Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A writers question for grammer help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RunningCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: A writers question for grammer help Reply with quote

I have been having trouble with a section of my story that I am currently writing.

I have a sentience that is as following

Her idea is confirmed when load click, click sounds begins happening and grinding stone above her lets in the first bits of light.

The trouble with this sentience is the click, click part. I know something is wrong with it but for the life of me I am still having trouble. Could I get some help with this.

Your furry loving lap cat
RunningCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what exactly it's intended to say, but depending on what that is, I think it may be corrected as follows:

Quote:
Her idea is confirmed when loud 'click click' sounds begin happening and the grinding stone above her lets in the first bits of light.

Might also want to further rework it to a more active voice to represent the character's viewpoint, such as:

Quote:
Her idea is confirmed when she starts to hear loud 'click click' sounds, and she sees the first bits of light let in by the grinding stone above her.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Asalis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try replacing
Quote:
Her idea is confirmed when load click, click sounds begins happening and grinding stone above her lets in the first bits of light.
with
Quote:
Her idea is confirmed when sounds of clicking and grinding stone are heard overhead followed by little bits of light shining through.

It still gets the original idea across but it gives a much smoother read for the readers to follow. The way it reads as you state above it hangs the reader up and otherwise alters the flow of the story as the reader tries to figure out your original meaning.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
RunningCat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While both are good maybe if you have the whole paragraph it will help some more. I do however like both points of view. Here is the whole paragraph. Just a reminder that the story is only in a 2nd draft.

As Sara investigates the hole she just made she hears clicking sounds from from with in the hallow stone wall. She is unsure where exactly they are coming from do to the echo but it sounds to her like some one is turning a combination lock or at least something similar to that. Her idea is confirmed when load click, click sounds begins happening and grinding stone above her lets in the first bits of light.

Thanks again for all your help.
RunningCat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personaly i like mwalimu's first fix. to me that makes the most sence.
http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
RunningCat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you there. And it seams like it put everything more in context as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: