Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Therories on time. (thoughts and opinions welcome)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asalis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Therories on time. (thoughts and opinions welcome) Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on stories, movies, Tv shows (like doctor who), and cartoons. that deal with time travel. they all seem interesting in retrospective but what really got me thinking was a recent temporal mechanics theory I had heard recently. Its something that I can only describe as Fluidic time.

Heres how it works:

Imagine if you will a bowl full of water, or any kind of body of water you like. Imagine this body of water represents time in all its infinite vastness. Now imagine something like a pebble. This pebble represents a choice being made. It can range from something as simple as deciding what to wear for the day to a fireman inside of a burning building deciding on which person to save when he knows that he only has time to save one.

Now imagine this "choice" being dropped into the body of water that is time. The result is a bunch of ripples that move outward from center of where its dropped. These ripples represent the effects of your choice, and each part of the ripple represents something different.

The portions moving away from you stand for every possible outcome of the choice that has been made. The portions moving towards you represent every possible event that leads up to this choice. (Like for example your in college trying to decide how you should pay off the school loans you've accumulated.) Now heres where things get a bit complicated. The ripples coming towards you may not always represent events going on in this reality but this I can explain better by explain the last portion of the ripples.

The portions of the ripples that are moving to either side, right or left, represent other possible realities that are going on right now. These other realities are attracted close to and become intertwined (not merged) for a time because of the ripples. Any dimension similar is drawn in close to this reality. Some after the choice has been made separate never to come in contact with this point in reality again. others may stay intertwined with this dimension to separate some time later. Other still may separate from this dimension only to be rejoined with this point later on.

Now here's where things get really complicated. This theory on time represents not just one but several other theories rolled up into one not exactly simple explanation. This theory does actually have an answer to the age old question of what if I went back in time to change something and then came back? The answer is nothing.

Say you wanted to go back in time and change a major event in history like killing the guy who shot Abraham Lincoln before the president got shot. When you return to the exact point in the space time continuum the event you changed will have never happened. The reason is because for the exact point you left history has already been determined. choices have already been made in the past that have made this current reality. However by going back and killing the guy before he could kill Lincoln you have in effect created a new time line based upon the results of that action.

Now everything that I just said is only the basics behind liquid time. Theres much more that goes with it. The ripples themselves don't just represent causes and outcomes. These ripples as I mentioned earlier also have the added effect of pulling other similar dimensions related to that choice closer together. these dimensions could all be possible pasts, presents, or even futures all of which are in some ways related to the choice being made right now. More in relation to this particular topic; imagine now the edges of these ripples finally fading off after traveling so far from the epicenter. There is still infinitely more amounts of this body of water that the ripple has not touched. Those beyond this ripples touch represent other realities not related to the point of the ripples origin. This brings to mind the question of what all other possible dimensions and for that matter forms of existence entirely, could possibly exist that we dont even know about? It's questions like these that bring about a possible conclusion that time its self may not be as linear as we may think. Though physically we are only able to experience one event along one path. What would happen if one person, either by natural or artificial means was suddenly able to transcend such barriers. Time for this person would no longer be so solid or singularly defined.

With all that now said I'd like to hear yalls opinion on this. What do you think? You think its plausible? if not the let me hear your ideas.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with your liquid time theory is that it represents time in a three dimensional format when in fact time is four dimensional. Every choice creates a new dimension, so there are billions of new dimensions being formed every minute on Earth. But here's the fun part these mini-dimensions form cable around main themes.

To take your example of jumping back on a time line to kill John Wilkes Booth before he killed Lincoln. Lincoln's death would have been a major event that split a major line of dimensions forming a new cable. Now say Mr. X goes back in time and kills Booth, well that major line doesn't actually split because in a myriad of other dimensions Wilkes still killed Lincoln, all Mr. X really did was change his own future. Now Mr. X gets back into his time machine and jumps back to the moment he left. Instead of going back to the dimension he left he jumps his own personal reality into a myriad of other dimensions in which Lincoln met his end in any number of ways. Mr. X has in effect split himself an infinite number of times within the infinite number of dimensions, and hasn't changed anything for anyone else.

Think of the universe as being made up of a giant shotgun which fires out multiple shot guns, which into turn do the same thing add nausiem. Now you start getting the idea.

Skazwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaahhh, my head hurts already.

So what you're getting at, is that there are infinite universes for whichever choices you take or don't take?
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo! You have just gotten the very principal of time itself.
Asalis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhalla_Wolf wrote:
Aaaahhh, my head hurts already.

So what you're getting at, is that there are infinite universes for whichever choices you take or don't take?
Thats part of it. yes.

I may have oversimplified my theory a bit. I know theres a lot more to it than just third dimension. as Sigurd pointed out. And as I mentioned earlier in the article theres a lot more to it than just what I am able to describe. In a nut shell the most basic definition of fluidic time is that time its self is constantly in motion, never the same and always changing. It's also always constantly growing and never shrinking. Again I'm over simplifying. I know time its self is four dimensions and can be a pretty hard concept to grasp. Even I have trouble contemplating on what it truly is. Though what I was trying to get at with the last paragraph is, if a man was suddenly able to travel back in time that would mean that he is now un-stuck from the temporal fold. meaning that he would not only see his own time but other versions of the time he exists in. So or order to traverse the time-line he would need to know the exact point and possible the exact frequency he left in order to return. I understand what your saying though Sigurd but heres what i'm saying. If someone is able to move freely back through time. He could also choose to look at an alternate version of history that this point in our time never even experienced. The same could be true for looking forward or seeing alternate versions of whats going in in the present for others as well as where he would be now if he had made other choices or if things were different in his life. But he couldn't just stop there. he could also choose to go and see what the earth would have been like if some other race had existed in place of man. In a way being able to transcend time is like a dimension of existence in and of its self. Yet if he were to return to the exact point he left any changes he made, past, presant, future, or otherwise would simply not matter because the world he left would still remain, he just simply left it to go to some other time and/or dimension like one would passing through a door into another room. And if he was able to do this naturally he could just as easily return to the exact point he left no worse for wear. I"m not disputing his action wouldn't cause a sort of paradox as you describe. Far from it actually.

As you said earlier if A man went back in time to go kill Booth, going with what you describe that would mean theres also now a thread where he doesn't decide to go Booth. So that in and of its self would create a split before the one that does kill Booth actually arrives to do so. This as a result creates a new path threaded to the choice X made before going back in time. So at that point there are now two dimensions with Booth, one where X exists ready to kill booth before he can kill Lincoln. and one where X decided to not kill booth and remain right where he is, or go somewhere else in the infinitely growing vastness of the space time continuum. This is also included in the theory of liquid time. I just oversimplified it.

Another thing I neglected to mention but should have is that the choices others make in not just other times but your own as well can also affect other peoples choice either directly or indirectly. So its like if ten people were faced with a choice and each one had different choices and problems or otherwise that resulted in this choice. The resulting ripples would in effect overlap with one another. in some ways merging with one another to create new possibilities and divergences that result with completely different divergent dimensions and time lines. All the while creating new versions of each person in the process. All of whom now exist in each and every possible path at the same time.

My original point is still this. If one person was given the chance to step outside of their own time line that they are following. They now have the chance to see how things could have been, what would have happened if things had been different, ect. I mean the list would go on and on. There would be no limit to what this person could learn and see. Time for them would no longer be simply defined as going forwards or backwards. It wouldn't even be thought of as going in any given direction eiter. The over simplistic explanation would be as I said earlier. Walking from one room through a door into another. Yet if they want to return, they would return to what for them would be the exact point they left. For that person anything that they may have done in the past would not exist when they return to the exact point they left. But I am also well aware that there would be a diverging temporal path where said person chose not to go as well, but thats not the point i'm getting at. Wink

Liquid time is more of a state of existence than it is a frame of temporal mechanics. Its the thing needed in order for you to even be capable of transcending time in the first place.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of Time as a cord, in which a universe can travel in one direction upon it. Now think of many cords intertwine into a rope, where events and reactions can travel from cord to cord. Also there are 2 specific cords tied together where only 1 directional travel is possible upon each cord but the two are in opposite directions.

That is simple as I can make it. Anymore and I will putting formulas in here that will prematurely age everyone's hair!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Howellfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't contribute much authoritative to this topic( Razz ), but my own 'gut' hunch has always been that somehow when all's said and done, physicists will be able to bring it all the way around to the thermodynamic decay of energy within a relativistic framework. This is of course about as 'amateur' as an opinion can get! Incidentally, why do physicists, who in point of fact know better, let themselves talk about time as if it itself moves or flows, which inplies changing states which implies time, therefore essentially saying time moves through time, i.e. itself, which -again, they know perfectly well - is silly, besides being fundamentally wrong. Laughing

Pertinent to the above:my understanding is that you CAN make relativity and quantum physics work together perfectly...IF you leave out the variable of time! Either by imagining subatomic particles as 'corks', if you will, sending out ripples in the sea of spacetime traveling at infinite speeds, or simply not including it in the equations in the first place. Is the universe trying to tell us something? Has any theorist tried to 'derive' time, i.e. get time to 'fall out' of the equations derived from such a 'timeless' starting point, rather that including it a'priori?(Or is that a nonsense question? Razz )

P.S. It strikes me that the above is very much what one might expect if speculations about the universe as 'simulation' or computer program were true, and every interaction of matter and energy were calculated 'between the moments'! Yikes! Shocked
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One alternative, go investigate RAH's ficton theory. It works every bit as well, and I like it better. (For those poor souls that don't know, RAH was Robert Anson Heinlein, one of the very best of the old Grand Masters of Sci-Fi.)

Besides, I'm just a ficton, too, in some other author's universe.

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: