Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When the pilot says it - then does it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you kind of shake your head and wonder what was motivating those pilots to make that landing, no matter what. Personally, I don't think I'd be willing to take those kinds of chances with that kind of hardware, never mind risking whatever lives may be along for the ride.

It's possible that at least some of these may be test flights for the express purpose of testing maximum crosswind component for the aircraft involved, and for those test pilots I say "Good job, guys. Way to earn your pay."

If I were a paying passenger on one of those flights, once effecting a change of clothing I'd very likely be looking for a lawyer, or a sidearm.

Cool videos, though. The visible control inputs demonstrate that at least a couple of those guys new exactly what they were doing. Former carrier pilots, perhaps?

Thanks for sharing, Mike.

SC

Katra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not 'land no matter what.' Four of the ten were were clearly aborted (the pilot pulling up to go around or land elsewhere.)
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last 747 at 1:50 or so was skewed about 30 degrees right just before landing! He 'flew' it back straight just as he sat the wheels down! Yipe!

The seat in my computer chair has a pucker just from watching that video. I also agree with the consensus that several of those pilots were ex-military.

Kel

Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellan Meig'h wrote:
That last 747 at 1:50 or so was skewed about 30 degrees right just before landing! He 'flew' it back straight just as he sat the wheels down! Yipe!

The seat in my computer chair has a pucker just from watching that video. I also agree with the consensus that several of those pilots were ex-military.

Kel

Well, Kel, if your chair has a pucker mark, that's pretty good. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate most of those landings as a pucker factor 6-7. I've seen a pucker factor 10 landing, in person. Thankfully I was on the ground. I honestly don't know how he landed it. Three consecutive clear-air microbursts, spaced about 100 meters apart and the first one right at the end of the pavement on the approach. I'm surprised the last one didn't collapse the gear.

The pilot who told me about the pucker factor was an ex-Navy carrier pilot. He described a pucker factor 10 as requiring surgery to recover the aircraft seat. Razz

He flew a Phantom off the Kitty Hawk during Viet Nam. And pucker factor applies to any airborne situation, not just landing. His example was .50 cal bullet holes stitching their way through the wing root, about 6 inches from the fuselage.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Phantom Phacts. Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
The pilot who told me about the pucker factor was an ex-Navy carrier pilot. He described a pucker factor 10 as requiring surgery to recover the aircraft seat. Razz

He flew a Phantom off the Kitty Hawk during Viet Nam. And pucker factor applies to any airborne situation, not just landing. His example was .50 cal bullet holes stitching their way through the wing root, about 6 inches from the fuselage.

I was a WCS Tech on the F-4D Phantom II (A Phantom Phixer!) so I'm real familiar with all the 'fun stuff' those .50 cal. bullets could tear through.

The short list: Flight surface hydraulics, Main gear hydraulics, Fuel lines, Leading edge slat air (bleed air from the compressor stages to augment lift), Electrical cabling for the inboard and outboard pylons, hydraulics to fold the wing tip just to name a few. Shocked

I was back-seat qualified to diagnose repeat radar malfunctions so I took more than a few rides in my time. An awesome aircraft that flies remarkably smooth for a fighter. Cool

The McDonnell-Douglas F-4 Phantom II, "World’s Leading Distributor of MiG Parts"

Kel

Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kel, apparently the rounds missed the main gear hydraulics, because he was able to land safely.

He did mention that the landing was a pucker factor 8, though. Shocked

And they made him wait and land last.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to consider that the fuel situation probably played a great motivator in some if not all of those landings and attempted landings.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:

And they made him wait and land last.

That's standard practice on 'limited size' fields everywhere.
Land the most damaged aircraft last in case they make a bobo on the runway...
And if the aircraft next to last crashes, it's less of a loss if the last pilot ejects from a damaged but still flying craft, than if a pilot ejects from a brand new one...

BTW: The Phantom?
Wasn't that the one that was designed without guns because someone thought that dogfigths was outdated by missiles?

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
BTW: The Phantom?
Wasn't that the one that was designed without guns because someone thought that dogfigths was outdated by missiles?

You got it!

They mounted SUU-23 gun pods on the C & D models and the E model came with a 20mm Vulcan cannon internal as standard ordnance.

Kel

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably watched this video a dozen times. Still never gets old. yes, te Boeing 767 in there (twice!) was undergoing crosswind landing evaluation testing. Amazing what an airliner can actually do, huh?

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it's deffinantly Pucker especially when your sitting on the right side window seat. And look out the window and your looking down the run way as you come in for a landing. I like a good adrenalian rush every now and then, but not like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: