Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lieutenant
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcmack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, forces are once again going against David? I have to wonder if his current assignment is as bad as it seems though. It will be interesting to see what duties he has in his area. Personally I am hoping that he might end up in an intelligence role himself. After all, who watches that branch of the military?
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Into each life a little rain must fall.

Just be careful of lightning strikes within (and also look out for the silver lining inisde)
tobi3B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the good of his family David has to enter a backward position.
GAh politics you gona hate them

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
tobi3B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmack could be right his currend commission is a hole for people to be forgotten maybe the secred service wants him there after all a bunny got the codebook from his room and a bunny goes (in slaveclothes) unnoticed between people. I belive the bunnys look to the most people alike.

Hawke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmack wrote:
So, forces are once again going against David?

It seems this is always the case....but it still gets constantly more and more interesting for sure...

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never know what to say here except...

Thanks for reading and even more for commenting. You have no idea how much these comments help when the going gets touch, and even the negative ones are deeply appreciated. Perhaps the negative ones most of all-- they help me improve.
kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well it doesn't look like there is any intelligence factors going on but David definately seems to be learing a lot. I now have start adjusting my thinking once again to try and see where the story will go. You are doing a very good job at keeping us guessing Rabbit.

Now I am wondering if we are going to see at some point David having to take command for some reason. Just wondering, how many books are there in your storyline?

Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmack wrote:

Now I am wondering if we are going to see at some point David having to take command for some reason. Just wondering, how many books are there in your storyline?

Well, that in turn begs a lot of questions...

I've written a number of books by now. And I've been lucky enough to sell five of them to publishers this year alone, so that I've had a ton of editing to do and to be done. Yet, I wanted to put out some new material as well, since editing is all work and no play. As a result I started this series as a "fun write", intending to be far less disciplined and structured with it than most of my stuff. I'm also ignoring all saleability aspects, including length issues. "Ship's Boy" and "Midshipman" are at very awkward lengths, for anything but internet posting. They're far short of standard novel length. So, are they "books"?

Anyway, I'm looking at either four or five more story-arcs (books?) though my detailed plan ends with "Lieutenant" because the plot to date was all I could fit into my brain at once. =;)

There will probably be a delay of several months after I finish this one, while I try to write a few shorter, easy-to-sell stories and come up wth more Birkenhead images to work around. I know the ultimate ending, but not quite how I plan to get there yet.

As always, thanks for the _very_ kind words!
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wondering, how many books are there in your storyline?

Hopefully enought to tell the story, much like Hornblower (or his latest cousin, what's-her-name)...

Must admit I've gotten curious about the name of David's current ship...
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know the ultimate ending, but not quite how I plan to get there yet

You know its not the end that counds but the to the end.
Interresting but so true there must be man and woman who do the dirty work afterwards. My grandpa was a soldier in the 2 worldwar and had to throw his nametag away to survive russia someone found it and my grandmother got notice that he was missing but probably dead.
Good to see David back on a ship ^^

tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope every link on all sides are fine to me

Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Frazikar"]
Quote:

Must admit I've gotten curious about the name of David's current ship...

Over the years I've noted that future-fiction tends to be very USA-culturally weighted, not due to some nefarious plot but simply because so many authors in this field happen to be American. I was the same way in my early books (and probably still am upon close examination-- being an American myself I can hardly help it) but have tried to reform and do better when possible. Therefore, rather than being having David serve aboard the _Arlington_, named after the US national cemetery, I chose to put him on _Beechwood_, named after the Canadian equivalent. In another recent military trilogy, I used the British system of weapons designation (Spitfire Mark I, Mark II, etc.) instead of the US terminology (P-47D, P-47N). And so on and so forth, as often as I can. I remain highly biased towards the English-speaking countries because I both speak and write only in English. Even there, however, when I get a chance I do what I can. In the previous series mentioned above, for example, the battleships of one side were all named after successful and famous admirals. Quite deliberately, not one American or Englishman was chosen-- my warships were named _Andrea Doria_, _Yamamoto_, _von Tegetthoff_, _De Ruyter_, and so forth. (There was one special exception, an Englishman who served as a successful admiral in a South American navy during their wars of independence. In that instance I used his Spanicized rank and named the ship _Almirante Cochrane_, which is how he's remembered there. I did this because he was the only credible candidate able to represent the entire continent. Besides, the Chileans think enough of him that _they_ named a battleship after him, so who was I to argue?) I also try to mix in what commonwealth-specific naval lingo I can to dilute the US-derived stuff, though that sometimes backfires. On an English ship the annunciator is called the "tannoy", for example, but I had to quit using the term because it proved too obscure. No one knew what I was talking about. So, it's a fine line I'm sometimes forced to walk.

As I said, my work probably remains US-biased as heck to a foreign reader-- I can't help that, being an American myself. But when I can, I try to give nods elsewhere. _Beechwood_ was for the Canadians-- in fact, a Canadian friend I named a character in this story for helped me with the research. =;)
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahhh, thanks for the info.....
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, 'George', I keep seeing the Looney Tunes snowman and his need to '...pet him and squeeze him...'

Bunny Wranglers have a bit more than most would think, it's all in the application...

...still lessons to be learn on both ends of the spectrum...
kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the empire takes no military prisoners. Wow. What is the normal bunny loss amount on a detail like Davids? I am curious to find out how much his training will improve thier survival rates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: