Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ship's boy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ready grapples! Prepare to board the enemy"
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone is in for a surprise...

Lets hope it's not on the boarding crew...

Nice touch about the 'open airlock' symbology.
(Similar to the 'lowered undercarriage' on aircraft during WWII. Not that it wasn't abused, or anything back then... )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nice touch about the 'open airlock' symbology.
(Similar to the 'lowered undercarriage' on aircraft during WWII. Not that it wasn't abused, or anything back then... )"

Thank you; that's where I stole it from. =;)
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, for it to work, it needs to be easily visible, and at the distances these ships shoot at each other, I'm not that certain about the feasibility.
If it's combined with no power output from drives and lowered shields it makes more sense.
(Lowered shields as in 'low enough as to not stop a weapon, but will repel stray rocks buzzing past.' Just because you're surrendering doesn't mean you're surrendering all common sense)

In this case, with no drives left and the rest of the ship in a rather messy state, that's a moot point...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
tijn

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to reading. SF always was my favorite, and I think this is great. Sorry to echo the other options, but I have to.

You guys must have been waiting an afwul long time for the next part to appear... I could read 3 posts at once Smile but now, I'm going to have to wait too Confused
Teric

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... this crazy idea may actually work after all.

I was convinced that the jump would put the cruiser's entry point at the same spot as the Hummingbird's, but I didn't account for jump inaccuracies. That gives them a fighting chance now.

Very clever idea to link the fields of the two ships by superconductor!

kcmack

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy flash fried rabbits!!!!

Very nice action scene for this week. One of my more favorite sci fi writers talks a lot about taking injuries in vaccum and makes it sound like a very bad thing. As in, if your not patched withing a very short time(under 30 seconds or so) even a small wound will kill you. I am not sure of how acurate that is though. As far as I know no one has done any tests in space on getting shot in a space suit in vaccum lol.

Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on how one's suit is segmented (if at all). If none, any break is rather fatal if not patched in under 30-40 second (air loss if nothing else). When segmented, lose of the limb affected is most likely...

Anyway, flash-fried is better than flash-frozen (suit failure)...
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE wounds in space-- I reckon the issue's so tech-dependent that everything depends on suit design. For example, how big a hole can self-seal? How fast can the tanks pump out replacement air? And for how long? What about auto-injected drugs? I personally figure that it's better to just set it up however I want to without a ton of explanation, since otherwise I'd just have to bog the reader down in a bunch of fictional details about fictional tech to explain why it's okay to do what I was going to do all along anyway. My _real_ goal is to keep the story strong enough that you really don't take the time to worry about it.

At any rate, thanks to you all for reading, and even more for your kind comments!

On another front... I consider our Old Gray Raccoon to be one of the most dedicated and longest-suffering figures in the entire furry literary fandom. There's nothing more tedious than editing and posting the fiction of others, and Our Raccoon has done so for ages with little or no personal reward, despite personal stress. So, first...

THANK YOU, Old Gray Raccoon!

And second...

I'd like to remind everyone that Our Raccoon has a _paid_ bookshop as well as _free_ one. In that bookstore, two of my other novels ("Transmutation Now!" and "Corpus Lupus"") can be bought, with a third multi-novel book (""Freedom City") coming soon. In order to thank Our Raccoon for what he does, I'm hereby requesting that he either keep my share of the profits from these for himself or else use them to support this website until Labor Day.

So...

If you liked "Ship's Boy", here's your chance to support someone who's done much for the art form (and likely for you personally) with little reward, and help keep the new stories coming. If I give a little and you give a little and others give a little, who knows what we can accomplish? While if none of us give _anything_, well... We all know where that leads.
tijn

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit wrote:
I'm hereby requesting that he either keep my share of the profits from these for himself or else use them to support this website until Labor Day.
If I give a little and you give a little and others give a little, who knows what we can accomplish? ...

I support your initiative!

As to the technicalities of the suit... chemically and physically a foam substance would be a very poor conductor. I'm sure that there are huge loopholes in whatever I write too, but when I read a story, I tend to follow the 'story-telling' abilities of the writer.
I like SF (with or without bunnies Wink). Thank you (and the Old Raccoon) for your work!
kcmack

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own little question got me really wondering so I did a couple searches. I think the problems someone would most likely have would be getting a case of the bends from the sudden loss of pressure in the suit. I also found a interesting website that gives a idea what would happen if you are suddenly exposed to vaccum. http://science.howstuffworks.com/question540.htm

Keep up the good work with your story though. It so far is a great read and I am enjoying the heck out of it. I also agree we need to support our host who does a excellent job!

tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just read the story and I have to say wow. Great detailed describtion.
And I like David a 13 year old slavebunny who has so much potential to become more.

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed, Tobi! Thanks for taking the time to comment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: