Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Story I've started on.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howellfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, glad to have that one done. Final addition to the update above was yesterday evening, so if you read it before that, take another look so ya don't miss! Smile

Incidentally, who in a cross-up midieval/frontier town would have the equipment and skills to cut and groom a certain large canine? Horse groomer, perhaps? Confused

Any ideas welcomed. Smile
Onic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any kind of stablemaster, I'd expect. They deal with all sorts of animals, including hunting hounds and such. You'll have to figure out how to dodge out of questions regarding the ownership of a *ahem* wolf, though.
Teric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter/skinner/leatherworker maybe. Someone that deals in pelts--would certainly have the tools, but probably not the expertise to groom/trim a live wolf. She may have to go to both the leatherworker and the stablemaster.
Howellfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....*rubbing chin*

What would've been the sanitary attitudes pre-eighteenth century regarding using tools for him also used on humans? Barber was my first thought, but a barber'd be reluctant to do that, wouldn't they?(Quite apart from what they'd be doing it on!)

I'm mostly making this up as I go along, so everything's up in the air. What I'm pondering is that trimming down his coat and tail would help him look a little more 'doggish'. Now, the bad part for Gray is that he'll turn out to have a slight phobia about sharp, pointy metal things moving around right up against his body. On the other hand, gee those brushes sure feel NIIIIIICE, especially with a certain someone right there with him to help him deal with it....

Can you tell just how much fun I'm having writing this? Smile Smile Cool

Any thoughts on the new stuff?

Edit next day: More I think about it, I think I might just go ahead with the barber idea. They had 'em in frontier towns if not medieval, but I'm picturing this world as more 'sophisticated medieval', I.E. like say 'medieval' China, for example. As for using their tools on an amimal...meh, it's fantasy and not necessarily much of a stretch. I wanna keep moving with this story(havin' too much fun to stall!), and I can always go back and change it later if I change my mind! Laughing
Howellfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So of course I have stalled;just for a bit though.

Went back over what I've written so far and decided I wanted another scene in there somewhere before they're at that town;just seemed like things moved a little too fast. Unfortunately this scene meant I need to get a clearer idea of exactly how the world this is taking place in is actually organized. Alas, you can only hand-wave so much! Laughing

So, just checking in to say I'm still working on it. Probably have something in the next couple days if not sooner. Smile
Onic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always one to create an extensive world before writing in it. At least until recently. It got to the point that I had so many ideas that I could only take the time to lay down the info I had.
Take your time with developing your world. It's got to hold up for the rest of the story.

Howellfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*LOL* Yeah...thing is, like I've said befor this story has REALLY grown in the telling! Laughing

This wasn't supposed to be long enough to need much of a world;just the little scene you glimpse at the very beginning of the story. But that required background, and that led to story to fill in between the two and this or that off-hand comment suggested something interesting and...well, here we are. Laughing So I've kind of had to build it as I want along. At least it's starting to come into focus.

Honestly, a lot of it isn't so much laziness as a lack of knowledge. I'm not an outdoorsman;couldn't tell in any real detail about trapping or what precisely the netting in the pack she was carrying on her back was fashioned out of(given it was made on the spot, some kind of plant fiber I'd imagine?). Hell, I'll be very happy if the geography and climate stay true-to-life! Ah well;I really get stuck on something there's always da Wiki! Razz Laughing

Anyway, put backtracking on the backburner, and just started(finally!)writing what comes next instead, so I really should have another little bit soon. Smile

So how's school going? Smile
Howellfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here we go. Again. Veeery small teaser to start off;More incoming. Smile

March 7: Aaaand updated, but STILL not done. *Sigh* still workin' on it, though.

March 26: Okay, call that a section, though I'm still gonna add to it. Hope you like it! Smile

"Sit."

Rebecca paused a moment as she bent to attach the leash. Damn;three days, and it still fealt...weird to put it on him.

Her innitial embarrassment(on whomever's behalf), she'd managed more easily than she'd anticipated;routine breeds acceptance.

That the 'weird' held flavors not entirely unpleasant....

'Hells', she thought, looking at Gray walking beside her 'it's how he wanted to do this. He certainly isn't bothered, so why's it keep gnawin' at you?'

Because she found she wanted it as well. Because it damned well wasn't normal for Wise, but many still wouldn't bat an eye;condenscending bastards-

-and she was enjoying it.

"Ah, here it is." She stopped in front of a building with a sign hanging over the door showing a simplified silhouette of scissors cutting through a line of hair.

The door opened and a customer exited before she could knock. She led Gray inside.

The owner -median build, brown eyes and hair just beginning to gray- looked up and immediately turned his gaze to the Wolf.

"Is that a wolf?" he asked nervously, slightly wide-eyed.

"No, no of course not." She chuckled. "I hear that often, though."

"Surely looks like a wolf....big;wolf."

"Yes, yes he does, doesn't he? Isn't though;not a wolf."

He raised his eyebrows;" Truly? You certain?"

"Listen, mister...you ever been out've the village? Ever seen a wolf?"

"Uh...no."

"It's not a wolf. Trust me." And who'd know better?

The barber gave one more slightly quizical look, then shrugged. "Oookay then. So; how do you want it?"

She took a breath. "Well sir...in truth I was hopin' for your help with another...customer."

"Who?" the barber asked, puzzled

Another breath;"My dog, sir."

Your...that?! he asked wide-eyed, pointing to her 'pet'.

"Yes;yes...look, you can spare at least one pair of scissors, right? I could take it with me, boil and return it if you fear fleas or-"

"No, no, I could do that myself, but...wouldn't a stablehand be better suited?" He said, still somewhat bemused.

She shrugged;"That's my next choice, but in this town likely not;fact most towns don't have a barber for that matter. Look, I could do it myself if need be but it's not like I'd know what I was doin I'll pay full price of course.

The barber looked at Gray and scoffed. "Oughtta charge double, more like." Then he grinned. "Nawh;I'll do keeper's purse."

Rebecca smiled. "You'll do it, then?" She looked at Gray. She hadn't told him beforehand."Maybe people won't think he looks so much like a wolf with a lil' haircut, 'ey?" She said, giving his head a quick rub.

He grinned. "Yes ma'am;if you'll assure he's not dangerous-"

"He isn't, I promise you."

He shook his head again. "Still, I'll be extra careful not to knick him." He chuckled. "You'll pardon me a moment while I run upstairs and fetch another pair of clippers?" he said, heading for the door.

Once the door closed, she bent down so she was face to face with Gray "You're really okay with this?" He was. She turned thoughtful;"Hmmm...maybe I'll ask him to lemme find out what that skin o' yours looks like under all that fur...joking;I'm joking!" she laughed and began stroking his head. "You're gonna look teriffic;jus' take a lil' off the neck and tail. Should help out little fraud at least a little, 'ey?

She turned at the sound of the door opening again. "So how you wanna do this? Him sittin' be all right?"

"Standing would probably be easier, I think;you said you wanted his tail trimmed...?"

"Yeah, you're right. Giddup, Gray. How about over here in the light?"

"Good idea."

The barber approached, carrying a pair of wooden clippers, the handles each forming half-moons around the fingers, with cutting edges of iron plate.

"Okay, like I said nothin' fancy. Actually, don't even worry about the back and sides;jus' take in the neckline and trim the tail - in fact take the whole top of the tail down to about a knuckle."

"Right." His eyes turned thoughtful. "Interesting cut.If you don't mind my asking, what you said earlier, that he might not look so wolfish with a bit of a cut;I'm not the first to think that, am I? Finally had enough of it huh?

She laughed. "It's all such damned foolishness anyway;wolves tame as readily as dogs if you raise 'em right."

"Truly?" He said, surprised. "Well, guess I'll have to take your word on it, ma'am." He gestured to a pair of plain wooden chairs against the wall. "Have a seat while you wait?"

Rebecca nodded and went to sit down.

She turned just in time to see Gray shrink away crouched man's hands as he made to start.

Huh?

The man hesistated a moment, then brought the clippers down again. Gray's head was turned, watching him from the corner of his eye. As soon as the clippers touched the fur of his neck he shrank down further and with a whine jumped back and stood, stiffly, staring at the clippers in his hand.

"What happened?"

"Nothing." The barber was standing again. "He's just jumpy."

"That isn't like him...." A thought struck her. Gray'd been staring at the clippers.

"Gray!" She made a sound and gestured for him to come to her. "See if I can settle 'im down a bit." she said, signaling for the barber to stay where he was. She knelt in front of the sitting Wolf.

"What's wrong?" she said quietly. "Is it the blades?" She didn't say clippers. It occured to her for a moment to wonder how well Gray actually understood her;where did Wise pick up humanspeak, anyway?

Gray nodded. "Sh!t." She should've considered that. She rose and walked back to the barber. "I borrow those for a moment?" she asked, holding out her hand.

"Sure." The barber answered, a questioning tone to his voice as he handed the clippers over. She wrapped her hand around the closed blades, her first and second fingers laning along the flat. She returned and knelt before Gray again, lay her left hand on his neck and began stroking, and brought the hand with the clippers up to genly lay them against his shoulder. She fealt him flinch and go stiff. Yup;that was the problem, all right.

"Sh!t. Might've figured long, pointy pieces of metal chomping against the skin might not be the most natural thing for a Wolf." She her right hand down again. "Damnit!" The Wolf glanced away. "'Ey." She lay the clippers down and cupped his chin with her right hand to bring them eye to eye. "Not your fault. We all have our fears." Like a certain friend's 'pet' around a certain someone shoulders;heh, if John thought she was hard to forget now.... "Th' blame's mine;I should've realized it might be a problem and found out before bringin' us here. You don't want to go through with this, we'll leave right now. Understand?" He nodded.

"However-" She crossed her arms on her knee and smiled. "-I do believe we can still do this. D'you know why?"

He shook his head.

She reached up and put her hand around the back of his head, pulling as she leaned in, nose to nose. "Because you're mine, and I believe in you, that you're strong enough to overcome this. And if you do this anyway, I'll be very proud of you. And I'll be here with you." She leaned forward to murmer in his ear. "And there's a reward later, my pet."

She took the end of the lead in her hand, sat back to lock eyes with him. "So wha'dya say pup;feel like giving it another try?"

For a moment, his gaze flickered in apparent thought. He gave a shake of his head, and with an emphatic chuff met her gaze and gave a sharp nod.

She rubbed his neck. "Good boy!" She said in a louder voice again, for the barber to hear. Her leg was starting to fall asleep;She picked up the clippers and rose, giving a tug on the lead. "Up." She motioned to the barber. "Over here by the chairs." She led him over and sat in one. "Sit." She returned the clippers to the barber. "Gonna have t' ask you to try an' do his tail on the floor after all. Sorry."

He shrugged. "Your animal."

"Look, I'm gonna keep workin' with 'im. I'll do my best to keep my hands out of the way, but don't stop unless I say, okay?"

"NO;look here!" Rebecca pushed Gray's muzzle back to her when he tensed and turned his head to look as the man drew near. "Look at me, pup." Locking and holding his gaze as she stroked his head. It occured to her that that was part of what seemed so odd about him from the beginning of their time together;when she was angry he'd yield and look away, but other times - unusual for wolfkind, Wise and cousin alike - he actively sought eye contact. Hmmm. "Look here. Focus on me." Continuing to stroke, soothing and encouring with her voice she fealt him begin to slowly relax under her hand."That's it dear. Not so bad now, is it? Good boy! I'm so proud of you, my brave one."

"Such a good, good pup."

Last edited by Howellfan on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Onic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray's in for a furcut. I can't wait to see his new look! Laughing
Howellfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaah...okay, that's it.

*Opens document* I am now going to finally FINISH the damn section. Rolling Eyes Razz

*Gets-the-hell ON with it already* *tap-tappity-tap* Smile
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*puts his claws onto Howell's keyboard and adds a few keystrokes of his own*

*whistles innocently*

Howellfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, still not finished, but posted a bunch above just to show I AM still working on it. Razz Smile
Howellfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, finally got a full section posted above. Not to say I don't plan on adding a little bit more - that little surprise Rebecca promised - but I'll call it a section, chapter, whatever! LOL Hope it was worth the wait. Smile
Howellfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments, anybody?

Just out of sheer narcissistic curiousity, who else out there's reading besides the couple who've posted on it above? Just curious.... *shrugs* Razz
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still here! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: