Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Republicans are at it again. (More false hype.)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Republicans are at it again. (More false hype.) Reply with quote

I'm not even gonna bother making a comment on this one. Just have a look at the link below. This is just disgraceful.

http://www.truthout.org/092508J

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV

Last edited by Asalis on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the name of the website indicates it's _such_ a fair and unbiased source of factual information. I'd as soon quote stories from "Bushisgod.com".

The editorial page there is _totally_ left-biased. That's a clue, Asalis.
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthout.org has been after the Republican party for years with good reason. While they may not report on things the Democrats do the report itself is most likely solid.
Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit wrote:
...and the name of the website indicates it's _such_ a fair and unbiased source of factual information. I'd as soon quote stories from "Bushisgod.com".

That's actually what I was getting at. Does the media even bother getting any facts anymore?

We, dig, giant robots!

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check you facts Asalis Truth Out isn't a media outlet it's a left of center political organization, they have never claimed to be members of the media. They sponsor attack adds against republicans the same way that some right wing groups attack democrats. If you want blatant media misinformation look at FOX News they are very far Right of center.
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asalis wrote:
Rabbit wrote:

That's actually what I was getting at. Does the media even bother getting any facts anymore?

Nope, they are too afraid too check on the facts, thery are too far left winged too tell the truth...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is solid, maybe it's not. Republicans, like Democrats, sometimes do Bad Things. But have you noticed that we Republicans don't plaster the Bad Things that Democrats do across furry forums quite so often? In fact, most of us consider such behavior to be rather impolite and inappropriate.

Upon reflection, my anger is not related to this specific post. It's got to do with the fact that I feel that it's counterproductive to introduce muckraking/aggressive politics to a nice place like Planet Furry. It's getting both more frequent, and the posts more noxious, as time passes. (This started long enough before the election that I don't consider it a major factor.) When someone makes a post like this, I effectively have two choices-- one is to bite my lip and do nothing, which means betraying my deepest political principles. The other is to fight back just as hard as I can, no holds barred. This means that if I can't refute the specific charge in question I have to go dig up a _counter_ charge, and post it. The result is the inevitable conversion of a fur-forum into a war-zone that no one wants anything to do with. (Besides, I don't want to fight a war with you guys. I _like_ you.)

I remember recently being part of an online staff meeting for a furcon where a participant attacked the Bush Administration repeatedly and in a very biased and unfair manner. I was forced to demand either a politics-free zone, or to fight back in a place totally inappropriate to such a discussion. Essentially, now I find myself in a similar situation here.

And I don't like it. Not one little bit.

<sigh>.

I guess it's time to go muck-hunting. Looks like I might be needing a big supply of the stuff...

Last edited by Rabbit on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that right wing groups have done the same thing for just as long. For people who claim that the Republicans spend less money on government they seem to be misleading themselves since historically the republicans have always been much bigger spenders as Regan and both Bush's have proven.
Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I admit that I screwed up but can we please keep it a bit more civil than this, please? I don't want this to turn into a flame war and have to request an admin lock it, OR maybe they could just remove it all together anyway and just avoid the flames anyway. I'm sorry for causing any trouble.

We, dig, giant robots!

I hate the DMV
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make me put on my moderator cap. I hate that cap. It's 3 sizes too small and makes me do bad things to peoples accounts.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the one with the big Mickey mouse ears on it?... Very Happy

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so going to get into trouble for this.

http://www.comics.com/comics/hedge/archive/hedge-20080926.html

alaskawolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd Volsung wrote:
I'm so going to get into trouble for this.

http://www.comics.com/comics/hedge/archive/hedge-20080926.html

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/clo/854093632.html

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably more or less the last person anyone expects to hear this from on this forum...considering my past with threads like this...but may I suggest we keep politics away from the forum?

Apart from lending people money, nothing is as effective a way of starting arguments, even between good, close friends, as discussing political beliefs. We don't actually know each other outside this forum (for the most part) and while many of us have some rather imaginative thumbnail images attached to our accounts, we are, in fact, faceless here.

It makes it very easy to slam each other, and because this is a purely, one hundred percent text based medium, it is impossible to distinguish tone of voice and facial expressions. What may be said in jest may be completely misconstrued by someone else. And what has been said in seriousness may be taken too lightly by others. It can't be helped and I myself am guilty of having blundered in this regard on a -number- of occasions.

Can't we all agree to please keep our political partisanship...whatever our respective 'isms may be...off Planetfurry? It's a much nicer place when we stick to commenting on each other's weird ideas and explosive foodstuffs. Seriously...

Please?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asalis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said as always Filly. When I posted that I will admit flat out that I really wasn't thinking, at all in-fact. Why don't we go ahead and close this anyway so as to avoid any further arguments going out. I don't want to make this mess any bigger than I already have, please?

We, dig, giant robots!

I hate the DMV
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: