Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 30....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Identity Crisis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:
Arden is able to take power from someone else. He has done this a few times and in fact I think when he got Lakash he had been slowly pulling power while distracting Lakash so he would not notice. What are the chances Arden could do the same to Lucifer? How much power could he draw into himself and store?

Actually, Arden hasn't really leached power from others. Nanuk created the link when Arden frist made the wish as did Lakash. When Arden and Sheila swapped bodies, Arden has to tap her own internal powers, nearly killing her. And, although Lucifer has given Arden a boost of energy (first time we met Luci), there's no connection for Arden to tap.

Rathsmon, on the other hand, can drain the very lifeforce from someone and convert that to energy for his reserves.

Cheers

But I thought that Lakash had created a direct link to ardens soul as well as the geas when he atacked Arden thinking it was Sheila when Arden was fighting the Drijen in Act 2 chapter 28 does he not tap that for power rather then using his own?

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
But I thought that Lakash had created a direct link to ardens soul as well as the geas when he atacked Arden thinking it was Sheila when Arden was fighting the Drijen in Act 2 chapter 28 does he not tap that for power rather then using his own?

Yes. That's one I failed to list. The original link to Lakash was physical, which is why Sheila was so strong in the 2nd act. Then, LATER in the act, Arden got another link made to Lakash during the fight while in Sheila's body.

The point is that Arden doesn't just "drain" people whenever he feels the need or desire. There has to be a link created for him to draw power from them. It's not like he could just walk up to, ohhh... Ruddygore and then tap him for power. There's no link between them to act as a conduit.

Also, remember that the links that Nanuk and Lakas created were specifically to channel power to Arden, though Lakash's link allowed Arden to access more than just his powerbase.

That clear it up?

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Styx wrote:

Yes. That's one I failed to list. The original link to Lakash was physical, which is why Sheila was so strong in the 2nd act. Then, LATER in the act, Arden got another link made to Lakash during the fight while in Sheila's body.

The point is that Arden doesn't just "drain" people whenever he feels the need or desire. There has to be a link created for him to draw power from them. It's not like he could just walk up to, ohhh... Ruddygore and then tap him for power. There's no link between them to act as a conduit.

Also, remember that the links that Nanuk and Lakas created were specifically to channel power to Arden, though Lakash's link allowed Arden to access more than just his powerbase.

That clear it up?

Mostly I guess, so that little trick Nanuk showed him in Act I to siphon energy to restore his own power would only work on energy that was already in use to cast a spell in other words he would not be able to draw energy from someone unless they were already casting, is that right?

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Mostly I guess, so that little trick Nanuk showed him in Act I to siphon energy to restore his own power would only work on energy that was already in use to cast a spell in other words he would not be able to draw energy from someone unless they were already casting, is that right?

Beg pardon? I believe that Nanuk taught him how to absorb ambient energy, not to drain someone. If you can send me a reference to where I said that, I'd appreciate it because that's not consistant with how the totem would work.

Cheers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Beg pardon? I believe that Nanuk taught him how to absorb ambient energy, not to drain someone. If you can send me a reference to where I said that, I'd appreciate it because that's not consistant with how the totem would work.

Cheers

Well maybe I misinterpreted, I can't remember the exact chapter but it was in Act 2 when Arden had been captured the second time when she would deliberately provoke Prince Rapes A Lot into beating her so the mages would have to come in and heal her and she would siphon off a portion of their energy while they were casting, as I said I might have misinterpreted what I read.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Well maybe I misinterpreted, I can't remember the exact chapter but it was in Act 2 when Arden had been captured the second time when she would deliberately provoke Prince Rapes A Lot into beating her so the mages would have to come in and heal her and she would siphon off a portion of their energy while they were casting, as I said I might have misinterpreted what I read.

Ahhh, yes. That was when she was in a room that was supposed to be cut off from all magic. However, the dragon gains power from change, and that's how she was getting a charge.

Indeitty Crisis: Act II/Chapter 38 wrote:
I realized that I could feel the magic of his spell. Not just the healing, mind you, but also the magic itself. I turned my sight inward and realized that my spirit was still part of the Great Dragon and Nanuk. Nanuk's power was healing and that's what Morgan was doing. The dragon took a small percentage of the power from change. This was healing magic and it was definitely changing me. I smiled as I concentrated on harvesting what I could of his power. It wasn't a lot, but I was slowly building up my reserves the same way I had with Lakash during my training.

Cheers

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:

Ahhh, yes. That was when she was in a room that was supposed to be cut off from all magic. However, the dragon gains power from change, and that's how she was getting a charge.

Indeitty Crisis: Act II/Chapter 38 wrote:
I realized that I could feel the magic of his spell. Not just the healing, mind you, but also the magic itself. I turned my sight inward and realized that my spirit was still part of the Great Dragon and Nanuk. Nanuk's power was healing and that's what Morgan was doing. The dragon took a small percentage of the power from change. This was healing magic and it was definitely changing me. I smiled as I concentrated on harvesting what I could of his power. It wasn't a lot, but I was slowly building up my reserves the same way I had with Lakash during my training.

Ah! I think i see now, she was able to gather energy from the chang her body was making from a injured state to a healed state. Is that it?

Cheers

Blue Eyed Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I managed to miss a lot of interesting conversation by not being around the past few days. A lot has been cleared up for me as well. With all of this talk I'm getting more and more hyped for the next chapter. Thanks for all the answers, Hikaru.
be crossed with a cat it would improve man,
but it would deteriorate the cat."
Wolf-Cat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though in chapter 39 of act 2

"The last round of healing had been a bonanza. If I could keep taunting these twits into beating the hell out of me, it would only be a matter of days before I could get out of here. I had actually been able to draw off healing magic before it affected me. The healers had given no indication that they had noticed the added drain on their resources. "

If Arden had been able to draw off the magic before it could affect him how could he be collecting a percentage from change if no change had occured?or is that he was able to do that because it was a healing magic?

Also as to why Arden keeps doubling over in pain perhaps it has something to do with his dragon physiology considering he'll ingest gold not too long after he has one of those fits of pain.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf-Cat wrote:
Though in chapter 39 of act 2

"The last round of healing had been a bonanza. If I could keep taunting these twits into beating the hell out of me, it would only be a matter of days before I could get out of here. I had actually been able to draw off healing magic before it affected me. The healers had given no indication that they had noticed the added drain on their resources. "

If Arden had been able to draw off the magic before it could affect him how could he be collecting a percentage from change if no change had occured?or is that he was able to do that because it was a healing magic?

The dragon draws energy from change. Since Arden was taking power from the healing effect of the spell, the effect was slightly lessend. She wasn't tapping their power directly, she was tapping the effect, lessening it.

Wolf-Cat wrote:
Also as to why Arden keeps doubling over in pain perhaps it has something to do with his dragon physiology considering he'll ingest gold not too long after he has one of those fits of pain.

Acutally, he's been ingesting gold pretty regularly ever since raiding the vault. You'll remember that Arden was eating gold while riding the buggy, but not having fits at that time, nor had he had one shortly before. In fact, the reader doesn't know that if these fits/cramps/whatever have been happening before he showed up as a human or not.

It's something that only time (and more chapters) will tell. Wink

Cheers

Blue Eyed Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but wonder if his problem is maintaining control over the dragon's spirit. I'd almost forgotten about that. It has to be quite a struggle to hold control over a dragon's spirit, especially that dragon. Not even Arden was sure he could take over the body.
be crossed with a cat it would improve man,
but it would deteriorate the cat."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Identity Crisis All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: