Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well this is plain out redoncuous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arctic_Mutt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Well this is plain out redoncuous Reply with quote

So Saudi Arabia has outlawed buying or selling or walking cats and dogs in public

I mean, that's just cruel and retarded Shocked

Gah I'm glad I live in a democracy

Gah, I've joined the bandwagon and got myself LiveJournal: http://arctic-mutt.livejournal.com/
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Well this is plain out redoncuous Reply with quote

Arctic_Mutt wrote:
So Saudi Arabia has outlawed buying or selling or walking cats and dogs in public

I mean, that's just cruel and retarded Shocked

Gah I'm glad I live in a democracy

You forgot the reason why they did it:

Saudi religious police ban pet cats and dogs

Jul 30 09:45 AM US/Eastern

Saudi Arabia's religious police have announced a ban on selling cats and dogs as pets, or walking them in public in the Saudi capital, because of men using them as a means of making passes at women, an official said on Wednesday.

Othman al-Othman, head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice in Riyadh, known as the Muttawa, told the Saudi edition of al-Hayat daily that the commission has started enforcing an old religious edict.

He said the commission was implementing a decision taken a month ago by the acting governor of the capital, Prince Sattam bin Abdul Aziz, adding that it follows an old edict issued by the supreme council of Saudi scholars.

The reason behind reinforcing the edict now was a rising fashion among some men using pets in public "to make passes on women and disturb families," he said, without giving more details.

Othman said that the commission has instructed its offices in the capital to tell pet shops "to stop selling cats and dogs".

The 5,000-strong religious police oversees the adherence to Wahabism -- a strict version of Sunni Islam, which also forces women to cover from head to toe when in public, and bans them from driving.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one day they'll decide that sex itself is evil and the whole problem will just go away in a few generations Rolling Eyes

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Styx. I mean what is wrong with a culture where you can't make a pass at a woman. Hell I still flirt and I'm married, and as far as that goes my wife has made more than a few passes at other women since we've been together.

Then there is the stupidity of the ban itself. As the article said there are many stories in which Muhammad told people to treat their cats well, for such a strongly Islamic country this seems to fly in the face of tradition. If you can't own a cat you can't follow Muhammad's advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: