Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Story Contest for Summer 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Short Story Contest for Summer 2010 Reply with quote

I'm thrilled to announce that the judging for this quarter is open. there are four qualified entries, plus the sample. While the sample cannot win, or even place, its author does appreciate comments.

The stories this quarter are:
Quote:
The Fallen Comet

Jules assumed that what the people of Bridge would want to know was why the rocks were bleeding.

The Orb, who usually floated by his head, made a pass at the side of the road, its gray light shining in globs off of the congealing hemoglobin stuck to the stones at the mountain’s base. Jules’ enormous eyes followed the landslide’s red trail up and up and up, trying to locate the source, but the angle was wrong. All he saw was a kind of cleft about two miles from where he stood. ...

Quote:
Dilute to Taste

“For the last time, I don’t want to know!”

“But Da’, please…”

“I said, no!” Meirion’s paw thumped down onto the table, clattering their empty plates, “you’ll stay, do you hear me?!”

Alun knew from experience when to shut up. A bruised rump, a swollen ear, a cut to his neat black-white tail; he didn’t fancy a repeat. He just sat silently, his head hung as he played a frustrated paw about the rim of his glass. ...

Quote:
Hurmevaara

It was early summer in the north edge. The nature was at its greenest, the air at its purest and rain at its softest. Light green needle buds were adorning the spruce thickets, butterflies, bumblebees and bugs of all kinds made the meadows buzz with life, and the lakes were rich with fish once more after the long and cold winter. The prey animals had returned to the forest, and if a woodsman just had enough patience to set some traps, a catch was ensured.

Yes, it was a good time for us locals, living in the wilderness. ...

Quote:
Moving Mountains

I was reviewing a case involving a troll pressing charges against a goat man for trespassing and assault, when there was a soft knock on the wide open door to my office.

“Come in,” I rushed around my desk to grab a giant stack of desperately needed to be filed papers that were on the chair facing my desk.

“Mr. Ffffffitz?” A human druidess in plain green robes poked her head in. Actually my name is Ffffitz with four f’s, not six. ...

And finally, the sample:
Quote:
Friendship is a Mountaintop Experience

Penny steadied herself against a large rock that stood proud upon the spine of the mountain ridge. The late fall rains had washed away the Southern California dust and turned the brittle yellow and gray lichens pliable. At her feet the new grass was already three inches high.

“Is this it?” Paris said. “From your description at breakfast, I though we’d have more of a hike.”

“We do.” She turned to face him. “Can’t see the— Oh, you fox!” ...

You must have a free membership on Anthrofiction Network to view the stories. I realize you're busy, so feel free to only read those where the sample is suitable enticement.

The last day to turn in ballots is 2010-Jul-07. Thanks a million!

Scotty

PS: Samples printed here by permission granted by the authors.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results!

The Fallen Comet by Le Renard won with a score of 4.18. This story earned top marks in Writing with a score of 4.42.

Hurmevaara by panzergulo earned a score of 4.14. This story earned top marks in Enjoyability with a score of 4.43.

Moving Mountains by Murphy Z earned a score of 4.04. This story earned top marks in Theme with a score of 4.75 and top marks in Creativity with a score of 4.42.

Dilute to Taste by Fere earned a score of 3.90. This story earned top marks in Storytelling with a score of 4.07.

Congratulations to Le Renard and the other authors this quarter.

It wasn't easy selecting a winner. Many times in past contests one or two stories are clearly on top. Not so this quarter. In scoring the stories there are five criteria, and each story was stronger than others in at least one of those criteria. All stories earned many 5s, and all earned at least one 2.5 in something from someone.

S~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: