Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good deal or no?
Aye
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Nay
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Bearion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric,

The latest 80, 100, and 120 WD drives are (finally) as quiet as the Maxtors. Hopefully they have fixed their quality problems. I still favor Maxtors over WD myself, but your mileage may vary.

I am convinced that XP Home is the best windows platform for home use. I use XP Pro, but then I need the WEB server and Domain features. Stick with the Home version. The only caveat is if you have older hardware like scanners and such they may NOT be supported in XP. I've got a closet full of orphaned equipment... Sad

Both my son and I use 512m with WinXP, and it runs wonderfully.

If gaming is a primary function, get the fastest, latest video card you can. A year from now it will be just OK. Wink

A good 19" crt monitor is cheap enough to get now while waiting on the flat screens to come down. Also, most older flat screens don't refresh fast enough for really fast gaming. Just as speakers (IMHO) are the most important piece in the stereo system that connects your ears to the music, the monitor feeds the eyes. Don't skimp.

I use an Athlon myself, so I'm biased. Rava is correct that the P4 is better at certain multimedia jobs, like video production. For gaming, the opposite seems to be true.

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Bearion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Nay Reply with quote

Nay I m'fraid There are better deals than that in places. Look at some package deals (the rare good ones), visit a computer fair once in a while.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nay Reply with quote

Arctic Fox wrote:
Nay I m'fraid There are better deals than that in places. Look at some package deals (the rare good ones), visit a computer fair once in a while.

Um, Arctic. Thsi treat was started 2 month ago. Of course there are better deals than that by now Smile

Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

awww C'mon, even for then it was still expensive.
RodTerl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I would suggest trying to avoid WinXP at all possible. The future security upgrades, linking it to embedded Fritz chips, effectively turn you into a MS employee, with all the loss of rights, privaleges etc that employment entails. That is, you lose all right to claim any and all work done on such a machine as your own, as it has been processed by the OS as created and owned by MS.

Try looking around at the various other OS that are around, even Lindows and Open Office if you so require.

Personally, Im saving up for an AOS 4.0 or 5.0 machine, which seems to have MSs backing, mainly because they dont have a clue whats occuring.

XP, if it wasnt for the super propriety strangle hold, aint too bad an OS, its somewhere betweenAOS 2.04, and 3.0, or, only something we should have had over 10 year ago, and I would have been happy with it. Throw in Palladium etc, and what Ive talked to with various people already. and Im afraid I wouldnt touch it with a 10 meter cattle prod, except to EMP it.

If you find its speed and behaviour acceptable, go for it. Try switching off the auto updates however, and watch how quickly it shuts itself down.

Im afraid that the companies wish to make sure they hold the power to compute, and remove it from the person. Well, looks like MS stuffed the Judges again.

Try it. If you dont like the loss of freedom. Theres always another. For now.

RodTerl

Using a base 14 Mhz A1200, cos the new 800 Mhz Amiga Ones are too expensive. 8(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: