aren’t seen in the city very often. Yeah, the faded feathers I wear make me look like I belong on the plains with my family. But I assure you I can hold my own; be it here in the Loop or in the projects of Cabrini Green.

Y’know, life has a way of changing directions suddenly—like the winter wind on Wacker. It cuts you apart. It’s easy to lose faith in the power of the spirit and focus on wickedness. …

Quote:
What I Gave My Murderer for Christmas

I tiredly yet hurriedly hopped on my way home. I finished my shift at All-Mart, and with the paycheck I got that day, I got some Christmas gifts for my kids and a few groceries. Just in time too, that night was Christmas Eve. With both arms full of shopping bags, I managed to glance at my watch. If I hurried, I could get home before midnight.

As I headed towards my apartment and tried to think of a plan for tomorrow, I passed by a Doberman policeman. …

Quote:
Gifts of the Father

Sure, his wings were beginning to ache more than just a little, and sure, his tail was falling asleep underneath him… but it was totally worth it for the sweet sounds of silence he had discovered, disrupted only by the footfalls and murmurs he could make miles away.

From the symphony of silence there arose a single discordant note, barely audible to the normal individual, but positively klaxon-like to his sensitive ears. The sound of a doorknob’s mechanisms falling into place, followed by the squeak of door hinges and the silence that stood before open doors. …

Quote:
Pavla and the Greedy Fox

The snow was bright and clean. Pavla would have thought it looked beautiful if it wasn’t so deep that it stuck to her fur-lined boots and clumped around her legs as she hiked through the forest. Light flakes were falling and sticking to her dark brown hair and long eyelashes. Even though she had no coat, just a thick wool dress and a blanket wrapped around her shoulders, she was determined. With her arms wrapped around her tightly she trudged along through the naked black trees and brambles. She was sure she would find Jakov the hunter’s cabin soon. …

Finally we come to the sample story for this quarter. I wrote it to illustrate one possible use of the theme. While not in the competition against the other stories, if you do read it I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please fill out the comments section of the ballot for this story.
Quote:
Pandora’s Demise

I love the way a young girl’s eyes light up, the little gasp of surprise, the subtle shift of her scent. And I loved the way this one’s brown fur faded to orange-tan around her lips and white on her chin and throat. A real beauty.

“Crystal…”

Her trusting brown eyes twinkled and her nose twitched most bewitchingly.

“I hope you don’t think I’m being too forward.” I glanced around the restaurant to see if we were being spied upon, then reached across the table and caressed the back of her hand with my fingertips.

Thanks for your time and effort in reading and scoring the stories for this quarter.

S~

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note. Only 24 hours left to read and judge the stories. Try do do at least a few of them. Thanks!

S~

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results are ready. First, the overall results for fall 2010.

First place goes to WendyKitten's story Pavla and the Greedy Fox, which earned a score of 4.65. Wendy has been a participating member of Anthrofiction Network a long time, but this is the first time she entered a story.

Fere's story Cut me, Keep me, Love me earned a score of 4.24.

Daniel King's story A Coyote Called Bluebird earned a score of 3.75.

Azola's story Lesson earned a score of 3.50.

Traven J’Cory's story Gifts of the Father earned a score of 3.48.

Mediteral's story My Sister’s Gift earned a score of 3.16.

Kevin Crest's story Last Tango earned a score of 3.08.

Murphy Z's story What I Gave My Murderer for Christmas earned a score of 2.93.

I'd like to thank two faithful participants. Le Renard and Vaperfox have read, scored, and given useful comments on every story for these past many quarters. Thank you guys!

S~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: