Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Transitions 2'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reading. Emma is improving Very Happy I hope Jeremy's cousin doesn't turn into another Lance Gulo.

I guess Liz hasn't been informed about Leo yet...

I don't know the area around the ZZ Studios building, but if there are other warehouses in the area if (why not) it would be possible to get a second building nearby. Or to get some free space around and build a second one right next to the current one.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that the A-10s were capable of dropping Napalm.

In fact, I don't think such a 'fairweather' fighter would be reccommended for such an operation, anyway.
(High mountains, sudden crosswinds, heavy aircraft... )

Incidentally USA is just about the only country in the world that hasn't ratified the 1980 UN Anti-Napalm treaty...
So, even if the Danish or Norwegian F-16s in the area would be a much better choice, they wouldn't be allowed to drop the stuff.
(Not certain that the standard USaF version could do that kind of low-level flight. It lacks both the tailmounted chute-pod which is known to add stability, and the more accurate controls used in the Norwegian F-16s.)

That was me nitpicking and generally rambling...

As for Zig Zag expanding ZZStudios.
Generally, there's a bit of distance between warehouses, so it may be a 'less than perfect' solution.
(They need to have wardrobes and costume storage near the studios, so that would have to be either duplicated or moved. Other facilities may also have to be duplicated, depending on what is to be done in which building)
If the buildings were side-to-side, though, I bet that zig Zag wouldn't have been worried about it.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-10 Warthogs are classed a 'close support aircraft'. Close support aircrafts are not primary fighters (other famous aircraft of that type would include the IL-2 Sturmovik and Ju 87 Stuka, both WWII aircraft). The A-10 is extremely sturdy and capable of flying at quite low speeds if necessary (I did a bit of checking up on that bit at least) to allow it to drop payloads with precision.

I -believe- they are capable of taking a napalm payload...as they can take a very wide variety of bombs and missiles, but if someone can prove me incorrect, then I'm open to fixing that bit and putting in another plane instead. Very Happy

As for the Danes or Norwegians in the area, neither of them would be dropping Napalm precisely for the reason you stated, Anthony. The United States is pretty unilateral (*coughcough*) about the use of that, these days. But before the rest of the world starts getting overly sanctimonious about that, it should be added that a number of countries still use phospherous payloads, which are if possible even worse than napalm. Neither Denmark or Norway does, however...so we can justify being highminded about it.

But as said, if someone can prove that the A-10 doesn't have the ability carry napalm bombs, then I'll be open to fixing that bit Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why a plane like the A 10 couldn't drop Napalm. Unless you get really technical and say that the firebombs used by the US after 1991 aren't actually Napalm. They use slightly different components, but the effect is the same. The bombs (M77) aren't that big and I would assume that the US uses a more or less standard mount for such ammunitions.

According to Wikipedia, most "Napalm" bombs in the Iraq war were dropped my Naval aircraft, mainly Harriers or F18 Hornets.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd trust the Sturmovik more than the A-10 in Afghanistan.

The reason I heard for the 'Warthog' name is that it 'steered like one'...
(Of course, I heard it from an F-16 pilot, so... )

Sure, it can fly on just one engine, but you'll have to look long and far for a worse fair-weather aircraft.
And in the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan, guess what; they have sudden bouts of 'weather'...

Physically, there's no problem in hanging a M77 on the same mount as say, an MK-82/MK-84 bomb.

The Harrier and Hornets are much more maneuverable, and can place the drops exactly where needed.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Sure, it can fly on just one engine, but you'll have to look long and far for a worse fair-weather aircraft.

Guess even when both are actually working, it flies as if it had only one engine... (and half of a wing missing) Wink

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, enough's enough, I have to defend the venerable 'hog here. The Valedictorian of my High School class went to the AF Academy, and then chose A-10's as his fighter when he graduated. The Thunderbolt II, the 'hog's official name, is perfectly suited for the mountains and canyons and ground attack work in Afghanistan. It is, despite some aspersions to it's abilities, highly maneuverable. I've seen them in training, and they can roll and turn on a dime, with a full load of ordinance and fuel. While I might concede the Harrier to maneuverability here (it is, after all, a VTOL aircraft) The Hornet is NOT more maneuverable. The A-10 can stay in the air at speed where the Hornet would fall out of the sky.The A-10 has also been updated throguh the years, so many of them can handle the weather as well as any other fighter. Truth is, with the weapons used, unless it's an F-111, any of the mud movers can't attack in bad weather.

The Warthogs are tough as nails, as there are numerous accounts of them coming home with one engine scragged and the other looking like swiss cheese. (They use GE TF-34 engines) Holes in the wings you could drive a volkswagen through, and only one landing gear left, but they came home. One incident over Bagdad had the pilot (a female Air Force fighter pilot) getting hit, and continuing her run. after her flight left the target area, her leader asked if her aircraft was okay. She noticed a slight power loss on her left engine, but no other ill effects. She flew home and landed normally. When she got out and looked, there were numerous holes through her left engine. her leader had actually been able to see the fire from the engine operating through the holes, but the engine continued to produce around 80% power. Those other fighters couldn't sustain half that battle damage and fly home.

As to the use of Napalm, while it might not be called that, there are still incendiary bombs in use. Allow the lady use of a bit of poetic license, guys. Napalm just brings the image out sharper than the rather sterile Incendiary bombs.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the A-10 at work when I was in basic and I can tell you they can practically pivit on that tail of their's and can go slow and low I was amazed. during the first gulf war I saw a report on how an A-10 returned to base with not just the engine but the whole damned thing looking like swiss cheeze not to mention the fire power the thing packs the gatling gun alone is enough to give tank crews nightmares.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zig Zag wrote:
No doubt there were plenty of buildings out there that were suitable to her needs but the only one she had found so far had a rather...unfortunate...neighbor.

There was no need to antagonize the locals, after all.

Anybody wonder what this is about the unfortunate neighbor? Given that the real estate tries to make it look positive (from a bit later in the story), what could it be?

I can't think that there would be any way to put a possible spin on having the sewage treatment plant next door, but then what do I know about marketing types?

A church?

Shadu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A10's have been used in the desert before. as pointed out by Styx, one of the reasons is that it can take a beting and keep on ticking. i think i heard something about the positions of the engines making it more weather resistant (dessert wise).
Fikrann

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
A church?

Naaah, /a/ church would be too bland and obvious for our dear Filly to use..

The chapter is up, by the way. Now you can check out for yourself. Smile
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Snort, giggle* Yeah Fikrann, a church would be too bland. leave it to our favorite Filly to take it over teh top, eh?

Tigermark (Who's not the least offended here.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Folkert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

I tip my hat. I figured it would be something along those lines. But the fact that both "neighbors" come out for the greeting.

That's priceless.
Shadu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really enjoyed that ending! a most awesome chapter!
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I was only half Wink right on the problems associated with Zig's choice for the new location of her studio. I expect her to take this one, if for no other reason that it makes for a much more interesting story than the alternatives. Also, I don't think Zig is someone who backs down easily.

A triangle is much more stable than a line... now that Zig's Temple of Debauchery has joined the club.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 31 of 54

Jump to: