Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Target for Purists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: A Target for Purists Reply with quote

If recent results of genetic studies in our world read across, maine coon cats like Lee Evans and Victoria Maine may well be targeted by Purists despite being a distinct breed.

A comparison of genetic sequences in our world show that Maine Coon cats are strongly related to Norwegian Forest cats and are a cross, that now breeds true, between them and a now-extinct feline breed or species. Apparently a number of Norwegian Forest cats got off the boat in Vinland and refused to get back in. Laughing

Now, if this carries over to the furry universe, Maine Coon cats would be a hybrid breed descended from when Viking Norwegian Forest cats and native cats mixed, rather thoroughly at that, and, as such, could definitely be targeted by Purists. They might be especially targeted because they make a good case that mixing is good, not bad.

Thoughtfully,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that respect, what is the big difference between them and dogs. As far as the different breeds of dogs go?
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
In that respect, what is the big difference between them and dogs. As far as the different breeds of dogs go?

Probably not that much, just comparatively more recent; dating from around 1000 AD or so when Lief and company landed on Vinland.

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... very interesting...

I guess the question is how strong the Maine Coon Cat population is. Hybrids are a minority were as Maine Coon Cats are now an own race. If there are too much of them Purist can't attack them because it would mean to fight a distinct part of the population. Only really extreme Purists would do such a genocide.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

I guess the question is how strong the Maine Coon Cat population is. Hybrids are a minority were as Maine Coon Cats are now an own race. If there are too much of them Purist can't attack them because it would mean to fight a distinct part of the population. Only really extreme Purists would do such a genocide.

If the population there is anything like how the breed has spread in our world, the Purists would have their work cut out for them; it's not impossible, but Maine Coons would likely not be their first targets. 'Sides, given the general level of intelligence and ability the breed displays in our world (we've a part Maine coon cat at home - my aching head at times), attacking them would very likely be a "bad idea" (TM).

Cateagle

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they start targeting a breed that may or may not be called it's own species, then lots of furs of similar breeds (dogs) might also feel threatened...
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
If they start targeting a breed that may or may not be called it's own species, then lots of furs of similar breeds (dogs) might also feel threatened...

True, in general. It would require considerably sophisticated propganda to target such a breed without alarming others, though this has been done in the past. Still, that leaves the potential for isolated instances when an individual feels capable of getting away with it. I suspect Lee may be aware of this and that's yet another reason he fights against the Purists.

Cateagle

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Tygon wrote:

If the population there is anything like how the breed has spread in our world, the Purists would have their work cut out for them; it's not impossible, but Maine Coons would likely not be their first targets. 'Sides, given the general level of intelligence and ability the breed displays in our world (we've a part Maine coon cat at home - my aching head at times), attacking them would very likely be a "bad idea" (TM).

Cateagle

I know of a Maine Coon that used to protect its family's dog. One day, when a local German Shepard went after it, the Shepard made the mistake of not leaving when the Maine Coon stepped in the way.

They had to surgically re-affix the part of the face that the Maine Coon literally tore free.

Don't mess with the Maine Coon.

Kinsfire

Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Grin> For some reason, German Sheppards don't seem to fare well against cats in general... I've actually been witness on two occasions to this sort of matchup, and heard personal accounts of others from those I trust; in no case does the canine actually come out of it with the best side of the encounter.

Now, to be fair, the two encounters I saw (different dogs, and, as will be obvious, different cats) were... well, let's just say the dogs were outmatched from the start. In one case, the Sheppard spotted the Siamese at the end of a long hall and did a galloping charge up said hall, whereupon Van (the Siamese) glared, arched, and hissed. Brakes were applied, but loose rug on tile affords little purchase - despite heroic effort, Sam kept closing fast. Van swatted him once, then chased the interloper from his home...

The other case was even more of a mismatch. Neighborhood G.S. with a rep as a cat-killer ran across a friend's cat - misnamed "Nermal" for his looks, but probably outweighing Garfield... and seriously out-attituding him. Twenty-two pounds of bad attitude with built-in weaponry is just not going to run from a German Sheppard, no matter what kind of reputation the dog carries. The dog walked carefully, from then on...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cateagle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: