Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Generators and Doing It Myself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: DIY Generators and Doing It Myself Reply with quote

So I've been surfing the internet and cannot seem to find any articles explaining and diagramming how to build a generator with good output.

A single coil isn't going to be the best way to do it, but that's all I can find.
What I could really use is an easy to understand explanation of how to build a three phase generator. I've found several threads where people have made them, but no explanations on how to make the coils, how to attach them, an how to wire them.

Unfortunately I need something step by step, and not these electrician diagrams I keep running into.

I don't suppose that within the infinite knowledge of PF, someone may be able to provide me with such.

Please note, I don't need information on designing a turbine or whatever you might call the part that powers the rotor within the generator, just information on how to make the generator itself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I don't know your skill set but it's my guess that if you don't have the ability to follow the diagrams that are out there it's probably not a good idea to attempt such a project. I mean we're not talking about one of those electronic experimental kits here we're talking about something that can have dire consequences if not built right. Just my $.02

Syrius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had to disassemble and reassemble an electric motor in workshop class. I couldn't figure it out, and barely passed the course. It's not easy. And since a generator is a motor in reverse, well...

It's a PITA.

Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the part i really couldn't figure out was the coils themselves. I know what kind of wire to use, and I have a pretty good idea how to wind them, but I'm trying to find a diagram or drawing of the appropriate spacing (180 Degrees/120 Degrees) and how to properly connect the coils to create a Star wiring for the three phase generator.

That's what I'm having the most difficulty understanding.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
we're talking about something that can have dire consequences if not built right.

I appreciate your concern, and that's why I'm taking proper precautions.
I'm going to build the the coil section and the rotor but I've incorporated the danger into my plans, so what I will do is build the strator and wire the coils correctly before I even attempt to integrate the rotor.

If I can make it, it will be fairly simple to have someone look it over to make sure it's wired properly before finishing the build.

That way I know for sure that I'm not going to wind up creating a deathtrap.

I do appreciate your input, and I'm glad you're concerned for my well being!

Very Happy

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A motor/generator is sort of a perfect machine: Stick mechanical power in and you get electrical power out. Stick electrical power in and you get mechanical power out.

As for what kind you want--synchronous, universal, permanent magnet, etc--maybe pickup some used fractional HP motors of different types and experiment. Spin them and see what happens.

As for building a large three-phase generator, there's a lot of manufacturing tech goes into those. It'd probably be far simpler, and probably cheaper, to pickup some burnt out motor/generators and rebuild them. If it's got a nameplate with specs that are close, just replace the old burnt up wire with the same size and number of turns.

Given a variable torque input, you could probably regulate the output voltage by regulating the load. That is, once the output is up near the ideal voltage, start pouring more and more current into the load (be it a direct tie system to the grid, or charging batteries). A heavy electrical load will cause heavy mechanical drag on the input. Of course too heavy will burn out the coils.

Good luck and have fun!

S~

Alexi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tora Hinomoto wrote:
Styx wrote:
we're talking about something that can have dire consequences if not built right.

I appreciate your concern, and that's why I'm taking proper precautions.
I'm going to build the the coil section and the rotor but I've incorporated the danger into my plans, so what I will do is build the strator and wire the coils correctly before I even attempt to integrate the rotor.

If I can make it, it will be fairly simple to have someone look it over to make sure it's wired properly before finishing the build.

That way I know for sure that I'm not going to wind up creating a deathtrap.

I do appreciate your input, and I'm glad you're concerned for my well being!

Very Happy

Tora, since you conveniently live not that far away from me at the moment, I will standby with a first aid kit, advanced shock and electrical burn treatment kits and if necessary, last rights (assuming you are okay with a Pagan priest overseeing you.)

I've done the 420 shuffle before and it sucked on toast. This has the potential to be a whole new level of bad. Please be extra careful.

Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last rights won't be necessary. And I'll make sure to have my finger in a socket when you arrive, so no one has reason to blame my generator. Lol

As for using old burnt out motors and such, I have looked into it, and it simply won't produce the effect that I'm looking for.

With this project I need the knowledge to build it, and the freedom to alter it or if necessary start over. I'm at a stand still in my design phase because I have to learn how to properly wire a three phase generator.

This project is along the same lines as building a home-made wind generator, so as to be slightly self sufficient, and so I need to be able to alter the designs to suit my needs. Unfortunately, I have learned the necessary things to build Everything except the coils.

I can't seem to find a good straight-forward explanation of how, or preferably someone to teach me, just that one part. I do very much appreciate the help. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, or not giving something else enough opportunity.

I was just under the impression that self built tend to be the most efficient.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tora hun... best place to ask about it is here: http://www.instructables.com it's also a good source for wind/solar power generation questions, and tons upon tons of different step by step items you can do yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: