Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you write stories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you write?
ASAP, so I don't forget it.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
I barely ever write, I just take notes in my head
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Slow and Steady...
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Dumb Question.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: How do you write stories? Reply with quote

I personally just memorize my stories, writing them down only if and when neccesary. Even with this rule, I still love to get other people's take on things. Just another good reason for this poll.
Nadan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write in spurts. I'll sit down in a week or two and write or edit for hours on end, and then not touch anything for a week or three. I'm sure it's not good for my skill level to be doing that, especially since I want to improve. I'm trying to be more focused and regular. I take a notebook with me daily to make notes or write scenes. I have a particular day every week where I (am supposed to) write or edit work from that week, and whatever else I have time for. So far, that seems to be going well.

My biggest point is that I tend to go back and rework old stories. I just can't leave them be. And I can't write one thing at a time. That leaves me with a lot of unfinished work. Oh, to be focused!

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with memorizing my stories is that I do it in "dream format". Yes, I do use computers too much. No words are associated with the story except for when the characters talk. I actually literally "see" my stories as I imagine them ( a vivid imagination helps). This gets in my way when I try to change to text. I have to think of words to describe what happens while I'm writing. I can't do that in my head.
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks at categories*

You forgot "All of the Above." Wink Depends on the story. FVR almost seems to write itself at times, while some of the stories I have to struggle with for ideas.

Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, I write 1-2k words a day when writing, then take a week off when finished (during which I use the same time-allotment to edit older stuff). If the product was a novel, I'll take several weeks off.

I write almost invariably six days a week using this method, taking one off if I just can't do it. If I want more than one day a week off, I require myself to earn it by writing multiple parts on another day. As Jerry Pournelle said, success in writing equals ass in chair.

I also post my work daily on one or more of several mailing lists I belong to, including the TSA, Furry-Lit, and the TFWF (a workshop). More and more frequently, I post only to the TFWF. This is because more and more of my output is going straight to TSAT and "Anthro" webzines, which frown on prior posting outside a workshop environment. I find that daily posting garners me daily feedback, which helps keep me going. It also forces me to pay attention to details, and do things right the first time. I am speaking only for me myself, personally, but I find that daily posting is what makes possible the level of discipline I need to improve myself as a writer.

Sadly, my output is down the last two years, which means I've been forced to spend more time edting and less creating. Prior to that, I put out a novel a year plus 10-20 shorts like clockwork. Then things started going south, and I haven't written a novel or more than 8-10 shorts a year for two years- this for lack of ideas. I thought I was washed up until this year some of the magic started to come back. 2005 isn't the year that, say, 2002 was for me in literary terms. However, it represents an upturn, which is a Good Thing in my book.

If asked for advice, I would suggest that one of the most important things a writer can do is commit several hours a day to Pournelle's "Ass in Chair" time. A writer has to write regularly and often, I beleive, or else his skills will degrade faster than they can improve.
cyberhorn
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to store up a great deal of the story and then dump it into word then dont do anything for a bit

i talk out my stories thinking about them while doing daily tasks driving place to place
Yakoku Aekis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can memorise my stories and notes but carry the essential stuff when travelling, but i usually write at the night time for several hours normally not getting any sleep until a day later but i find that listening to music while writing can help me depict the scene better but i can see whats happening along woth the characters emotions which had caused for some ranom incidents when writing as i was crying from a particualr scene and my parents walked in and they didnt know why i was crying which sort of freaked them out
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Nadan, I write in spurts.

Bad habit. It would be better to write a little bit every day. But I did write bunches yesterday. Weee! Did bunches of PHP coding today, but it's all part of the same project so that's cool. When I do write, my output is kinda low. Yesterday I produced 1815 words. I found myself slipping into my old habits of doing research--which is kinda not the effect I was going for. Yesterday I made up my own facts. It's atrocious. It's offensive. It pushes the boundaries of good taste. It's fun!

As far as thinking of stories and then not writing them down--doesn't count. We are each a legend in our own mind. It's when the ink hits the paper that makes it real. Sure we need to dream up the ideas in the first place, but not writing it down is a bit like having an imaginary lover, getting imaginary married, keeping an imaginary household, and raising imaginary kids.

Scotty

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KEEP NOTES!
huge volumes of notes, and I do mean huge.

Some of them, could be considered books unto themselves. I have a terrible memory, so it is damn near imposable to keep half of my ideas fresh. I just wish I had kept a hard copy of my more recent ones, I just lost my hard drive so im starting over agian. I hate that!

Well, I guess its a good thing though, I probably needed a fresh perspective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: