Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space ... the final frontier ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hortmage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racky raccoon wrote:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE sorry Im VERY excited about this film lets hope its going to be better than Nemesis or the last X Files.

Racky... you need to calm down!!! Relax!!! BREATHE, darn it!!!

Here, take one of these....

racky raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats bigger than my head lol.

I love it, i wonder if they come on prescription.

lol 250.000 mg thats one powerful pill

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
JediFur

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racky raccoon wrote:

And it's a suppository. Razz

Did you Know?
Teric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Syrius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediFur wrote:
racky raccoon wrote:

And it's a suppository. Razz

And how would you happen to know that? Think

Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its to big to fit anywhere else?

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaanyway... to get us back on topic... I was watching the TV spot trailer and it showed one of the ships Dry docked so to speak on the ground!
Is it just me or wouldent they be building it in... Ohh I don't know... Space? Like they normaly do? Then Agine all the times I seen them being built they were further along than that. Flop or not I plan to see this if only for my couriosity of this

Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Something to think about is that if they built it in space, each worker would have to be in a suit. Pressurized suits would not be easy to work in and any type of mishap could be deadly. On the ground a cut will heal, in space you cut your suit and you die. In the later Treks they had fully enclosed docks but I'm not sure even they were fully pressurized all the time. Could be it was far easier to do it down here and then lift the sealable hull to orbit and then finish the rest.

Maybe but look at that thing. It isn't made to fly in the atmosphere of a planet. The only reason Roddenberry came up with the transporter stuff was because at some point he realized that he had designed a spaceship that couldn't possibly land anywhere. And from what could be seen in the trailers they are building the whole thing, not just a part of it.

In the end it is easier to build the whole spaceship outside the restrictions of gravity and atmosphere and thus avoid a whole set of other problems.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:
Something to think about is that if they built it in space, each worker would have to be in a suit. Pressurized suits would not be easy to work in and any type of mishap could be deadly. On the ground a cut will heal, in space you cut your suit and you die. In the later Treks they had fully enclosed docks but I'm not sure even they were fully pressurized all the time. Could be it was far easier to do it down here and then lift the sealable hull to orbit and then finish the rest.

Maybe but look at that thing. It isn't made to fly in the atmosphere of a planet. The only reason Roddenberry came up with the transporter stuff was because at some point he realized that he had designed a spaceship that couldn't possibly land anywhere. And from what could be seen in the trailers they are building the whole thing, not just a part of it.

In the end it is easier to build the whole spaceship outside the restrictions of gravity and atmosphere and thus avoid a whole set of other problems.

After rearing several of my Star Trek Technical anuals they do built some parts of the ship planet side as well in space and they do have space docks that are fullly in closed and can hold a ship as big as a Constitution class.As for it not being able too fly in an atmosphere yes they can the Enetrpries has done so ones, it just can't land, but they do havs ships that can land and take off just like the Intrepid class star ships (aka U.S.S. Voyager)...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Last edited by Tommy Fox Stone on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something seldom mentioned in any of the series or movies is something called the structural integrity field, a flied generated through out the ship that like re bar would shore up the structure against inertia.

@ Tommy: yes they can fly in atmosphere but were never meant to do so al the times I've seen it or read it in the book they were all trying to get back into space before the ship was torn apart. The USS Voyager was the only starship designed to fly within atmosphere and land that I know of.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be picky here but the first ship of the Constitution Class was the USS Constitution. Just like the Enterprise D was not the first Galaxy Class ship. That was the USS Galaxy.

And yes, all that stuff about the inertia dampers and integrity fields is where Star Trek's 'realism' falls apart quickly. I never said it made much sense before, but that's how they explain it and now it seems they bother even less.

To quote from an in-comic magazine from S.S.D.D.

"Control panels don't randomly explode, thanks to the invention of the fusebox, and your life-support systems usually fail long before engines and weapons do."

The actual text is a bit more expansive about space battles but think just of these two points and look back at... oh, about half the Star Trek episodes.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the enterprise was the first (read Final Fronteer) Captain April (the one in charge of the ship's design) wanted to call the ship USS Constitution but his first officer on the ships first mission and happened to be James Kirks father convinced him to name her Enterprise and the class was designated as Constitution class.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they did have then back then at the time just before the Constituton class we're built, then manual has pic showing 3 Constitution class starships in side a fullly inclosed space dock,..

The Klingon K-22 Bird of Prey and the D-32 Stronger Bird are designed too fly with in an atmosphere Styx as well as the Defiant, Karekh, Nova, Danube, Epsiln, Scorio, Solar class ships, if you like the link too see for your self I'll be happy too give it too you...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh... I feel this conversation steering into a very uncomfortable direction... and not the least of it is my fault. My apologies.

So, I will just voice my opinion that no matter how my the trekkies delude themselves with fancy words, Star Trek is no more realistic than Star Wars or most other sci-fi settings you care to mention.

And with that I shall bow out of the discussion. Again, my apologies.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not going too go there Tygon... Very Happy

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: