Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homosexual rights downfall of churches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as i am a Wiccan Priest, I'd like to have seen that particualr handfasting. That had to be really unique.
Alexi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was powerful. Good.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
According to some of my more devout Christian acquaintances I'm going to be judged and sentenced to eternity in a very bad place for believing the things I do, and thinking the way I do. Be that as it may. If that day comes, I will look that judge in the eye and say "Fair enough. Do what you believe is right, what you believe is fair, what you believe is just. I did!"

Well, if it turns out they are right, SC, we can spend eternity in "a very bad place" together because I'll be saying much the same thing. And I'd rather spend eternity in that very bad place than five minutes in the company of bigots anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Howellfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...no belief, no crime, no particular sin, damns any person. It's our humanity that damns us. All of us, by rights, every one born into damnation and eternal death, so far as Scripture's concerned. So if your 'devout Christian acquaintances' are telling you you're damned BY any belief or act, they clearly need to spend less time lecturing and more time in prayer and Scripture study(which should hold first priority in any event), cause they've obviously missed a few key points. Wink The absolute most they could claim is that as a new believer becomes a 'new creation' in Christ, with a new relationship with the Creator, the 'new man' would not persistently hold to certain views - but that would be consequence, not cause.

Again I must ask: When we decry religious groups imposing on society, what do we truly mean? Yes, I think there is something very specific behind that statement, but is what you have 'in mind' precisely the same as what you're saying? After all, I think I'm safe in stating that the Bill of Rights makes no stipulations to 'motive' for the freedoms it designs to protect( not create!). As individuals, we have the right to go to the polls and cast our vote, and the motive for our choice is none of the laws damn business. Does the same apply to organizations? Is there a different set of 'rights' and privilege for say, the SPCA, than for Focus on the Family?

Gun control policies affect all, regardless of position on the matter; But, there's no controversy there because it's not a religious issue - only one of emotion, principle, and even morality(all those tragic accidents with children!)

Economic policies effect all, but again, it's only principle. You know - government redistribution of wealth, corporate greed and victimization, things like that. But then, these are purely 'general'(and often opposing!) principles we're speaking of, not organized systems of belief....

Not to mention the entire Capital A - fill-in-the-blank - N issue.

Do we strike down local 'religious' laws forbidding stores to do business on the Sabbath while leaving in place laws governing the operating hours of bars and taverns? Why? After all, they were both instituted by duly elected civil authority, affect all equally, and target no denomination religious institution or group over another. Is it so wrong, so imposing or restrictive, to simply accept it as part of the cultural coloring of the community? Of what constitutional significance is motive?

*Folds his hands* Let's - let's look at it from this perspective. Certain very orthodox sects and communities notwithstanding(and it perhaps applies even then), I think we'll find common agreement that it's good for religious groups to have some openness to external realities and culture, and be flexible in their interactions with the culture at large. A necessary corollary to this in an open society is that the influence - and impact - moves both ways. And both within these institutions and without, the questions of degree and shape of that exchange are, I think, far from simple.

(I have this terrible suspicion I'm beginning to repeat myself. Confused )

My 2 cents. Confused
Alexi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat, no.

Clarify, yes.

I was a little in question on some of your previous posts about what you thought in spots but this cleared things up a lot. Thank you.

Sadly I have had a lot of contact and interaction with the types that SC mentioned. I think it's part of the reason I first looked into Wicca seriously.

As I stand now. Any sin I have, I picked up and donned myself through my own actions and words. The Lord and Lady are just as quick to forgive as they are to punish. The hard part, and indeed the hardest thing I've ever had to do, is forgive myself. My sins come off and are forgotten, when I allow myself to set them down and let them go.

This is incredibly hard when your self worth is the lowest value you hold.
Howellfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought on the secularization of marriage:

Why not reduce all 'legally recognized' marriage to 'common law'?

There would obviously be certain inconveniences, but in return it would, at least I think it might, offer the enormous benefit of effectively 'decoupling' the 'legal' aspects of marriage(relevant to taxes, benefits, etc. etc. and soforth), with the personal and 'ceremonial' aspects - and as an added benefit would impose at least some demonstration of commitment on the part of the parties involved. I suppose there could still be some form of document issued 'on the spot', that's legally a 'notice of-', say; of some value for couples living on premises with a number of other people, but otherwise legally powerless. Might cool the whole issue down a few degrees.

Just a thought. Confused
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howellfan wrote:
Here's a thought on the secularization of marriage:

Why not reduce all 'legally recognized' marriage to 'common law'?

There would obviously be certain inconveniences, but in return it would, at least I think it might, offer the enormous benefit of effectively 'decoupling' the 'legal' aspects of marriage(relevant to taxes, benefits, etc. etc. and soforth), with the personal and 'ceremonial' aspects - and as an added benefit would impose at least some demonstration of commitment on the part of the parties involved. I suppose there could still be some form of document issued 'on the spot', that's legally a 'notice of-', say; of some value for couples living on premises with a number of other people, but otherwise legally powerless. Might cool the whole issue down a few degrees.

Just a thought. Confused

The thought isn't without merit, but the problem in this case wouldn't come with those thusly married, but for their children. Inheritance from one's parents would be complicated if there is no legally binding contract between the parents. Besides, a lot of people specifically WANT to get married because it symbolizes a legally binding comitment and I know of people who specifically DON'T want to get married for that reason. However, it's an interesting thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: