Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Tiger's Den Log.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, T. We missed you.

I hope you're battening down the hatches for the next round ...

Would it be inappropriate for me to discuss the soCal weather? It's a balmy 70 degrees under absolutely clear skies with a mild east wind just before the Super Bowl. Tomorrow's forecast calls for more of the same as the Santa Anas pick up, highs near 80.

<dodges the iceball thrown by the tiger>

Hey, I'm just sayin'!

<winks, grinning> Glad you and yours are OK amigo.

SC

Teric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises a paw*

I can confirm SC's weather report.

Glad to see you back online, TM!

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly but surely this area is recovering. Schools are atill out, but should resume tomorrow. My work is up north of here, and at last report won't resume until Wednesday. yep,we at the Tiger's Den are pretty resilient, and so is West Kentucky.

The most tragic part of the event? A man in his 70's who lived nearby who, despite everyone he talked to warning him, chose to run the generator he'd just bought in a storage room off his kitchen. He was found early the next morning dead from carbon monoxide.

The funniest thing? the rescue call from a couple who called in to say they were trapped in their house by fallen trees and that smoke was coming in. Upon arriving, the rescue workers found a large tree blocking the front door, but a quick walk around back revealed the man standing on his back deck and the back door completely open. When asked about it, his response was, "Oh, well, we never use the back door."

The smoke? It came from the TV and several computers that fried when the power glitched and spiked. before going out.

My new tagline, I think, might be, "If you're prepared, it might be an inconvenience, but it isn't an emergency."

Stay safe, y'all

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got lots of time to write, then (jk) ^_~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell replacement parts...

So why buy completely new lamps if the old ones can be fixed?

Me?
I have a 'traditional' oil-lamp on a shelf, with a 1L bottle of oil and a box of matches close by.
Heating can be accomplished with my wood stove, and if I need to cook anything during a black-out, I have the luxury of choosing between the Trangia spirit-based cooker, or the MSR 'Pocket rocket' gas-burner.
(Didn't get a wood burner with cooking area as they're bigger than what I need for the apartment)

If you live in an area where temperatures can drop below freezing, make bl**dy certain that you can heat your building if you lose electricity/gas for any reason.

Also, note that oil-lamps gas-burners, spirit-burners and all that WILL require ventilation. People have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning during blackouts. And don't forget to test the stuff at least once every year...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Independence Day all. And remember those who are fighting the fight in our behalf around the world. And let's also remember those who are yearning and striving for freedom and independence, wherever they are.

Tigermark Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
Happy Independence Day all. And remember those who are fighting the fight in our behalf around the world. And let's also remember those who are yearning and striving for freedom and independence, wherever they are.

Tigermark Very Happy
This is one of the few things I will say 'AMEN' to, my friend. ^_^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karou WindStalker wrote:
Tigermark wrote:

Tigermark Very Happy

Well said, both of you. I will add "AMEN" as well.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
Karou WindStalker wrote:
Tigermark wrote:

Tigermark Very Happy

Well said, both of you. I will add "AMEN" as well.

*bows his head in reverence*

So say we all.

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to those fighting for us abroad. A couple of weeks ago, a young lady who grew up in our church, and married a young man who went into the Army, was home for a visit. She brought with her another young Army wife. (They're stationed in Colorado) They had a wonderful visit, and we were glad to welcome the young lady.

dang, I hate bad news. I just received word that the other young lady's husband has been killed by a suicide bomber in 'Stan.

please folks, no rants, no political arguments. please just remember a fallen warrior, and the young widow in your prayers.

Tigermark

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew who to pray to, my friend, I would.

I would pray for an end to all the fighting.

I would pray for an end to all the stupidity.

I would pray for a way or all of the different peoples of this world to get along..

But mostly I would pray that those who have given their lives for those they love would find a reward commensurate with their sacrifice, and able to let their families know that they're waiting for them once their time is up as well.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no political statement to be made, Tiger. This is human tragedy, pure and simple, and every soldier who loses his or her life in this war, leaves behind bereaved.

I hope she'll find solace in the support she's sure to get from so many people ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediFur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely sorry to hear of this happening. I hope her pain is short, and her extended family within the Army unit her husband was in helps her cope and recover from her loss. Sad

-Jedi

Did you Know?
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deepest sympathies to the young lady. Pray

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received word that my brother-in-law, who lives up in Dayton, OH, and has been battling lung cancer for several months, has taken a bad turn. My niece emailed to say the cancer has spread to liver and bone, and he has only days to live. My sister, who he was married to, passed away in 2002, but this is going to be very hard on their large, and very extended family. Your prayers and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

TM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: