Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh *%#$@$*!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rava Purr-Fox
Princess Of PR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Meanwhile, the new tanker program that Northrop-Grumman has won so far (though the political battles are still to come) is definitely quite interested as I have the experience and special backgrounds (active Secret clearance, ITAR-environment experience) that they're looking for; that I've previously worked for that company with a good record doesn't hurt, either. Very Happy This position would have me relocating to the Melbourne, FL area.

I was wondering if that was going to effect you. I think you should go to Flordia my friend, less likely to get layed off again with a new contract like this one. They'll be in need of your experience and expertise, beside Flordia is someplace I wouldn't mind visiting and is closer to Josh's family living in the south.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll admit that Melbourne would be one of my primary choices, especially if the KC-45 evolves into a plethora of special mission aircraft like the aircraft it's replacing, the KC-135 did (I swear, you have to do that aircraft series family tree in at least three dimensions). Now, Bell Helicopter has some interesting things going on here in Ft. Worth, so there's some possibilities there; again, they're looking for the clearance and ITAR experience.

Seriously, I'll know a lot more after the job fair on 3/11 that LM is hosting for all the folk with layoff notices. There's supposed to be something like 80 companies there so there should be several good possibilities. One had a preliminary job fair downtown today and both their Houston and Huntsville, AL branches are interested in me. I think I've got a good shot at something since one of my cube mates, with 'bout 20 years less experience and no degree, has gotten three different contract engineering offers. We shall see how matters proceed, but I'm going in with an open mind. I'll give LM credit, they're being *very* supportive of job hunting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava Purr-Fox wrote:
Cateagle wrote:
Meanwhile, the new tanker program that Northrop-Grumman has won so far (though the political battles are still to come) is definitely quite interested as I have the experience and special backgrounds (active Secret clearance, ITAR-environment experience) that they're looking for; that I've previously worked for that company with a good record doesn't hurt, either. Very Happy This position would have me relocating to the Melbourne, FL area.

I was wondering if that was going to effect you. I think you should go to Flordia my friend, less likely to get layed off again with a new contract like this one. They'll be in need of your experience and expertise, beside Flordia is someplace I wouldn't mind visiting and is closer to Josh's family living in the south.

The fact that it's also near Orlando, which has Disneyworld and many other attractions, as well as quite close to KSC also adds to its attractiveness, no? It also has the advantage of being in an affordable part of Florida rather than farther south along the Atlantic Coast (Palm Beach, Broward (Ft. Lauderdale), and Dade (Miami) counties) where things get expensive.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rava Purr-Fox
Princess Of PR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acually his uncle lives in Orlandoa nd works for Disney so he beats you there Wink

Someone has managed to set a bug in my ear and I re-wrote portions of Rava's Story (chapters 1 thru 6) since Midnight. I found my original word files and had to start with the changes from scratch (Maxx to Patrick, Spanish to Gaelic ect)

Looking over it I plan to re-work the next few chapter majorly. Shouldn't effect your story much, it's more about Pat and Rava alone that I want to change. I'll send them thru for a double check. Unless you have changed you mind at all about Lyman..... Wink

Teric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Rava and Cateagle active again...?

This is like a dream come true!

Please keep us posted on your job status, Cateagle--sounds like you have some great prospects, but we're still worried about you.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava Purr-Fox wrote:
Someone has managed to set a bug in my ear and I re-wrote portions of Rava's Story (chapters 1 thru 6) since Midnight. I found my original word files and had to start with the changes from scratch (Maxx to Patrick, Spanish to Gaelic ect)

Looking over it I plan to re-work the next few chapter majorly. Shouldn't effect your story much, it's more about Pat and Rava alone that I want to change. I'll send them thru for a double check. Unless you have changed you mind at all about Lyman..... Wink

Cool!! I think I've got most of the original files that you sent me, should you need them. Nope, I've not changed my mind about Lyman, he's got other gals waiting for him. His situation with the first one has already been plotted with SK, and mentioned - I believe - in his story or a side story to it and the second gal, the one he ends up with, is quite set. *smile* She's quite a gal, this wolfess, and is both feisty and uninhibited. Wink

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job fair today was interesting and busy. I'm going to be a bit sorting everything out and following up on everything. There are some other branches of LM who are rather interested in me, I might end up at Houston-JSC or at NASA-Michoud in New Orleans (more likely Houston, but you never know). Beyond that, I made some connections with folk from companies I'd applied to online and not heard from with strong interest from one in Manassas, VA. I made several other good connections that I'l be exploring more fully in the next couple days. The meeting with the folks I used to work with in Waco was interesting 'cause one of the managers was the second-level I reported to for most of my time there and he remembered me with a good opinion, so things are looking up, there. Bell Helicopter got rather interested when I mentioned a Secret clearance and ITAR experience and they'll be revisting the online applications I've made. I did talk with 'bout the only company in CA I'd be willing to move back there for, they're in a lesser developed part of San Diego county (General Atomics - as in the Predator UAV). All in all, I consider it a successful effort and time well spent, now to do the necessary online follow-ups and see what eventuates.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 'bout a month so I thought I'd post my current job status.

- The job in Melbourne, FL is on hold at the moment until Boeing's protest of the tanker contract award is resolved. Since I need a job sooner than that resolution appears likely to happen, I wouldn't bet I'll end up there, despite how good a fit it'd be
- Present most active efforts could have me ending up in Little Rock, AR (not AK as I first put), West Lafayette, IN, or Savannah, GA; I've had very good first interviews with all three companies and things are proceeding from there - the Indiana and Georgia companies seem especially interested.
- Beyond these, I am applying at/have applied at several others but with no "bites" yet; I'd love to stay here in Fort Worth, but Bell Helicopter seesm to take forever to "extract digit" and look at online applications.[/u]

Last edited by Cateagle on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:

- Present most active efforts could have me ending up in Little Rock, AK, West Lafayette, IN, or Savannah, GA;

Alaska? Didn't know you like the cold that much. Wink Ok, ok, Arkansas (AR).

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, duly made.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Illia Iacta Est Reply with quote

Well, as Gaius Julius said as he crossed the Rubicon on his way back to Rome and full power, "The Die is Cast". All the various probabilities coallesced down to one job offer, a contract-to-direct position with Sikorsky in Stratford, CT. It's not where I'd prefer to live, but it's where the job takes me. The downside is that full relocation won't occurr 'til I'm a direct, so Lady Cateagle will be staying here in Texas while I'm in southwestern Connecticut. The positions in Little Rock and Savannah that looked likely never materialized, the one in Indiana fell through (I think they choked on matching, adjusted for CoL, my last salary at LM Aero), and - with the GAO decision that the Next-Generation Tanker (KC-45A) Contract has to be re-bid - the spot in Melbourne, FL is clearly not going to be filled anytime soon. So, despite some less than pleasant aspects, I shall start at Sikorsky on July 14. If there are folks here around that area, I'd love to meet up once I get my bearings. *smile* I've already got discussions going with one party.

Meanwhile, being off on my own may well give me a chance to coax my muse back (I'm tired of getting "Wish you were here" postcards from the south seas). First step will be retcon-ing some changes Chris Foxx has made in the background into already posted bits of my story and then carrying on from there.

Teric

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Cateagle! Even though it may not have been your first choice, it still sounds like a good opportunity. How long before 'contract' becomes 'direct'?
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely congratulations there, Cateagle.

I won't speak for him, Teric, but my experience is that most such contract-to-perm deals are six months. I've seen a couple that were a full year, but I hope that's not the case here. I've also been in a situation where it was a six month contract-to-perm, and then they kept extending the six months, due to 'no hire this month' proclamations from on high. Hated those.

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, three to six months sounds like what I've been told. These people have been around long enough (80+ years) that I reckon I can trust them. Still, I do hope it's less than six months so I don't get caught in the end -of-the-year hiring freeze. Actually, the main reason for this approach is to get me in now while they work the system to get a req. to bring me in direct. They're trying to meet an immediate need. *wry chuckle* It seems they need someone who's as comfortable with ink on mylar as with 3-D CAD solid models and we're getting rarer. Wink

Oh, Nicolai, on the subject of your SIG, another friend of mine had this to say: "You can't be political correct and intellectually honest!"

Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cateagle,

My sig is from an email a non-furry friend sent to me. No idea where she got it, but I love it. I like your friend's quote, too. Both of them are very true. Razz Razz

As to ink-to-mylar, I'll have to agree. We are getting rare. The office I work in is just now starting to convert to 3D. It's gonna take a while, they really don't comprehend just how rough it's going to be. (been there, done that) I'm just really happy to be a peon, in this case. Rolling Eyes

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cateagle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: