Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rules of English...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wondering, what is the passive voice rule? Is it optional? I'm curious because, my grammar check doesn’t actually correct the error it just constantly keeps trying to fix it in a continuous loop.
Macrorufus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not English and I'm from China am I allowed to get away with some bad english?
Virmir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I was always taught the second way (e.g. James') and that "s's" is never acceptable.

Oh and the Firefox spellchecker isn't quite up to par. Had to add several words to the dictionary myself, so I wouldn't depend on what it says!

Virmir's Stories
Metamor Keep
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Mike this is funny (and you and I both know why).

As I am a younger author, I will defer to the wiser experts in this matter. However, it does seem to me that the singular noun that ends in 's' should still use an apostrophe followed by an additional 's', even if the extra syllable is not pronounced.

I'm probably mistaken, here. But it also looks like there isn't a definitive answer on the subject.
Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught in such a circumstance to always add an es on the end if something ended in s. but thsi wasw back when i was a 5 year old army brat who had to liive in germany for 3 years because his father jsut so happened ot be stationed there. Shocked

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a) you add only the appostrophy if the word ends in "es" and add appostropy and s in all other occasions. and I've heard b) Authors know the rules of writting, it's their job to know what is right and wrong, authors also spend much of their first writings worrying about the rules so that by the time they've written a couple books and start getting famous they are sick of worrying about the far too numerous rules and will write whatever they want, however they want and we as the reader will accept it and enjoy it.... So... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Osfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting distinction is 'consistent' as opposed to 'correct'. English-speaking countries each have their own established norms: the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and the list, for some time, goes on. Even within countries there are different schools of thought.

Striving to be correct by figuring out, for each situation, what the optimum solution is, is tedious. Therefore, a piece of advice I'd like to lay before my esteemed fellow board-members is this: pick a source and stick with it.

Pick one (reputable!) book or source on rules of grammar, spelling, syntax and punctuation and rely on it for all your needs. Study it concisely, of course, and refresh yourself regularly. I'm a fan of Strunk & White, myself. The Elements of Style is a neat and diminutive little volume that's easily stuffed in a pocket for reading on the bus.

The upshot is that if you're criticized for a particular line in your text, you can allay those criticisms by citing the rule as stated by your source. If your source doesn't actually cover a particular rule (as is the case with the very short Strunk & White), well, you can still claim some measure of confidence by stating that your favored source was unclear, and you just made the best of it.

Anyone up for recommending some source books, with their pros and cons?

Toric

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an authoritative source, but I like the response Mike got involving pronunciation.

Writing text is merely a way to convey and record words... which should primarily be spoken. As such I view text not as a language unto itself, but as a visual form of symbols representing something you would speak out loud. Punctuation is intended as a visual guideline for the reader to understand how something should sound... and posessive-tense would follow along that as well. Thus, if you would say "Jame-zes" insteads of "James" when referring to something James owns, then "James's" would sound appropriate, whereas "James' " would be appropriate for the latter.

That all said, I also agree with the concepts of communication. If you speak, and your audience understands, you've succeeded. Doing it "right" should only be a concern if the right way will make you more successful in your efforts to communicate. If by writing something in the "wrong" way gets your point across to your satisfaction (hopefully with minimal confusion as a personal standard), then it was the right way to write it.
Osfer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there are many different sources, all that matters is that you're consistent! You can write James' or James's, depending on which source you follow (and very few Americans will fault you for following Strunk & White), but if you write "Chris' and James's car" you're not going to get any respect Smile

PS: 'you' is used in the abstract here and does not refer to any raccoon in particular! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: