Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change of Seasons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai,
Please do not end things at chapter #25, we would not see Kal go to the Olimpics or Jo Ann find out that twins are at hand.
I have not been a reagular reader in the Coonaverse, and came in via Tigermark's story. You and your fellow writers have done a very good job of world building, don't let it go to waste.
I was saddened when Rava Purr left the field for HP fanfiction, I found her story only a couple of months before it came down. I wish there was an archive for furry fiction, even the unfinished stuff, some of the ideas were very interesting.
I had better get to bed, the darvoset is starting to kick in and I am making lots of typos. FYI I broke my ankle and messed up my knee last week and am reading in bed.

I will be commenting, when I am able and have secure computer acess.

ghostcat out
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

Please tell us that it's pouring down where you are.
(Nothing worse than being bedbound on a sunny day)

As for the story ending after chapter 25?
Doesn't that mean the author have to start another story? Wink
Besides, he knows that if he stops, I might start...
(I have a dirty imagination. Very dirty. )

Anyway...
It's winter, right?
Why not try something a bit exotic?
http://www.icehotel.com/Winter/
They even have a chapel, so that people can get married there.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Benleopard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*jaw drop and hangs*

holly *****... thats alot of things going on Nicolai... you can't have thing end so soon... WOW. Keep it up and you will challenge a certain filly for best author rights.
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benleopard wrote:
*jaw drop and hangs*

holly *****... thats alot of things going on Nicolai... you can't have thing end so soon... WOW. Keep it up and you will challenge a certain filly for best author rights.

That's quite a compliment there, Ben. Embarassed

I'm not in the Filly's class, not by a long way, and there are easily quite a few other authors on the Bookshelf and elsewhere who are better than I am. I can think of a half dozen who are actively writing today, and with a little thought I'm sure I could double that number. I work at being a wordsmith, and with enough practice I may get there. Right now, using the old guild terminology, I'm a senior apprentice, or maybe (at best) a junior journeyman. No more than that.

The Filly passed her Master's exam long ago. If you doubt me, go read her latest work, "Till Next Time". Just get a new box of tissues before you start reading, you'll need them. Then go read the thread I started about the story. As I said there, I am incapable of writing something like that. Someday, in the future, perhaps, just perhaps, I can attempt something of that magnitude.

<edit>

I've been thinking about CoS, and making comparisons with the other stories that have so much more feedback. One thing jumps out at me. I am writing with an ensemble cast and don't really have a 'main' or 'lead' character, where all of the other stories do. They're told primarily from a single viewpoint. Is that where I went wrong, not providing that central character that the readers can identify with?

At this point, there is no way for me to change that in this story. Even if I did go through the massive amount of work such a rewrite would entail, all I would do would be to create an entirely different story. Even with the same plot and characters, the story would be completely changed. And I have no idea whether it would change the feedback at all.

So I'm not going to do that. I am planning to restart 'Warrior's Song', and I am going to attempt to maintain the viewpoint of the lead character. I'll see what happens with that.

And I'll reconsider continuing CoS. At this point, I don't know which way I'll go.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.

Last edited by Nicolai Borovskaya on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benleopard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
Benleopard wrote:
*jaw drop and hangs*

That's quite a compliment there, Ben. Embarassed

I'm not in the Filly's class, not by a long way, and there are easily quite a few other authors on the Bookshelf and elsewhere who are better than I am. I can think of a half dozen who are actively writing today, and with a little thought I'm sure I could double that number. I work at being a wordsmith, and with enough practice I may get there. Right now, using the old guild terminology, I'm a senior apprentice, or maybe (at best) a junior journeyman. No more than that.

The Filly passed her Master's exam long ago. If you doubt me, go read her latest work, "Till Next Time". Just get a new box of tissues before you start reading, you'll need them. Then go read the thread I started about the story. As I said there, I am incapable of writing something like that. Someday, in the future, perhaps, just perhaps, I can attempt something of that magnitude.

Been there, done that... cryed myself silly while reading. Had to stop reading a few times to regain some control. But you are getting closer to her caliber Nicolai, just keep hashing out great chapters/stories and you will be an equal to the filly.
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai - you're doing very well with your ensemble cast. You can always try a more focused, single character, piece later...

But it's not the length but the depth and the Clan has that depth.

In other words - 'it's the journey, not the destination'...
Benleopard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazikar wrote:
Nicolai - you're doing very well with your ensemble cast. You can always try a more focused, single character, piece later...

But it's not the length but the depth and the Clan has that depth.

In other words - 'it's the journey, not the destination'...

here here... nice touch of ancient egypt there. And I really do agree with that being said, but if you really think about it the whole clan (generation 1) is each a individual but yet together one complex character.
ghostcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai,
the ensemble cast is working very well, IMHO. Continuing Warrior's Song would be great also, the world of voice actors is not seen very often.
I hope that you continue both, but it is your choice and I wish you well.

Hoping to see something new posted soon.

ghostcat
tobi3B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK just finished my books and Open Season thought best start with the story that all this started Very Happy
Now I´m beginning to read Change of season.

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this is something I should check out (once I find that magical 25th hour of the day or once I'm done with the project I'm working on at the museum, leaving me TIME to read again). And Nicolai, thanks for the praise, but this isn't a contest. Writing styles are always going to be different.

I realize that a goodly number of my readers are slumping off a bit because of the book I'm working on now. I can only hope they'll stick around to the last three or four chapters where aaall the loose ends get tied up. But once it's over, I hope the next thing I'll be writing will get everyone riled again.

Look, it's not about who's best. It's just about enjoying what you do. No one in their right mind would compare a cubist painter to a clacissist either. But both are artists nonetheless Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Filly. *bows deeply* This is an unexpected honor.

I am well aware that it is not a contest, nor do I ever expect to consider it that way. Comparisons are inevitable, though I, for one, will not make them publicly.

But I am well aware of the difference in quality between us. I am a diligent amateur, you are a consummate professional. While I do aspire to someday approach your ability, I never expect to equal you, or a number of other authors on this forum and others.

I hopefully await your comments on my effort.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what ... I'll make a concerted effort at getting a look at it over the Weekend. It's going to be busy-weekend for me (every second weekend is) but Sunday should hopefully be reasonably calm Smile

No promises that I will be able to manage but I'll TRY at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me when I say I understand, Filly. When you have the time, I know you will read it. Until then, I will wait patiently.

Thank you.

<edit>

You may want to read 'Open Season', by Rick Coona, first. He created the Coonaverse, and his story provided the framework, locale, and many of the characters for my story.

TM's 'For a Season' and Karou's 'Everything in its Own Season' are built on Rick's and my stories. The character Veronica Dae Wynn, whom I introduced in chapter 24, is Karou's.

</edit>

<second edit, Sept. 4>

If you haven't found out already, Filly, be aware that Change of Seasons is now more than 186,000 words. It may take more than a weekend to read. Wink

</edit>

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any news on the missing author?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking in Tennessee...

http://www.planetfurry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=249752&highlight=#249752

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: