Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some things to drool over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That B-52 seemed a little unstable on takeoff. I wonder if there was a design / manufacturing problem, or maybe something interfered with the control signals from the controller transmitter?

Oh, that B-29 was a honey. Retractable gear! Excellent!

When is someone going to make a C-130 RC model that size?

Thanks for sharing those, Mike.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:

. . .When is someone going to make a C-130 RC model that size?

Thanks for sharing those, Mike.

SC

How about this, SC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCqMSRWbpY

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to be a kid on that school bus, Mike. But that was kind of fun.

And thanks, Tigermark, for giving me something new and totally unaffordable to lust after. That was an awesome RC C-130, although if I had built it I think I would have painted it dark gray overall.

I was waiting for some cargo to drop off the ramp on one of the flybys. Perhaps that is a future plan of the builder. That would be cool, and could have some money-earning potential for the builder as well.

Now some enterprising soul needs to figure out how to make the RC model blow visible exhaust trails like the prototypes do, and then they would be indistinguishable from their bigger counterparts at a distance!

<sigh> Too bad there aren't 36 hours in a day, instead of 24. And too bad I don't have a gold mine in my back yard.

Thank you, gentlefurs, for the videos.

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to see is a scale model C-130 taking off with JATO assist...

Of course, that would probably not be legal in most parts of the world.
(Rocket powered + RC equipment = Missile according to some, and that's 'military toys'... )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be done easily enough, I suppose, the law notwithstanding. Model rocketry is fairly popular here in soCal, it probably wouldn't take some enterprising soul too much work to figure out how to apply some of those chemical rocket motors to the side of a big RC model without damaging the host aircraft. Most of those model rocket motors only fire for two or three seconds anyway, at least those that I have seen.

On our last trip to the Owens Valley my son Adam and I had an opportunity to watch an amateur rocketeer in action. His first flight was flawless, his missile ascending what appeared to be several hundred feet before the motor shut down. Then a flaming red parachute deployed and the missile returned gently to earth, easily found downrange in the sage, which is all varying shades of green and brown.

The second flight didn't go so well. The parachute didn't deploy, and the rocket fell quickly to earth. We casually assisted in the search for a little while and then moved on. Later we noticed from a distance that the rocketeer and his father were also moving on, empty handed.

At least the rockets on the side of an RC aircraft could be returned for re-use. Assuming that their exhaust didn't set the host airframe on fire first ...

That's an interesting comment about the law and radio controlled missiles. I will look into that, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for peaking my interest!

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching that maiden flight I am leaning towards pilot-induced deviations from stable flight, as opposed to a rigging or airframe problem. That first takeoff looked really rough, but after a few minutes in the air it looked great. <shrugs> An amazing RC model, whatever the case.

Thanks again, Mike.

SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: