Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Story Contest for Fall 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Short Story Contest for Fall 2008 Reply with quote

Greets, Peeps!

The short story contest for fall 2008 is upon us. The theme for this quarter is Ghost Story.

I probably need to come up with a decent writeup for the theme, but how hard can ghost story be? Well, it's also got to be anthrofiction as well as a ghost story, and I won't accept the argument that ordinary ghosts are anthropomorphic characters.

That's all for now.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entry closing date is fast approaching. I've bumped it back by one day to prevent a possible conflict with my schedule. The new entry date is Sunday, December 7th, at the end of the day (GMT). See more here.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have posted this earlier, but the judging period is open. Six ballots so far. But, as I promised, here are direct links to the stories with opening lines for each:
Quote:
Fleeting Glimpse

Cody cracked his toy dinosaurs together with a loud, forceful pop. The kitten let out a sharp hiss and a couple of meows, attempting to make his toys sound ferocious as he scraped and banged the plastic beasts against each other. Cody’s father couldn’t help but smile. He watched on from the bench underneath the window alcove as his son tried to imitate the noises of his imaginary, prehistoric duel.

read more

Quote:
Through Me

Red Eye. That’s what they call someone like me: someone who can see the dead. Ghosts, demons, angels – whatever you want to call them – I can see them. My name is Rex Tanner. I’m a homicide detective for what was once Spokane, Washington. It’s name was changed after the eruption wiped it out and changed the entire landscape of the planet. Yellowstone – Funny, I never thought that Kay was one for geological studies when I met her.

read more

Quote:
A Father’s Skin

Amanti was not yet old enough to be initiated, but he knew that it was his father wearing the cloak of furs made from the skins of his ancestors. He had seen the musty old collection of wolf-furs at home, bound and sewn together, a dozen empty heads laying flat against the mud wall and with the shadows through the holes of their eyes, and he knew that his father wore them when the spirits were free to roam, when the ancestors stole back to life.

read more

A reminder. The theme this quarter is ghost story and here are the rules for story scoring.

Enjoy! And thanks.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder and Announcement

I've decided to go with the new schedule, therefore this quarter's judging period will be one month rather than four weeks because I don't need to shrink each of the next four quarters to get back on the old schedule. Thus the new deadline for last day of judging the fall contest is Wednesday the 7th rather than Sunday the 4th.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results for the Fall 2008 Anthrofiction Short Story Contest

• A Father’s Skin by foozzzball won with a score of 4.34
  • Fleeting Glimpse by Sean Silva a.k.a duroc earned a score of 3.41
  • Through Me by Azola earned a score of 2.59

The contest results can be viewed here, and congratulations to all the authors. Each story had something to recommend it.

I'd like to thank the authors and readers for their contributions. Without you the site would be useless.

Scotty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: