Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> jaymeefox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Elfen_Furry
Moderator


Joined: 18 Jun 2002
Posts: 2601
Location: NYC NY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navena has gotten hurt doing what she like best- Motor Dirt Bike racing. She took too high of a jump and messed up her knees badly. Other than that- she's healing and trying to do well.
_________________
SHARKS In The Gene Pool South of Kosovo!
*CHOMP!*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
ScottyDM
Registered User


Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Posts: 1137
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Then of course I will be 54 this year.
Hey! How come I've been getting older and you haven't? By next year we'll be the same age.


Jaymee:

When I was consulting in California I rented a small house out there as a combination office and place to crash at night. Because I left a lot of expensive stuff out there when I was at home in Colorado, I got a roomie. He was partly deaf.

He tried to hide it and most people didn't know, but he compensated for not hearing everything that was said by playing the clown and joking around. He was in his late 20s and many adults thought he was a bit of a buffoon or nor very sharp--which wasn't true.

He qualified for a free hearing aid through this program, but it didn't quite fit right and sometimes fed back, so he didn't always wear it. I remember the first day he had it he told me, "Wow, we sure live in a noisy neighborhood!"

He was quite a character and a fun person. He had Popeye's arms, Bluto's neck, Sonic the hedgehog's hair (but blond), and Danny DeVito's legs. He was also something of a clean freak.

Besides "forgetting" to collect the rent from him some months (he was underemployed) I taught him how to drive.

Scotty

_________________
Kantaro wrote:
Almost real enough to be considered non-fiction, if it weren't made up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner


Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 582
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:


Jaymee:

When I was consulting in California I rented a small house out there as a combination office and place to crash at night. Because I left a lot of expensive stuff out there when I was at home in Colorado, I got a roomie. He was partly deaf.

He tried to hide it and most people didn't know, but he compensated for not hearing everything that was said by playing the clown and joking around. He was in his late 20s and many adults thought he was a bit of a buffoon or nor very sharp--which wasn't true.

He qualified for a free hearing aid through this program, but it didn't quite fit right and sometimes fed back, so he didn't always wear it. I remember the first day he had it he told me, "Wow, we sure live in a noisy neighborhood!"

He was quite a character and a fun person. He had Popeye's arms, Bluto's neck, Sonic the hedgehog's hair (but blond), and Danny DeVito's legs. He was also something of a clean freak.

Besides "forgetting" to collect the rent from him some months (he was underemployed) I taught him how to drive.

Scotty


Wow, some deaf people have it unforunately hard than most of us because of how they were raised, how the parents view and treat the deaf culture.

To this day year 2007, there are deaf people passing out sign language business size cards and pens with messages you pull out - they are selling them for 2 dollars or the messages asking "please give me 2 dollars"

I am utterly digusted with the deaf people today. They can accomplish as much as they want/can but they are not doing it for many reasons mainly is their education and being lazy.

I am born deaf and I graduated from High school then finished my college education with Bachelors of Fine Arts in Commercial Arts. I am a digital retouching professional and I entered a job as a temporary for a month, became full time worked for 7 months before I got promoted to management and I experienced management for one year and decided to move to another part of the store to learn some more.

Those people CAN do things and have jobs. I just dislike how they reflect themselves or the deaf culture as this or that.

I am not talking about your friend... just a little thought to share. Smile Pardon my spelling, I am typing them as I visualize them in pronouncing. yes I can talk, I spent 18 years in speech thearpy.



thank you for sharing with me Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner


Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 582
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: 400th MARK!! Reply with quote

Ooooh the post before this *shown up * was my 400th mark of posting LETS CELEBRATE!!!!

#Beer #Beer #Beer #Beer #Beer #Beer Dancing Boo hoo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
AmigaDragon
Registered User


Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Posts: 839
Location: Far Northern Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Bearion wrote:
Both of my children have selective hearing loss. Does that count? Wink


*Snicker* Show me a child that doesn't exhibit those symptoms. Laughing

Cateagle

Dad had a selective hearing problem (or is it selective listening) LONG before he decided he needed hearing aids, which was a few years before he finally got some (last year). In fact, even when I think I've already gotten his attention, I still have to start talking more than once for him to start listening.
My next brother had temporary loss, but a trip to the clinic told him it was just a wax build-up, which they uncorked. Wink
Myself, I don't detect any loss yet at 45, but I do suffer from tinnitus... since elementary school. Though I never realized the ringing wasn't "normal" until perhaps 10-15 years ago. Despite this annoying ringing, which increases and decreases in volume but never leaves, I do occasionally detect (feel, hear, whatever) the sound fields from some ultrasonic pest repellers when I go into stores and such.

I don't think know any fully deaf people, furry or not, but on SecondLife, I do know a couple mute furries, one from birth, one from injury.

_________________
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner


Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 582
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
Cateagle wrote:
Bearion wrote:
Both of my children have selective hearing loss. Does that count? Wink


*Snicker* Show me a child that doesn't exhibit those symptoms. Laughing

Cateagle

Dad had a selective hearing problem (or is it selective listening) LONG before he decided he needed hearing aids, which was a few years before he finally got some (last year). In fact, even when I think I've already gotten his attention, I still have to start talking more than once for him to start listening.
My next brother had temporary loss, but a trip to the clinic told him it was just a wax build-up, which they uncorked. Wink
Myself, I don't detect any loss yet at 45, but I do suffer from tinnitus... since elementary school. Though I never realized the ringing wasn't "normal" until perhaps 10-15 years ago. Despite this annoying ringing, which increases and decreases in volume but never leaves, I do occasionally detect (feel, hear, whatever) the sound fields from some ultrasonic pest repellers when I go into stores and such.

I don't think know any fully deaf people, furry or not, but on SecondLife, I do know a couple mute furries, one from birth, one from injury.


Well get your gabbing started with me and you will know a full deaf furry which is me Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
ScottyDM
Registered User


Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Posts: 1137
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaymee:

Are you watching The Amazing Race this season? One of the teams is a mom and her deaf, adult son. The first week they kicked everyone's butt and came in first. Next Sunday will be the 4th week and they are still in it.

The son is a touch frustrated because he doesn't read lips and he's been flirting with the two blond girls on one of the other teams. He wants to be able to communicate better with them. They've been passing notes back and forth and his mother thinks it's kinda cute.

S-

_________________
Kantaro wrote:
Almost real enough to be considered non-fiction, if it weren't made up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> jaymeefox All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group