Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wat i think will happen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon027

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moto715 wrote:
BTW: I did some talking with said friend and we both agree thst time travel may be possible at some point. But it's a one way ticket to the future. No going back.
Well, a few more major advancements in cryogenics and that's what you'll have. However, that's not really "time travel" unless you count the normal passage of time as such. If that's the case, then every one of us are time travellers.

A thought occured to me. We all know the argument of paradox with going back in time and changing something; but what about going forward in time, doing something, and then crossing back to your own present? Or moving forward in time, seeing something you don't like, and making changes in the present to avoid it? Would the same paradox still hold even though the events in the future have no direct effect on the present (that we know of)? Or has this question already been asked and I just missed it?

Anxious Oops. Got a little carried away. Heh.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One theory is that there is only one past, but infinite futures.

You may safely travel into the future and come back home. Of course if you do it again, the second time the future you visit it will be different. And when you get there naturally, it will be different still.

If you travel into the past, you can never return to your to your exact time and reality. If you only go a few days into the past then return, the chance of having a problem is slight, but it still exists. What if in the second future you were killed the day before in an auto accident? If you go dozens or hundreds of years into the past, the possibility of returning to a timeline similar to your own would be vanishingly small.

Another theory is that there is only one timeline and it is self-healing.

Go into the past and you can monkey with events all you want. Reality will rearrange itself so the purpose of fate is fufilled. Now if you go three days into the past and kill someone, then in the present that person will be dead, but soon someone else will arise to fulfill your victim's purpose and your plans for changing the future will fail.

The most popular theory in fiction seems to be to mix and match bits of the infinite futures and self-healing theories.

The author does whatever the heck he or she wants and hopes the readers aren't too smart or discriminating. After all, it's fiction, right? Typically, large events have infinite possibilities while small events are self-healing. This is a popular technique with shows like Star Trek. Although I remember one episode of ST Voyager which seemed to be based on infinite futures.

There are many other theories too.

For example, time travel is not possible. There is evidence of this. If time travel were possible then a few people, at many points in the past, would have met time travelers. It seems unlikely that they have all kept quiet. Of course maybe the authors who have written fiction about time travel did meet these brave souls from our future and rather than write a factual account, fictionalized it and sold the book. H. G. Wells comes to mind.

<looks over at the Foxx> Well?

Scotty

ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon027 wrote:
moto715 wrote:
BTW: I did some talking with said friend and we both agree thst time travel may be possible at some point. But it's a one way ticket to the future. No going back.
Well, a few more major advancements in cryogenics and that's what you'll have. However, that's not really "time travel" unless you count the normal passage of time as such. If that's the case, then every one of us are time travellers.

Well sure, that's what your car is!

Look at your watch, you're in the present.

Look out the windshield, there's the future.

Look in the rear-view mirror, there's the past.

Hours of amusement Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asalis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is jsut a personal observation of mine but i've noticed that with everythign tht everyone says is impossible and against teh lws of physics. Man kind has created a technology that redifines ourperceptions of physics and show that the impossible is quite possible. For example once it was said that mankind could nto fly. then we invent the airplane. it was said the soud barrior coudl not be reached so we invent the jet. it was allso thought impossible to communicate across two point instantaniously untill the telephone was invented and integrated years later in society.

now on a side note and more twords the topic of discussion, it is my belief that in holding with the infinite diversity amoung infinite possiilities we cant just create a macine that can transcend time but dimension as well. for is theres an infinite amount of alternate versions of the presant then wouldnt that be true for the past as well? In order to return home you would have to know the exact point of which you are before you leave. otherwise you could end up in a completly different dimension simmilar to the one you leaft or completly different and alien to you. The same can be true for traveling in the future. You may not always return to the exact same point you leaft.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember- once you launch and crash an action, you cant reboot the universe...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asalis wrote:
In order to return home you would have to know the exact point of which you are before you leave. otherwise you could end up in a completly different dimension simmilar to the one you leaft or completly different and alien to you.
Wasn't there a series working on a similar idea? Not time travel but dimention travel, "Sliders" if I remember correctly. They were always looking for their home dimension while trying to fit in with whichever dimension they were in until the next slide.
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
Asalis wrote:
In order to return home you would have to know the exact point of which you are before you leave. otherwise you could end up in a completly different dimension simmilar to the one you leaft or completly different and alien to you.
Wasn't there a series working on a similar idea? Not time travel but dimention travel, "Sliders" if I remember correctly. They were always looking for their home dimension while trying to fit in with whichever dimension they were in until the next slide.

Honestly, I completly forgot about that television series. First couple of seasons were good but after they started killing old cast members and trading them with new ones I kind of lost interest after that.

As for what I was talkign about I also included the concept of time in there. meaning that if you wanted to go in the past you jsut might wind up in a past that wasnt recorded by yoru world.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Superlagg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just hope that the universe doesnt get too badly wanged-up. I'm pretty sure breaking God's Alienware with time-smacking wouldnt make him too peachy.
TGIF007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely alternatives:
  • You can't change time - My least favorite alternative for very obvious reasons.

• Branching time lines - Tabitha creates a new and happier timeline (and hopefully that is the one documented in SOTS) while somewhere else the original timeline continues unchanged.

• Stream of consciousness (a.k.a.: "follow the arrow") - The fact that the time traveler has traveled in time gives them a certain immunity to the changes that they wrought, such that the fact that they traveled back in time and made changes remains, even though their change may have in fact removed their motivation to have done such. In many ways, this is the happiest, since there is just one time line and we are able to have Sabrina saved (and remain saved).

Oh - and one more alternative:

• You leave clues to yourself to go back and fix things - knowing that her motivation to go back in time and warn Sabrina will disappear, part of the tampering is to warn herself of the need to go back and warn Sabrina. This type of story raises the question (as in Heinlein's "By his bootstraps") as to where the initial loop started, but the need to examine how multiple iterations work, once the message has been left to the untraumatized Tabitha of the need to go back, doesn't need to be examined.

Now if I only had a time machine to move forward to see the finished stories...

TGIF
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one of those, bring me back a copy too Wink
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
If you find one of those, bring me back a copy too Wink

Well, I CAN tell yunz this:

Chapter 51 is approaching its closure! And believe me, this has been a HARD chapter to write! A lot harder than I originally anticipated; I'm indebted to Racky for the help he's offered! Not only has he saved Chapter 51 from whatever made the original file throw up, but he's helped with contributions I'm weaving in as we speak! I have a lot to cover and I want to do it ALL in one chapter so I can move on to Christmas, then Y2K, then rock and roll along to Chris and Sabrina's first anniversary since they met online.

Tabitha has been on a small haitus because of Chapter 51 of her sister Story (get it, sister Story, they're sisters, and they're both stories about the sisters and they intertwine, gettit gettit?). It's officially out of mothballs and there's a LOT to go, even though there's only a few chapters left the work involved is going to be massive, and if I tell you why I'll spoil *everything*!

So get ready for Thanksgiving with the Foxx's and the Mustelidae's, it should be interesting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51? Did I miss 50 or did I just forget reading it? *goes back to read or re-read 50*
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
51? Did I miss 50 or did I just forget reading it? *goes back to read or re-read 50*

I'd like to think neither! Smile But I certainly recommend rereading to keep the flow going when 51 goes up!

FTR, Sabrina's parents and Tabitha arrive to see Chris and Sabrina for Thanksgiving the next day, if that joggles the brain cells Wink
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back and reread the whole series. I had forgotten the crowbar. I think it's safe to say chris that you have ensured that joke will be around for along time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: