Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airplanes vs Women

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An airplane will always move it's tail in exactly the way you ask it to." ... which can be a problem if you're not paying attention to what you are doing at the time ...

Thanks for the wise words, Mike. Anyone else got any to add to the list?

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Airplanes ... Reply with quote

You know, I'll have to PM you the one I was gonna post ...

You decide!

Kellan, the (naughty) old warhorse.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you have the honor of posting it Kel. I thought it was funny ...

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Oh Boy! Reply with quote

(with SC's blessings... !)

Airplanes respond in a (somewhat) predictable manner when you touch their controls.

Kel

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With airplanes, every approach is expected to end in a successful landing.

And even when you have to go around, they expect you to approach again, right then.

(They also don't smile at you when you crash and burn.)

TM Rolling Eyes Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if this is the direction the thread is taking ... consider:

I can approach my aircraft at any time, in any condition, for any purpose, and it will fly with me. Provided I have shown it the proper amount of attention in terms of:

1) Scheduled maintenance (take care of your baby)

2) Unscheduled maintenance (take double-good care of your baby when unexpected things go wrong.)

3) Currency of systems (upgraded to the latest, coolest gadgetry. You know, those glittery or shiny baubles that may not make it fly any faster or farther, but that just seem to make it fly "better.")

4) Upkeep (cleanliness not only of the aircraft, but of the hangar it stays in waiting for me. What's that? You don't keep your aircraft in a nice hangar when you're not actually flying? Could be trouble ...)

5) Hangout time (sometimes it's good to just go down to the airport and spend some time with your aircraft in the hangar, and not actually jump in it and go fly somewhere. Foul weather days are good for this, or days when you don't quite have have the money for fuel, but still want to be in an "airplane" mood.)

And when I'm actually expecting to fly somewhere, it is good to think about these things as well:

1) Pre-flight. No pilot worth his weight in saltpeter will expect any aircraft to fly anywhere with him if he fails to perform a thorough, comprehensive pre-flight inspection. Depending on complexity of systems involved this inspection can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Don't cut corners! The life you save will be your own.

2) It is well that the pilot should pause before taking the runway to gently exercise the flight control systems and engines to ensure that the aircraft is actually ready to fly. Failure to do this will put the pilot in an untenable, unsalvagable situation very quickly.

3) Once you're climbing away from the airport, it is sometimes a good idea to let the aircraft tell you where it wants to go.

4) On rare occasion the aircraft will let you know that it's time to abort the mission, and this may happen before you reach your objective. Listen to your aircraft. Again, the life you save ...

5) Upon final approach at your destination it is always a good idea to make sure your aircraft is ready for landing. Failure to insure that your aircraft is happy with the arrival will make your arrival unhappy as well.

6) Always spend a bit of time with the aircraft after engine shutdown. You can learn valuable things about the health and welfare of your baby by simply listening to it as it cools. When the aircraft is finally quiet and in repose, then you may go about your business, whatever it may be. Remember what you learned, and apply the knowledge towards your next flight.

You will be a better pilot for your attentiveness.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played with, er, played, sir.

TM.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: