Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZZ Studios Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuesek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was James, I'd find a new job and just quit. No 2 week notice or anything.

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but here your previous employer is not allowed to indulge into details about you if they get any calls from potential employers. They can only confirm if you were employed, for how long, and if you were fired or if you quit (assuming you no longer work there).

If James found a new job and threatened to leave with no notice, his bosses may pull their heads out for oxygen and see their mistakes in time to take some course of action that would keep James around.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn get them two weeks, but I would give them the one finger salute...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give them the two weeks notice, then take whatever vacation time I'd have saved up...
Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking for a new job always say you can start in two weeks, even if they beg. You never want to say anything bad about a previous employer. You see, if you'll do it to someone else, you'll do it to your new boss. Badmouthing a previous boss makes potential bosses very nervous. Also, not giving a two-week notice makes potential bosses very nervous. So as far as your potential boss, while in the interview it's two weeks.

Also, during every interview there's always the option to say, "Do not contact my present employer." The reason you are looking for a job is "enhanced opportunity" or some such. If your present employer knew you were looking you might get fired, and no potential wants to screw up your present job unless they make an offer and you accept, by then they blow off contacting your (now) former employer.

If you give your two week notice and your present boss says, "You know, I believe you won't be a very dedicated employee during the next ten days. Why don't you just pack up today?" (happened to me once). Do it. Relax for the next two weeks. Think of it as a well deserved vacation. Do not call your new workplace and say, "Hey, I could show up on Monday if you want me to." It'll only put doubt in their mind about what really happened.

Even though everyone knows it isn't true, we all want to believe that work is gumdrops and butterflys, and that nothing bad happens. You don't want to give a new boss any reason to suspect that may not be true with you.

In retrospect, I should have offered to quit the instant I was fired. Yes, there's the issue of unemployment benefits, but an official "he quit" rather than "he was fired" is much more attractive to potential bosses. I could have thought of a plausible cover story about why I quit with no new job in sight.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
I'd give them the two weeks notice, then take whatever vacation time I'd have saved up...

You can do that, Anthony. Some places--if they think you'll be diligent, work hard, and train your replacement--will want you to actually work your last two weeks, then pay you for your saved vacation. So you end up getting double pay for a week or so (vacation pay from old job plus pay from new job).

It just depends on the situation.

"Take this job and shove it," makes for good lyrics, but in reality can come back to haunt you.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
anthony wrote:

You can do that, Anthony.

Actually, it's quite common here in Norway.
Probably because we don't give 2 weeks notice, but 3 months...
(That goes both ways.)
And with 4 weeks of vacation every year...
(Add in the 14 workdays I saved from an earlier year - can't transfer more to another year - and the week or so of 'flexible workhours' I always have on the clock... And it'll take care of two months. )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Asalis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me for diverting from topic a bit but what kind of hardware does Linux require because now I think I'm going to convert from MS. I know theres several versions to it but are there any that would work on a base personal built PC that originally was intended for Microsoft?

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run it on as small as a 386 with 16M memory if you're stingy with the build.

I'm currently running a 16K user ISP (web server, DNS, user authentication, e-mail, everything) off of a 2.0G non-hyper threading P4 box with 1G memory.

Go to http://www.knoppix.com and download a CD/DVD version and run it from the CD/DVD. It's fully functional and will give you a feel for the look, feel, and performance of Linux.

Cheers!

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Installing something other than a MS OS on existing PC hardware...

CPU and RAM are almost never the problem. The real issue is drivers for everything else. Hikaru, know of a hardware compatibility list (HCL) for your flavor of Linux?

Scotty

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all use the same kernel, so it's mostly a question of does the current kernel have drivers for your devices? ( http://www.kernel.org )

Debian's a monster install setup if you download the full DVDs, you'll have pretty much everything available for it. It's 3DVDs for i86 and 4DVD's for IA64 processors.

Most of the others give you a fairly complete install and then you can obtain packages from the net as you find them. Depian's much more of a plug & play level OS.

Cheers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been building my own systems for the last ten years, and Debian is my OS of choice. Cool

Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.org) is based on Debian, but it has slightly better hardware detection and setup. It is a little friendlier to the novice. It also updates/upgrades more regularly.

Knoppix and Mepis are other options. They are also based on Debian.

All three of these come as live-CD's. You put the CD in your drive and reboot, with boot-from-CD enabled in your BIOS. The system will boot from the CD and you can play with it to your heart's content. It will not install anything, it's running from RAM and the CD. It's a good way to try out Linux.

Personally, I've had problems with the live-CD's from all three, but I've been using an older Compaq laptop. And that's part of the problem. However, installing Debian was a snap and went flawlessly. The only thing it didn't do was configure my scanner correctly (I still haven't figured that out Sad ).

If you're just starting out with Linux, of any flavor, I'd suggest finding a mentor to assist. It makes life a lot easier. Check the web for a local LUG (Linux Users Group) if you don't know someone already.

For hardware compatability, check http://tldp.org/ They have a HOWTO for hardware, http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html , and that's the best general info source I know.

Good luck, and welcome to the free internet.

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
[Crash]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who seriously doesn't own some form of DVD-reading device these days? The fact that plans are already being made to eliminate optical media completely and there's still folks out there not moving beyond a VCR is ridiculous. The only exception would be people who don't own a VCR either and like to live the simple life.
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Crash] wrote:
Who seriously doesn't own some form of DVD-reading device these days? The fact that plans are already being made to eliminate optical media completely and there's still folks out there not moving beyond a VCR is ridiculous. The only exception would be people who don't own a VCR either and like to live the simple life.

Then there are freaks like me who buy a DVD and then rip it to their personal media server (Discussed Here) and digitally record whatever videos they want off of cable.

VCR? DVD Player. Hell, I even have a Laser Disk player, but they're not hooked up.

Cheers

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sux that unemployment is good for the fans.

Guess a guy needs to be independently wealthy, or marry a rich heiress.

Scotty

Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is gonna sound dumb, but I actually heard he'd died.

Is there another place where this story can be accessed? I'd really like to read it after all I've heard about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Turns out Google really is your friend in some cases.

Discord: kelvin#0465
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: