Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Writing Sample: Work in Progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Short Writing Sample: Work in Progress Reply with quote

The opening of scene 4:
Quote:
The pickup truck lurched sideways and Cheri, who was riding in the topper covered back, was thrown off balance. She banged her right knee against the steel bed and gave a loud squeak of pain, causing Hope to swivel around to watch her from the passenger’s seat. Maybe I should lick my knee to reinforce the dumb animal illusion. A little blood trickled from the fresh scrape; the truck swayed. Maybe not. Her long incisors could slice her knee open if Dirk hit a bump at the wrong moment. Or worse, she could snap off a tooth. The truck gave another lurch and Cheri braced herself to keep from slamming into the wheel well.

Hope turned to face forward. “Dammit, Dirk! Watch the road.”

“It’s a driveway, not a road.”

“If we move out here am I gonna have to drive this to go grocery shopping?”

“I’ll have Kevin or Thomas fill in the holes,” Dirk said.

Cheri turned and gripped the bottom edge of the little open window between the back and the cab, so she could see where they were going. They had turned off the rough gravel road and up an even rougher private driveway. It was clear to her the drive didn’t get much use. Tall bushes hung over the lane and scraped the sides of the truck, making it impossible to see anything of the farmhouse except the roof. The driveway twisted to the left and the rest of the farmhouse came into view. A new black and sliver Chevy pickup sat out front. Dirk’s cousin was waiting for them.

Dirk parked next to the Chevy and turned to Hope. “Wait here till I signal you, Baby.” He slid out the driver’s door and Hope slid behind the steering wheel. She caressed the keys dangling from the ignition.

The front door of the farmhouse banged open and a man with a beer gut stepped out. “Cous!” he shouted. “I hadn’t seen you in a coon’s age. Hell, two coon’s ages!” When Dirk bounded up the stairs the man slapped him on the back.

Cheri groaned inwardly. She was naked and did not feel like meeting anyone, or pretending that being nude was the most natural thing in the world. Special Agent Jimenez had suggested she at least wear something while she waited in the steam tunnel for the FLA to find her. “Lab animals don’t wear clothing,” she had told him. She never dreamed that Dirk would insist she remain so. He’d said something stupid about her being a wild animal.

First of all, she thought, the white lab rat is not wild. Second, I am not an animal. But she was stuck wearing only her fur, which was much too short to offer any real modesty. The two women and even Thomas mentioned several times that Dirk should allow her to wear clothing, but he refused.

Hope hopped out of the cab and slammed the door. She started around toward the back of the truck.

Cheri sat up then started licking her skinned knee, the way an animal might. The wound had started to scab over and the dirt and rust in her fur tasted funny.

Hope opened the tailgate. “Oh, you poor thing!” she said when she saw Cheri licking her knee. “I’ll tell Dirk you need something to lie on back here. Let me see.”

Cheri didn’t respond.

Hope climbed partway into the back of the truck and laid her hand on Cheri’s shin. “Squeaky, show me.”

She stopped licking and let the woman inspect her wound. It was a lot cleaner and didn’t look too bad. Her tongue felt funny and she was sure she had swallowed a few hairs. Pretending to be a dumb animal was exhausting. She didn’t know how real animals put up with it.

Hope backed out, stood, then held out her hand. “Come on, Squeaky. Time to go meet someone.”

Undercover rat!

Comments welcome. I'm not quite pleased with this as it's still a bit rough. I have a very thick skin.

Scotty

Last edited by ScottyDM on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Teric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Looks like this could be a good hook for an intriguing, exciting story. It makes the reader wonder: Why does she have to act like a dumb animal? Who is she trying to deceive? What's so important that she has to go under-cover (or out of cover, as this case may be)?

Quote:
A little blood trickled from the fresh scrape; the truck swayed.

Why the semicolon there? If I understand correctly, a semicolon essentially joins two smaller sentences in a related idea. It seems to me that the two ideas aren't really related. Perhaps you could use 'as' instead of a semicolon?

Quote:
“If we move out here am I gonna have to dive this to go grocery shopping?”

typo?

Quote:
It was clear to her the dive didn’t get much use.

When you say 'dive' here, what are you referring to? The house? Or did you really mean 'driveway'?

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrg! Big time typos. "Dive" is supposed to be "drive" in both cases. Must be a mental block. Thanks. {fixes original} {fixes post here on PF so as not to distract others}

The semicolon spliced sentences: Originally they were separate sentences, but it seemed to choppy to me. Then I "and" spliced them. Then I changed my mind and semicolon spliced them. The only relation between the sentences is that these things are happening that are not controlled by Cheri, which isn't much of a connection. An "as" splice will work, but it implies the trickling and the swaying happen at the same time. Technically true, but Cheri notices the trickle then forgets the trickle when the truck sways. I'll do something with this, I promise. I'm just not sure what.

Thanks a million, Teric.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the beginning of the first scene, which should give a bit more of a clue as to the nature of the deception and who is being deceived.
Quote:
Dirk Angelo paused in his flight from the chaos behind him, leaning against the wall of the steam tunnel to catch his breath. The raid had been successful. He and Thomas had managed to release hundreds of innocent lab animals and destroy a lot of equipment, including several computer systems and some records. He imagined that Kevin and Brad had similar success, until the guards interrupted them.

There had been a lot of confusion on this raid. Dirk, and his men had split into two groups, and the layout of the building contributed to the confusion. Built as an insane asylum in the 1930s then abandoned in the 1980s, after a half-century of decay the NIH took over and reopened part of the campus just last year. Dirk and Thomas had been opening cages and smashing equipment when he heard shouting and smelled smoke. Kevin started shooting right after that, the pop pop pause, then pop pop of his shooting style was distinctive. Lab animals ran free in the hallways by the time Dirk managed to grab his souvenirs and follow Thomas back to the steam tunnels.

In the tunnel, faint foot falls sounded behind him and Dirk stiffened, listening. It wasn’t Kevin or Brad. Dirk’s men came prepared for these abandoned tunnels and wore rubber boots. Whoever his pursuers were, they wore hard-soled shoes—probably leather shoes, the product of more animal murders. He tightened his grip on the handle atop the cage and started down the tunnel, his flashlight probing the darkness ahead. In the cage were some of the more pathetic lab animals, those that seemed to have suffered the most. It was his way—collect a few souvenirs from every raid. They never lived long in his care; they were too far gone when he got them.

He turned a corner and the tunnel sloped gently down, the air becoming noticeably thicker. Several inches of water flooded the tunnel and a mist seemed to sway and move in the beam of his light. Strange growths hung, glistening, from the ceiling and the air was heavy with a cloying scent. He held his breath and hurried through this section. It was creepy and he doubted whoever it was following him, would follow him here, or wet their fancy shoes in the dark liquid on the floor.

The water grew shallower as the floor rose and the tunnel curved. He was nearing their exit. He jogged down the tunnel, turned at a junction then stopped when his eye caught the movement of something white.

“Holy shit!” It was one of the lab animals, but not one he’d seen, someone else must have released it. A lab rat, the biggest mother-frak*’ white rat he’d ever seen. She was cowering in a cul-de-sac, her pink nose pointed in his direction, sniffing. Although it was obvious she was a rat, she also had many human attributes. And Dirk could clearly see her ample feminine curves despite her being curled up in the corner. “Those sick bastards. Those sick, perverted mother-frak* bastards! Who could make such a vile perversion of nature? She should have been culled!”

Rat girl drew away from him, jamming herself more tightly into the corner her red eyes darting back and forth.

“I’m sorry,” he said in a soft voice. “Ol’ Dirk’s not going to hurt you.” He set the cage down and leaned his flashlight up against it. Crouching on the floor of the steam tunnel, he peeled off his latex glove and reached his hand toward her, palm up. “No one’s ever gonna hurt you again.”

Her eyes stopped darting and she sniffed in his direction.

He inched closer and stretched out further. “Come on, sweetie, it’s okay,” he said in his softest voice. “I can take you away from this. No one will ever hurt you again. I promise.”

She leaned toward him, her nose and whiskers twitching. Then she held out her paw, which was long and narrow with thin fingers, as much a hand as a paw.

There was less than two feet between them. Dirk moved closer. “Hey, sweetie, we need to go soon. Ol’ Dirk’s gonna get us outta here.” He willed himself to relax, despite the growing excitement he felt. “Come on, sweetie. It’s okay.”

Rat girl’s nose twitched furiously and she leaned closer, her hand-paw reaching… then she touched his fingertips with hers.

A thrill flashed through Dirk. “Come on, sweetie. We can go home and get something good to eat.” He couldn’t believe his luck. She would be his best souvenir ever!

Scotty

Last edited by ScottyDM on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Virmir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, very nice! I love undercover animals. Smile Excellent visuals!

Quote:
“Come on, sweetie, it’s okay,” he said in is softest voice.

* is -> his

Quote:
Rat girl’s nose twitched furiously and she leaned closer, her hand-paw reaching… then she touched his fingertips with hers.

Using "Rat girl" as a name seems a little awkward to me. Wouldn't it need to be capitalized if it's used like a name? I would just use "The rat girl" to be safe. 'Course you're the more experienced one here. Smile

Looking forward to reading the full version!

Virmir's Stories
Metamor Keep
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Vrimir. Thanks!

Yep, that first one is a typo. Confused

Good point about the use of "rat girl". If one uses a word or phrase as a name (e.g. "Mama", "Lover", etc.) then it should be capitalized. Here, it's the narrator using the phrase. I'll think about this, but probably "the rat girl" would be just fine. Dirk calls her "sweetie" a few times and a few paragraphs later her calls her "ratty". Something I'm not sure about is when does the use of a word or phrase slip from casual use into being used like a name?

The 3rd scene is at the breakfast table in the new FLA safe house when Dirk is revealing the rat girl to the rest of the cell members (Thomas and Hope, his girlfriend, already knew). At one point someone says she needs a name as they can't keep calling her Rat Girl. So that particular phase did make it into namehood. I'll need to stay in control of her many names and nicknames. It's probably confusing enough that in the even numbered scenes where it's her POV she is Dr. Cheri Avant (her real name) and the odd numbered scenes where it's Dirk's POV she is Squeaky (the name the villains give her).

This is an old story I started writing over two years ago. I was inspired by two things: First, my critique group pointed out that my stories lacked conflict. I wasn't sure at the time how to fix the flawed story so I set it aside and started looking for a new project. Second, {NSFW} this picture {NSFW} by Doug Winger intrigued me. It wasn't just the character, but all the little details in the picture: what is the sign about; why a cell, and is she coming or going; how does California cheese figure into this; why is she so tall, and how tall is she; why is she naked except for her glasses; who braided her hair; who is Zort; and finally, who is she? (IMO her mamms are grotesquely out of proportion, but is her misshapen physique connected to her height?)

Anyway, I've answered every single question, and I've created a story with suspense and action. Unfortunately, that original story also had a flawed structure and I didn't know how to fix it at the time. Now I do, so I've started rewriting. Scene 4 (above) was less than a day old when I posted it. Scene 1 (above) is over two years old.

I have a completed short story involving Dr. Cheri Avant that I entered in the second WritingStone AnthroStory contest: Beach Tour. It takes place about a year after this first story.

Thanks again, Virmir. I appreciate the effort. You've been a help.

Scotty

Last edited by ScottyDM on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Virmir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! Scotty, please use NSFW warnings when linking to images like that!

Sounds cool altogether! I'll have to check that story out next chance I get.

Virmir's Stories
Metamor Keep
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah!!!!

I so totally did not think of that. I guessed that "Doug Winger" was a giant clue as 95% of his stuff is not work safe... and maybe 75% is not anything safe. Zort is mild by his standards.

Fixed the post.

Scotty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: