Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A shameless plug...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: A shameless plug... Reply with quote

As some of you know, I've started a new web comic. It's over at www.ImperialGELF.com and now has 4 pages posted. It updates once a week. While it may not be a true furry comic by some elitists standards, but I think it's close enough folks will like it.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Cheers!!

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameful.

Tsk tsk.

I shall read it, and edit this with an appropriate response.

EDIT: Moar is welcome.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
aryeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work MORE PLEASE!!!!!
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aryeon wrote:
nice work MORE PLEASE!!!!!

New strip every Sunday (assuming my artist can keep up....)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Hikaru! No shameless plugging allowed! Razz It seems to be a good web comic in the making methinks Smile
tobi3B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it bookmarked looks really good so far I like it

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Scifer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy work Hikaru. Sorry again that I couldn't help with the artwork like you asked, but I'm up to my armpits in projects already. Confused

It's looking like a good start though ... now to keep it going every sunday. That'll be the tricky part, after a while. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Shadu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good! bookmarked and will be checked for new content regularly.
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, bookmarked as well.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go take a look, but I have to remind you that the term "G.E.L.F." is probably trademarked. It was first used by BBC in "Red Dwarf" and later in the american show Seaquest DSV. It'd be a crying shame getting in trouble over something like that, so you might want to check if the term is protected in some way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget that there's a Gelf magazine out there too. I doubt the BBC would let them get away with that if GELF was trademarked. Let's not forget gelfgolf.fi where you can buy an electronic "virtual caddy" that will make recommendations on what club to use for a shot.

And lastly, GELF is also the name for the unix Generic Executable and Linkable Format for files and libraries.

I think I'm safe. ^_^

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, and shows promise. Cool beans on the comic!

This should be your home page, not what you have now. That is, whatever the current comic happens to be. Save your wall of words for some secondary page.

Show don't tell? Great advice but what does it mean?

On page 3 you write in your notes: "And finally we get to the protagonist of the story. Hazel’s a rather gifted GELF and with hair that red, there’s little doubt she’s got a temper to match it." 100% useless as a comment. We can see by her position as the first person introduced that she is the main character--we're not that stupid. And don't tell us she's gifted and has a temper--show us by her actions and dialog.

On page 4 your first paragraph of comments is fine, but if you feel compelled to write the other three, then there's something seriously flawed with your storytelling technique. We need to understand who the two men are from the context of the comic.

Maybe once the comic gets rolling you'll settle into a useful commenting technique.

The transcript section is an interesting addition and makes your comic accessible to those with limited sight.

To GELF or not to GELF?

Well, you've got your domain name now, so it's a bit late to change it. Else I'd suggest you create your own acronym.

I am not a lawyer, but an acronym cannot be copyrighted. However it can be trademarked. Each country runs their own trademark registration. I tried looking up "GELF" and "G.E.L.F." on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's website, but their search engine kept spewing errors.

Did the creators of Red Dwarf invent the term? Don't know, although it appears to be the first place it was popularized. Might be nice to acknowledge you didn't invent the term. It's probably not a legal issue, but some might cry "plagiarism" if you don't.

S~

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
Interesting, and shows promise. Cool beans on the comic!

This should be your home page, not what you have now. That is, whatever the current comic happens to be. Save your wall of words for some secondary page.

I'll probably set it back to the current post. Having it go to the about page was an experiment to track people's usage. That's why I also posted the bookmark to always take people to the latest page. Not that anyone uses it. Razz

ScottyDM wrote:
Show don't tell? Great advice but what does it mean?

On page 3 you write in your notes: "And finally we get to the protagonist of the story. Hazel’s a rather gifted GELF and with hair that red, there’s little doubt she’s got a temper to match it." 100% useless as a comment. We can see by her position as the first person introduced that she is the main character--we're not that stupid. And don't tell us she's gifted and has a temper--show us by her actions and dialog.

On page 4 your first paragraph of comments is fine, but if you feel compelled to write the other three, then there's something seriously flawed with your storytelling technique. We need to understand who the two men are from the context of the comic.

Maybe once the comic gets rolling you'll settle into a useful commenting technique.

I'm not used to blogging/commenting about stuff. Not much to tell about the creation since I just color it, and with the comic being so new, there's not much to say about it really.

ScottyDM wrote:
The transcript section is an interesting addition and makes your comic accessible to those with limited sight.

Yep. It's a standard comicpress item. It helps give Google something to work with when it comes to the ads on the side.

ScottyDM wrote:
To GELF or not to GELF?

Well, you've got your domain name now, so it's a bit late to change it. Else I'd suggest you create your own acronym.

I am not a lawyer, but an acronym cannot be copyrighted. However it can be trademarked. Each country runs their own trademark registration. I tried looking up "GELF" and "G.E.L.F." on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's website, but their search engine kept spewing errors.

Did the creators of Red Dwarf invent the term? Don't know, although it appears to be the first place it was popularized. Might be nice to acknowledge you didn't invent the term. It's probably not a legal issue, but some might cry "plagiarism" if you don't.

Trust me, I researched the GELF heavily before using it. There's no trademark or copyright associated with the term. Also, even if there were, it's been so diluted by other works using the term. If I were to add GELFs doing the GELF greeting, then they might have something. Considering that Seaquest DSV had GELFs in the story line and didn't get sued, I think I should be safe. I'll be making a heck of a lot less money than that show did!

Thx for the feedback. ^_^

Xaqtly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot so far, it's going in a direction that pleases me. And of course redhead = super hot temper. Very Happy
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely. The home page looks good too. Wink

S~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: