Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTP Issues...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: FTP Issues... Reply with quote

YO WHIP!!!

Q: What mode is FTP on PlanetFurry under?

I have problems trying to log-in to the server on my OSX iBook, but not with my OS9 iBook- both are using Fetch-FTP (FTP Client for Mac; versions for their correct OSes...)

The OSX one gives me a "Log In Error: Incorrect Password", and I have not been able to get into it with the OSX machine. I have no problems with the OS9. I know I'm probably missing something, but not sure of what...

Thanks for the help!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FTP service isn't running in a specific mode, though it is preferred that your client uses active mode.

If you're having issues logging in, you're not even at the point where the client requests either active or passive mode. More than likely, your client is having problems with the @ character in your username, if you're using it. Try replacing the @ character with #, for example: youruser#domain.com.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More test done:
Message received (though not an exact quote, and I know that servers only push out an error number, so this was generated by the client):

Server Connection Refused: Password Incorrect.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet on the OS9 Mac, I have no problems getting on.
I've tried everything, including using the # instead of @, like you said.

Whip verify my password, and email to me on the planetfurry and yahoo accounts, and FTP prefered options (passive vs active; FTP or SFTP; header/url: ftp://pf.com, www.pf.com, or ft.pf.com ; etc.)
Many Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Whip verify my password, and email to me on the planetfurry and yahoo accounts, and FTP prefered options (passive vs active; FTP or SFTP; header/url: ftp://pf.com, www.pf.com, or ft.pf.com ; etc.)

I will not be able to verify your current password, since it is in a one-way hashed format. I can generate a new one, however you may want to just email or PM me a new one.

As far as preferred connection settings, it shouldn't matter anymore. I do recommend using SFTP (uses SSH, not to be confused with FTPS, which uses SSL), which encrypts the tunnel so the login cannot be sniffed out over-the-wire, as well as allowing tunnel compression.

If you're using FTP, I've heard mixed stories regarding Active or Passive modes. From different networks and machines, you may notice better performance, etc. from one or the other. As far as the service on this end is concerned, it shouldn't matter.

The URL (or more specifically, the host name) shouldn't matter, either. The most used FTP host name is ftp.planetfurry.com, however as long as the others resolve to the same IP it should work regardless.

The username should still be in username@planetfurry.com or username#planetfurry.com, depending on your client software. It must contain the [@#]planetfurry.com suffix, to allow the login module to determin which domain to lookup your account.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem Solved:
Its a differences of clients and the OS that they use.
On the machine that it works: (Mac OS 9 on a G3 iBook Using Fetch 3.0)
User = me
Site = planetfurry.com
password = **********

What ever fetch 3.0 is doing, is automatically making all the string varible connections and passing them to the server.

On the machine that does not work (until now): (Mac OSX 10.3.9 on a G3 iBook Using Fetch 4.0/5.0 and CyberDuck_
User = me (does not work) | [email protected] (does work)
Site = planetfurry.com (works) | ftp.planetfurry.com (send me to a blank area... why?)
password = ********** ( does not work for me, but does for [email protected])

Now that I got it working, I find it strange that for what ever reason, the programs are but tying togehter the string variables to create the necessary access to the server. It now works, as you describe, if one literally creates all the needed input strings by hand, as decribed above.

Damn thats ugly. It also does not say much about Unix programmers, other than being lazy bums who cant tie together 2 or more strings in a program. I had to in my day.

Kids- Dont follow this example! Tie your own strings in your programs!
You'll be saving a lot of people a lot of headaches and grief!

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
About 3 weeks ago it seems, per my log, FTP to the PF server began to have troubles. Yesterday I tried to update the Bookshelf site. Numbers of files of various types failed. PDF, HTML, GIF, JPG. Then the next try would transfer.

The sync program I use on each attemp would decide a different group of files would need to be resent, some new and some it had just reported sent successfully. It will also not let me delete any no longer needed files.

This happens only on the PF server and not on the other three servers I upload to.

I have not changed anything, so, WTF?

What is the name of the sync program you're using? I'd like to see if there are any known issues between the ftp service and the sync program. I'd also like to see if the program has certain options, such as choosing between Active or Passive sessions, using SFTP (SSH), etc.

No changes have been made to the server that would have any effect to the FTP service. There is a known issue with the "current" version ProFTP dealing with Passive (PASV) FTP sessions, however it is currently unresolved by the software vendor who releases updated binaries. Neutral My guess is that the application is deleting files before it has a chance to upload new ones, and the service is cutting it off.

For the time being, I perform daily backups on the entire server. Do you know when your site files were complete enough, or an otherwise preferred date, to restore from?
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
I have been using WS_FTP 6 since late 2005 when it came out with no trouble until about 3 weeks ago.

Nothing has changed on the server for the past few months. Sad

Quote:
I got WS_FTP 7 and have tried that on another computer. Same problem.

I can log into my site but transfers mostly fail. The last attempt created some of the folders but none of the files.

Server is FTP
Host Type Auto Detect
Firewall None
Passive Mode
SSL & SSH are inactive.

I also note that of the 4 servers I FTP to PF takes about 5 times the length of time to connect.

I've enabled SFTP (SSH) access for your account. I would highly recommend using it rather than FTP, even if there weren't an issue. Could you try switching your connection to SFTP and see if you have any further issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: