Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Email not receving mail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Email not receving mail Reply with quote

Since the server switch I have not received any main through my PF account. I can log in, both using Squirrelmail and my normal email proggy, but there have not been any emails since. I can send, I sent a test mail to my other email account, but the reply to it hasn't shown up in the PF mailbox.
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I had that problem once, when I deleted a lot of spam in Squirrelmail and forgot to empty the trash folder. In any case, I just checked my mail and everything is empty (Inbox, Sent, Trash, Drafts). Maybe my quota got reduced for some reason?

edit:
Ok, this is officially weird.

According to the site admin tool I have used 25MB of my 20MB quota, but when I log in with FTP and check what is actually in my data directory, I get about 5 MB of data. Either there is 20MB of hidden files somewhere or the quota calculation is way off.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could one of the amins please have a look what is going on here?

According to the site admin tool, I have 25MB of data with a 20MB quota. When I log in via FTP, I see about 5MB of data in my directory.

What's going on here?

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bumped your account's disk quota up to help clear up the issue.

If you need to retain a lot of email on the server, we'll need to make appropriate adjustments. Otherwise, I recommend setting up an account on a third-party email service like Gmail, allowing it to download your @planetfurry.com email via POP3, but making much more space available than we can practically provide (7.2+ GB at this point).
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for increasing the quota.

But I would really like to know why there is such a big mismatch between the the numbers reported in the user admin tool and the numbers I see on FTP .

(25 MB reported on the user tool, 5 MB seen on FTP, difference is almost exactly the quota)
The numbers I see from FTP DO include the mailbox files (which are empty anyway and a few hundred bytes each).

I would really like to know if this was a hickup that happened during the server move (it happened at that time) or if there is some hidden stuff on my account, that I can't see through my FTP client (because my account was hacked or whatever).

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
With all the stuff I work on my comp is on nearly 24/7.
My email program is set to move everything off the server and onto my hard drive every 10 minutes. That drive is backed up each time a file is saved and the back up saves 5 revisions. I have not run into this problem.
I know someone though that had online storage and when they decided to quit business he spent several weeks trying to move all the stuff he had there to another one and lost some because time ran out.

That is a valid concern to using online services. The recommendation was made to allow more online-accessible disk space for email, while not affecting (at least as much) available storage on the Planetfurry server.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
Thanks for increasing the quota.

But I would really like to know why there is such a big mismatch between the the numbers reported in the user admin tool and the numbers I see on FTP .

(25 MB reported on the user tool, 5 MB seen on FTP, difference is almost exactly the quota)
The numbers I see from FTP DO include the mailbox files (which are empty anyway and a few hundred bytes each).

I would really like to know if this was a hickup that happened during the server move (it happened at that time) or if there is some hidden stuff on my account, that I can't see through my FTP client (because my account was hacked or whatever).

Actually, I see what's going on. At the moment, system backups are being put on the same partition as everything else. This is negatively affecting quotas, and was an oversight on my part. It has been this way since the server move, since the original backup store was no longer available.

I'll need to run it by Hikaru, however to fix this I need to create a new partition (preferably on a new virtual disk) that is isolated from the quota services.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quota problem should be resolved now. My apologies for any problems this might have caused. Thanks to Hikaru for his help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: