Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A sad state of affairs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sciath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone looking for a job currently, I suddenly feel better about my chances!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciath wrote:
As someone looking for a job currently, I suddenly feel better about my chances!

Exactly!

If you go to the original post and click on that link you see the Chicago company that created that page is always looking for an intern or two. Even though I have no interest in moving to Chicago I considered sending them my resume and a cover letter just so they'd have something literate to look at this week. The page author wrote:
Quote:
Good news: An error-free letter is now so freakin' rare that the minimal care required to send a letter with zero defects, combined with a few crisply written simple declarative sentences, will, alone, guarantee a respectful reading of a résumé. Maybe even secure an interview.

Wink

Scotty

Pflarrian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice theory, that.

This entire problem is the sole reason why I have opted to NOT go into teaching, no matter how much fun I think it would be. ^oo^'

I watch the chat forums on World of Warcraft (yes, I play, can't help it - it's addicting and distracts me from my RL job) and try not to cringe constantly at what I see. I work retail and have to spend considerably more time in the last few years focusing my energies on NOT "frakking out" at people who come into the store. I should NOT HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO SPEAK 'THINGAMABOB" to do my job!!!

The fact of the matter is, I saw so many horror stories from my own teachers growing up, and watched so many people who should NOT have passed go onto the next grade, that I because somewhat depressed by the entire experience. If I could find myself a job (not in retail) that would pay better than the one I have now, I could probably get it purely from being able to pass a grammar/spelling test.

...or if anyone locally was hiring for anything I qualified for at a decent salary, I could find another job. Razz

- Pflarrian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: