Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help with this?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use as your email client? Outlook?
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK Sorry Mike!

/squirts a bottle of dish soap into his mouth and gargles it.

BLECH.

Ok ok I won't use that word any more.

I haven't used Eudora in so long, I don't know what its quirks are any more... sorry I won't be much help there. Sad

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem every time Pflarrian sends me an RTF file. However, I think it is a problem with Yahoo mail. When he sends it via his gmail account it arrives fine.
Teric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROUGH translation of the first few paragraphs, compliments of Babelfish:

Quote:
Xpeople returns OnLine. XP returns on line without din, stravolgimenti, without clamour, but with new and simple rules. We understand the uneasiness of many of you and we excuse some, but sincerely the situation had become indefensible is to managerial level is to moral and ethical level. They have come to lack the motivations base that they have pushed to us to face the called adventure xpeople. A period of meditation in order to reformulate the previous motivations was right in the respect of all and to find again some of new. We believe is impossible to find a formula or a general outline that is "valid for all". But, in practical, for all of us it is much easier much than it seems, to find the route in a rather rough but very navigable sea - if we have the right dose of curiosity, patience and fantasy and above all knowledge of the motivations that have carried to us to return in this place. We do not have to be scared, neither worried, of the turbulence and the change.

Teric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, the site is a forum for people to come & meet each other. (Singles? Dating? Meet & Greet? not sure...)
Nosnibor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that RTF problem:
Perhaps the difference is whether there is any text in the email along with the attachment. Without any text (even a single, empty line would do) an overly clever email client could speculate that the attachment was intended to be the text of the email (since RTF is essentially text) and change things accordingly.
Kaisyu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone help with this? Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Normally when I get an attachment in my email I get an icon at the bottom with the filename.

Lately though, increasing over the last year, if the file is an RTF file it's inserted into the body of the message instead and displays thus:

Quote:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0 {\fonttbl {\f0\fnil\fcharset0\fprq2\fttruetype Dragon;} {\f1\froman\fcharset0\fprq2\fttruetype Times New Roman;} {\f2\froman\fcharset0\fprq2\fttruetype Symbol;} {\f3\fswiss\fcharset0\fprq2\fttruetype Arial;} {\f4\fnil\fcharset0\fprq2\fttruetype Dingbats;} {\f5\fswiss\fcharset0\fprq2\fttruetype Calibri;} {\f6\fmodern\fcharset0\fprq1\fttruetype Courier New;}} {\colortbl \red0\green0\blue0; \red255\green255\blue255;} {\stylesheet {\s1\fi-431\li720\sbasedon31\snext31Contents 1;} {\s2\fi-431\li1440\sbasedon31\snext31Contents 2;} {\s3\fi-431\li2160\sbasedon31\snext31Contents 3;} {\s8\fi-431\li720\sbasedon31Lower Roman List;} {\s5\tx431\sbasedon27\snext31Numbered Heading 1;} {\s6\tx431\sbasedon28\snext31Numbered Heading 2;} {\s7\fi-431\li720Square List;} {\*\cs12\sbasedon31Endnote Text;} {\s9\f5\fs22\lang1033Normal Table;} {\s4\fi-431\li2880\sbasedon31\snext31Contents 4;} {\s10\fi-431\li720Diamond List;} {\s11\fi-431\li720Numbered List;} {\*\cs13\fs20\superEndnote Reference;} {\s14\fi-431\li720Triangle List;} {\*\cs15Default Paragraph Font;} {\s16\tx431\sbasedon29\snext31Numbered Heading 3;} {\s17\fi-431\li720Dashed List;} {\s18\fi-431\li720\sbasedon11Upper Roman List;} {\s19\sb440\sa60\f3\fs24\b\sbasedon31\snext31Heading 4;} {\s20\fi-431\li720Heart List;} {\s37\fi-431\li720Box List;} {\*\cs22\fs20Reference;} {\s23\fi-431\li720\sbasedon11Upper Case List;} {\s24\fi-431\li720Bullet List;} {\s25\fi-431\li720Hand List;} {\*\cs26\fs20\sbasedon31Footnote Text;} {\s27\sb440\sa60\f3\fs34\b\sbasedon31\snext31Heading 1;} {\s28\sb440\sa60\f3\fs28\b\sbasedon31\snext31Heading 2;} {\s21\qc\sb240\sa120\f3\fs32\b\sbasedon31\snext31Contents Header;} {\s30\fi-431\li720Tick List;}

This is just a very small part of the latest file. I have had a few others tell me they have had the same thing happen to them. One could not send to another but could to me and I could forward that same email and attached RTF to the other person normally. As I said this is happening more and more often as time goes by.

Anyone have any ideas why it's happening and a way to stop it?

I have found a work around for now. Copy all the file text from the email message body, be very careful not to get anything that does not belong to the file. Save in Note Pad or other text only program. That insures there will be no added garbage. Then find the file in your directory and change the TXT to RTF. The file can now be opened properly in your WP as a normal RTF if you had not gotten any extra stuff when you copied from the email. It is a hassle though.

LOOKS like its unsupported from what is happen .

Kaisyu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
That's the problem. My email will support attached RTF files.

Just not SOME of them. I have not been able to find what it is about those some yet. At first I thought is was those sent with Outlook but this was sent with Thunderbird. I thought it might have been created in Open Office but I have gotten other RTFs done in OO just fine.

why not zip or rar it then send it ?

Kaisyu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
That works but they have to know to do it before they send it.

I guess your email works different then mine .

MundaneLifeWorksFoMe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm guessing that they accidentally send links to said file instead of attaching the file itself, because the file is only on their computer and they link it to the message, the entire scripting for it gets copied into the message instead of the raw file being clipped. Don't know for sure but it might help
Syrius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yard sales can help. All I got is an old intel P3 board, but without the manual to understand the pinouts for the front buttons, it's useless. Or save the cash and build a decent system for cheap from Newegg.com
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to frankenstein a machine together, NewEgg.com and MWave.com are your friends.
CP0001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teric wrote:
If you're willing to frankenstein a machine together, NewEgg.com and MWave.com are your friends.

THAT'S not "frankensteining".... Try piecing one together from a number of different computers that people have tossed out.
W.W.M.D. Wink Laughing

The thing that REALLY ticks me off is I have a celeron sitting here, yet it won't send anything to the monitor(God help the person I bought it from when I catch up to them....).

I don't suppose any of you could toss some suggestions out here as to why there's no signal going to the monitor??

http://cp0001.deviantart.com/
CP0001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS!!!!
(rofl)

Looks like when someone flipped an attitude and moved a thread they missed the post that started it.....

I guess the immortal trickster beat me to "dealing with you" on the attitude thing.
Laughing

http://cp0001.deviantart.com/
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY DSL over here is doing the same thing. its been doing this ever since SBC got merged into AT&T. cant find anything wrong with my computer on my end either. Have you tried calling your internet provider?

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: