Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midshipman
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that this must be "Part II" of the story. Nice flow of the story to the new area. It almost sounds like David is being adopted into the family. So the House of Marcus has been working towards a goal for many years. It will be interesting to see how David does with thier plans. I think he might just advance them a bit.
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is said, '...the best laid plans...'

Now is David speeding up the timetable or not...
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, part 1 is Ship's Boy.

I wonder if David will start teaching Barton to read. He may not be around Patrick long enough to help him much in this direction.

tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some people like to do their own thing if they think nobody controlls them. I think we will see more of Pedro in the future
Looking forward to more Very Happy

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thank you all for your comments! I'm just glad you're enjoying the read.
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MEDIC! The rabbit fainted dead away!"

So, as hinted by his interrupted narration, I take it The Sword of Orion is a higher award than The Staff of Hercules. I think Captain Blaine will be proud of David's award and not at all envious, at least not in a serious way.

tijn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe David will be able to carry the weight of his award.
Still... if he can, will the rest of those assembled allow him to carry it? The assembled press didn't sound too convinced.
kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropping by to let you know someone is still reading. Sounds like they have a lot of plans in the works. From what it looks like they have been keeping the rabbit population controlled through some genetic manipulation. How easy is it to detect the "illegal" genetic modifications made to David?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not all that difficult.

All rabbits were designed to be docile, hard working, loyal, which means ALL rabbits will have the same general patterns in their DNA when it regards muscle-build, the bits that control brain development and so on.
(I neither parents havegenes forhigh IQ, how can the child get them?)

Now, proving that David's deviating pattern is a deliberate change, rather than a mutation, that is a bit more dificult.
And that is probably also why they were doing this the slow way.
His father was smart enough to be a Hyperspace engineer, he was supposed to become a ship's officer, and his son again, might become a captain.
While his father and David all got training and important positions, they're all serving under someone else, so it can still(barely) fit under their conditioning to serve a master.
David wasn't supposed to break that pattern, only build the acceptance for his son to do so.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think you got it right anthony. I see it also so. But David went through some extreme situations which triggered his wits. you could say he is like a gardenhose who was dripping and then someone opened it full. The future will be hard for him. From slave to high decorated hero in no time that will left scars on him. Hope he can pull through.

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say again is, thank you for reading and even more for taking the time to respond. It means more to me than I can say. I'm going to avoid discussing the plotline itself for fear of dropping spoilers, except to say that I plan to be writing this work for several years to come, excepting long breaks for other stories between books.

If all goes well, that is...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh...

With the speed you're writing, that sounds like several full books...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Smile

I don't think the situation really triggered anything.
Breeding in(or out) the capability to easier understand complex maths is just a question of tweaking the genes that has to do with development of certain areas of the brain.
The ability to take decicions can probably also be manipulated, but you risk getting slaves that can't even decide to move out of the path of a runaway truck if the owner has ordered them to stay...
Or do anything but sit or stand around waiting for an order by the feet of their dead master...
(There's a lot of stuff a master never want to bother ordering a slave to do... Going to the toilet, probably eating, and so on. Unless the owner is a right bastard.)
The best way to deal with that is indoctrination. That way they keep their abbility to think, but have a set of rules imprinted upon them that they can't easily break. (Think Asimovs 3 laws, but with a 'robot' that can actually interpret them)

And that's where David's situation is REALLY different. He has been given much laxer rules, so that he can function more 'completely'. He just hasn't been aware of this. (Being a hyperspace engineer requires being able to take split-second decisions, possibly even contrary to captain's orders)
The fact that he finds the actions and mannerisms of another rabbit so strange also tells me that the indoctrination may be rather lax on the entire rabbit-population of his home planet.
(And not necessarily just the rabbits... Thinking back to the beginning of chapter 1)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me that David is now in the 'real' Academy - military training...
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And may show up some of the "noble" cadets.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thank you all for the replies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: