Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help me out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: help me out Reply with quote

I'm working on a sci-fi story, but I got a little stumped. I was wondering, can asteroids exist without an asteroid field? I was curious because I had an idea involving them.

asteroids basically are from my understanding, pieces of rock floating in space. So if that is the case that simply means that they are pieces of other astral bodies. So, would it be possible, for one of them to exist without other pieces of rock around them?

I thought about allot of examples in sci-fi vidio games, I've seen allot of lone asteroids in movies too. In most cases there are man made space stations built on some lone rock in space, but is that really so believable?

GriffinX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they can.

some of our biggest enemies out there in the vastness of space are rouge asteroids or -planet killers-. there are an infinite array of situations and possibilities that could cause a rouge to vencher in any direction, from the gravity well of a passing comet or planet to 'visitors' sending one at a planet to find out what would happen, to them getting bumped by another rouge and sent out in to the black expanse.

an asteroid belt is just where the suns gravity well holds them in a synchronized orbit. eventully the sun will lose its hold on them all for varies reasons and we will no longer have a belt, but that is an extreme far off event.

http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The density of the Belt is also highly over-rated in movies. According to the statistics I've seen, a ship could fly back and forth through the very densest regions of our asteroid belt for years and probably never hit anything.

Our Belt is believed to be a planet that never formed. The continually interacting gravity fields of the planets (mostly Jupiter) sometimes fling rocks out into wild orbits all by themselves.
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in theory it could be possible to have an asteroid in a stationary orbit all by itself?
GriffinX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said an infinite amount of possibility's, especially when talking about space

and if your talking about a sentient species then it can be more than likely
think about it, they most likely could easily kidnap an asteroid put in a synchronized orbit where ever they want with some thing like retro boosters, rockets the likes of that. hell we're advanced enough as it is right now do do that we just don't have the recourses to reach and return from our own belt.

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! that sounds perfect for what I had in mind, I'll have to use that one for later, if it's ok with you that is?
thanks for the idea, you don't mind me using it do you? i mean the captured asteroid is basically your idea and all.

GriffinX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all honesty, no i don't mind.

wile i am contemplating using it my self i don't think i could, should, or would stop any one from using it.

besides it's basically just an abstract idea for a location so i can't really control its usage.

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again I appreciate it. you were a huge help.
Syrius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonWolf_keny wrote:
so in theory it could be possible to have an asteroid in a stationary orbit all by itself?

The two moons of Mars are thought to be captured asteroids.

Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't an planet basically a really big asteroid?
I'm scientifically adept in certain areas but, this is just another reason to learn more, and my curiosity is piqued.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
GriffinX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first syrius is right the moons of mars are actually asteroids captured by the planets gravity

second no planets are not classified or are any where nere asteroids for a couple reasons first and for most planets are spherical where asteroids are asymmetrical and unbalanced. second asteroids do not fallow any set path even the moons of mars Thomos and Demos don't move in an exact planetary orbit like our moon dose. third in this case size really dose matter in our system of 11 planets the smallest of course is mercury and if i remember right to be classified as a planet it has to be at least 2/3 the size of mercury. our moon is close at just under half and Io, jupiter's largest moon is almost close enough but because of the constant volcanic activity it's not symmetrical and thus dose not qualify.

and on the topic of moons the moons of mars are still in most ways considered to be asteroids where our moon is classified as a planetary satellite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: