Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do people change their fursonas so much?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WolfMoonDesires

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Why do people change their fursonas so much? Reply with quote

I can understand if its a slight change, people do it all the time to help their character's story move along. But what I don't understand is why do they do major changes to their fursona. I had a younger friend who is a bigger furry than I would be. At first he was a blue cabbit, then he changed it to leopard. I dont get it!

I kept my mouth shut, but it happened again, he changed it to a pangolin. Are there so many people who cannot settle their minds to the fursona that makes them happy. Im sorry for not understanding, but it happens so many times.

People had said that Im doing the same thing, but that isnt really the case...is it? My fursona is indeed a wolf. But to match the real me, I made her a mixed breed. You would often see me refer myself as a wolf cat. There are small bits of other species inside, just like in the real me, I have different nationalities inside.

Am I sounding too rude?

I still use my old fursona
Scifer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read The Northern Lights? It's a story set in a universe where all human beings have an animal familiar that follows them around, called a 'dæmon'. Every person's dæmon is an external representation of their soul and character. Someone strong of character will have a wolf, or a bear. A wise person will have an owl, or an orangutan. When the characters are children, their dæmons change form every now and again, as their human counterparts develop spiritually and mentally.

I feel the same sort of thing happens with people's fursonas. The character that you thought represented you when you first entered the fandom, may not represent you in 5 years time. Things change. People change.

I'm proud to say that my fursona has only had one or two costume changes, a new hairstyle and the addition of badger-like markings; since his creation in 2003. His story and character have matured a LOT, however. Started out as being a very basic starfox fan character, and moved on to something totally original ... and rather grim.

But no, it's perfectly normal for fursonas to change. It does make you question how people see themselves, and how indecisive they are, though. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) People always grow and change, especially so if they are young and still figuring things out but also in general personalities change.
When I was young I was definitely a "lone wolf" personality and never wanted to change (I never day dreamed of my wedding like many girls) later I'm totally a "pack wolf" and have no desire to be alone.

2) When one first finds out about and joins the fandom there tends to be a feeling of having to pick a name and fursona right away. Later once they have learned more about the fandom, learned more about themselves, etc they may find their first thought is not as right on as it could be.

3) Not everyone bases their fursona on their personality, many just base it on their favorite animal, which of course is up to changes in tastes.

If someone is changing something small (I've always been a fox/coyote but I don't feel coyote fits really so I'll just be a fox, etc) then it's just growing. Unless they are changing every few months, then it's probably immaturity and swaying in the wind.

If someone is changing something big they'd probably do better having multiple fursonas, many people have them, they base it off multiple favorite animals or different moods. If today I want to be a tigress but tomorrow I want to be a mouse, I'd do best thinking up a second fursona.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still the same old huggable polar bear I've always been for my fursona. However, because of my writing, I do have several other critters who occasionally want out or they won't leave me alone. I tend to use them in RPG games for the most part, but my fursona will always be the same I think.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble choosing originally, but then, my readers kinda chose for me. After a couple of months, they started referring to me as "filly" ...

That said, I still maintain that I'm a human being. Furry, to me, is a literary genre. I don't see a need to be an antropomorphic animal, but I take it as a compliment when people do the "filly"-thing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: My fursona Reply with quote

I've always been "The Old Warhorse", ever since I served in the military. In fact, I think I might have been classified as a 'Furry' before the fandom ever really took hold.

I also have a deep affinity for equines.

I will go on record as stating that if I were given the chance to become my fursona, I think I would pass. Cool

Kel

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough horsing around, Kelan, you wrote a book about turning into an anthro-equine Wink Are you SURE you'd pass it up? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
Enough horsing around, Kelan, you wrote a book about turning into an anthro-equine Wink Are you SURE you'd pass it up? Very Happy

Well . . .

At first, I thought "Wow! That would be cool!" but after I wrote the novel, it kind of left me thinking.

Okay, I'll change that 'No' to a 'Maybe'. An iffy maybe. Gah, I'm not sure now . . . Embarassed

Kel

Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people change because of youth.

Some people change because the character just didn't match them well enough.

Others change the fursona a lot because they are extremely unbalanced people. Usually a bit touched in the head.

AKA Mogthemoogle

Last edited by Cookie on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
tobi3B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I`m first created my fursona I asked my friends what they saw in me
half sayed bear some sayed a sneaky fox and a couple called me Brauner
(that´s a bay horse for you) I looked at my family and where I came from and because the nickname Balu stuck with me I made my hybrid char alongside with Nikki both represend me and I like them.
Some time ago I thought that maybe I shud change my fursona to a chakatchar but I decided against it because shi don´t fit me as good as Balu and Nikki. (Balu= Male side of me Nikki=Female side of me)
people change often because they change and beginn to think other
My first thought a few years back when I stumbled over Sabrina Online was "UHHH what´s this, nothing for me" Embarassed

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Teric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created my Dragon character clear back in high school (around 1991). I didn't discover the furry fandom until 2006, but I've always had that dragon character with me.

Leonato keeps trying to convince me that I'm a 'closet feline', because he sees a lot of feline attributes in me. He may be right, but will I change my fursona to feline because of it? No. As much as I love felines and equines, I firmly identify with my dragon fursona.

Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the world of Furry in the fall of 2000. As did Mike, I hung around for better than a year, just going by 'Clint'. A fursona did not seem necessary. But then my wife asked me one time what my avatar was and when I maintained I didn't have one, she asked, "Can you do that?" So I threw it open to the other folks on PF and by general acclamation they decided I was a puma (Felis Concolor). I've never had any reason to change it. It feels quite comfortable now.

Per Scifer's comment, and in view of full disclosure, I was 40 when I first learned of furries. And while my wife may occasionally opine otherwise, I haven't been a child in a long, long time.

WolfMoonDesires

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so many stories. This is how you guys entered the world of furry?

As for my fursona, I kept it as the simple wolf-girl, only because I was afraid mum and the others would shun me if I ever get farther. I still keep her, because I find her outfit and look too cute to throw away

I did developed what people would call my second fursona (however even if she is close to what I am, she isnt me). I named her Ranna, she is actually still in the development stage.

I still use my old fursona
Syrius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:
And while my wife may occasionally opine otherwise, I haven't been a child in a long, long time.

If she does, just refuse to eat your veggies. That will teach her. Razz

Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Always seen myself as a wolf. When I say always I mean from my early childhood I would imagine myself as different animals, and somehow I always ended up a wolf. I decided to make the change to Wolf/Fox only about 2 years ago. Something in my mind just kinda clicked and said "You hybrid now, deal with it!" And so I did.

As for multiple fursonas that is something I have considered. I have mostly kept that to myself though, as I Really don't want people thinking I have Multiple Personality Disorder. I say this because I have considered probably about 8-10 fursonas. Each embodying certain traits of my personality. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: