Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The B Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Skies will be on the Bookshelf tonight?

Daaaang ... you guys are quick!

SC (tongue in cheek, indeed!)

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Fraz, I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure what 'verse I'm playing in anymore. I just know I'm having fun.

The whole B Team story was driven by events that transpire in James Bruner's excellent Zig Zag The Story. I forget the exact chapters [edit - 54 & 63], but it all started with Zig and James flying down to Knoxville to see his family on a chartered jet. Originally a fanfic, it just didn't fly (oh yes, Filly dear, I can pun too!), so it got bashed and mangled and became ... The B Team.

<shrugs>

Back to work ...

SC

Last edited by The Silver Coyote on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that was one great comeback to my 'tip of the hat' to you, SC. Now to figure out how to get The Old Gray Racoon into this tome . . .

By the way, I couldn't find anything that needed correction. Might have been that distracting background . . . Very Happy

Kel

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
… the heady aroma of JP-5 aviation fuel burning in well-maintained turbine engines, the sight of fifteen thousand feet of concrete stretching before him on a cool dawn in early spring, the feel of the yolk in his left paw,

What about the rest of the egg?

EXan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another chapter. Smile
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now to figure out how to get The Old Gray Racoon into this tome . . .

Who published those stories anyway... [Raccoon Books?]
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only aware of one publishing house on the planet that would have the foresight, clarity of vision, and intestinal fortitude to take on the combined efforts of our dear Filly and the old warhorse. <shameless plug here>

Tell 'em the coyote sent ya!

And no ... I have nothing there. You gotta finish a story before you can send it to a publisher, y'know ...

SC

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd almost forgotten about this story. I thought I might have to go back and reread some to remember what was going on, but I remembered enough (I think).
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to forget something that only pings your server once every fourteen months, Amiga. My apologies to you all for being such a slow-poke. As with so many other authors right now, RL is depriving me of much of my creativity time at the keyboard by keeping me busy with things that won't take "in a minute" for an answer.

And thanks for catching the yolk / yoke thing. That one got by me and my proofers. Good call!

Thank you all for your kind comments on my efforts. In spite of (or perhaps because of) my lack of sleep my muse is even now working away at me, hopefully I won't have drug my paws into 2011 before I get the next chapter up.

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird...

I finished re-reading this story on saturday...
And now there's a new chapter. Smile

Twin-otters...
Fun planes. Could handle almost any weather as long as the wind wasn't too strong.
Solid, too.
Here in Norway, there's even a song in praise of this little plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQvA7SXVBY&feature=related
(I may try to translate the lyrics later, if anyone is interested)

And to keep the last that was in commercial use here in the air, they even raided parts from aircraft in a museum...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father learned to fly from a guy that flew those twin Otters for a regional airline ("Aero Commuter," a forerunner of Golden West Airlines) that served the Los Angeles basin in the late 60s. I remember those aircraft as being sturdy, reliable, and capable of arriving and departing from short airstrips given their size and cargo capacity. Ed, my dad's friend, used to tell some not-quite-hair-raising stories about that aircraft having to do with the treatment it would endure while still being able to earn a profit.

I'd love to see those lyrics translated some day Anthony, at your convenience.

Your remark about the museum piece keeping another airframe airworthy makes me wonder now if any of those are still flying in southern California. I'll have to ask around about that. I haven't seen one in years.

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY hope that they're still flying...

The ones in Commercial use here in Norway was phased out in 2000(I think) when all the small airfields had been expanded to take larger aircraft, so there was no longer any need for this plane.
(It was probably an aircraft donated from the airline that served those small airfields that had been donated to a museum, and then had parts removed. )

Our Air Force had a small squadron(719) of Twin-otters, too, but they were sold off in 2001. One of those were purchased back to the country by a parachute club in 2006, and that one is still flying.
There were supposedly about 550 of them still flying in 2006 around the world.

Also, Bombardier were considering putting an upgraded model (Twin Otter-400 ) back into production but that was back in 2008. Haven't heard anything since.

The air force used the Twin-otter much like the Lysander during WWII; dropping off commandos and such. (You need a plane with great low-speed handling, incredible maneuverability, and also pilots that dare fly at 50' in narrow Norwegian fjords at nighttime for these kinds of missions.)

It was also used as a testbed for our naval Penguin missile by modifying the nose to hold the seeker and electronics from the missile.
(the plane is a bit slower than the missile, as it's rated at .9Mach, but it's agile enough, and could fly low enough to simulate the attack run phase, so they test out real-world scenarios and countermeasures. At one time they even flew out of Puerto Rico to fly in an American weapons range)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly how maneuverable and arobatic capable is a Herc really?

One of our new Hercs took off from Gardermoen international on monday(I think), took a sharp turn across the other runway, then a 90degree aileron roll and knife-edged across the parking areas before rolling bak and climbing off.
Strange thing is that they actually got permission to do the maneuver...

Like my Avatar?
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that when the US military was shopping, the test pilot was told "no aerobatics". He did anyway and it sold.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, a Herc, together with P-3 Orions flew formation over a church as the coffin with the earthly remains of Siri Skare was carried outside for transportation to the churchyard.
Siri was Norway's first female military aviator, and flew among others, the Herc. (She was working as a military advisor for the UN when she was killed in the April first 'demonstrations' in Afghanistan)

A flight of F-16s passed overhead in a 'Missing wingman' formation as the coffin was lowered.

As long as a single military transport flies, Siri's spirit will be up there, flying with them, so keep those props turning.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I figured that the crew of 'The Bitch' wouldn't mind.

Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: