Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Email problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Email problem Reply with quote

My email stopped working this last weekend, and upon talking to The Old Gray Raccoon, it was pointed out that the address I had in my profile was bad. I changed it to a valid email (evidenced by the fact that I received the email on how to reactivate my account).

How do I get my PF email working again? It isn't, at least currently.

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seemed to be a problem with your account. I've recreated it with a recent backup. Let me know if you can login to the account. If not, contact me via PM and I'll reset the password to what you want it to be.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's working. Thanks!
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Not really a problem but more a question.

Last few days I have been gettting things like this:

{Disarmed} [Dela's Fan Club] Simple Question

What is Disarmed?

First, some back story.

This past weekend, I upgraded the installation of MailScanner (antivirus and antispam scanning engine). The previous installation was based on a version almost 2 years old, missing several important updates. Until I had properly upgraded the software in a test environment, it had been left untouched.

Some of the new features added were the ability to disarm potential problem messages, rather then blocking them outright (which was the case before the upgrade). <script>, <iframe>, <object>, <form> and other HTML tags not usually welcome in emails are often used by spammers, phishers, and the like. This version of MailScanner will "sanitize" these tags, allowing the message to still be viewable but functionally "disarmed".

A wordy response, but hopefully that answers your question. Smile
KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but the new MailScanner appears to be choking on files it doesn't recognize, and is blocking some of my emails as a result. I just tried to send myself a zip file this morning containing the source code to a personal project, and the Penguserve server rejected the message by saying that all of my .ico files were potentially unsafe and/or infected with a virus.

.ico files are icon resources for Windows projects. The zip file contained a number of these resources, as well as .cpp and .h files, a batch file for generating a Help project (which it also marked as unsafe), and a few binary and XML files needed for Visual Studio. It didn't contain any compiled binaries.

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KieferSkunk wrote:
I hate to say it, but the new MailScanner appears to be choking on files it doesn't recognize, and is blocking some of my emails as a result. I just tried to send myself a zip file this morning containing the source code to a personal project, and the Penguserve server rejected the message by saying that all of my .ico files were potentially unsafe and/or infected with a virus.

.ico files are icon resources for Windows projects. The zip file contained a number of these resources, as well as .cpp and .h files, a batch file for generating a Help project (which it also marked as unsafe), and a few binary and XML files needed for Visual Studio. It didn't contain any compiled binaries.

MailScanner recognized the files, however there are rules in place which forbid those file extensions:
Code:
deny    \.bmp$                  Windows bitmap file security vulnerability
                                Possible buffer overflow in Windows
deny    \.ico$                  Windows icon file security vulnerability
                                Possible buffer overflow in Windows

These extensions are blocked due to older issues in Windows which are not detectable as viruses. Granted, these are fairly old issues that have since been resolved by Microsoft, however many people do not make it a habit to update their systems which require email scanning gateways such as this to continue blocking said extensions.

An alternative to sending large files, or collection(s) of files, through email, which isn't recommended due to message size and content restrictions, is to use a file transfer service. One in particular that I use on occasion is YouSendIt. Just be sure to make sure you have an ad blocker. Smile

Last edited by Whip-lash on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd thought sending via email would be a problem, I'd just have FTP'd it up to my site in a private folder and then downloaded it again that way. Didn't think to do it this morning - was in a bit of a hurry to get to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: