Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superlagg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Regan, this helps very much!

I made the mistake of making Tim, the main character, a Mary Sue like thing. I had no idea I was doing this until a reader told me that Tim's godlyness 'pissed him off'. After reading through my story once more, it kinda had the same effect. Due to that, I decided to nerf the hell out of Tim. Made us both happier it did.

For the Furs of my story, they were generally made with no actual specific purpose in mind, generally a human with a permanent and very realistic fursuit on. I do, however, try and make them somewhat animalistic in some cases, like if they are pushed way too far, they instinctively go berzerk in a way that can make chili out of a roomful of wizards (and its happened!). This normally only happens when overly physically stressed, extremely hungry, and is emotionally stressed, basically when they are about to either be dead or mentally snap. I have my Furs to be quite like the Sabrinaverse ones, cept with a few differences to make it more logical or interesting.

As for my villains, it is a galactical empire that consists of either truely genetic Vernichten Sie, decended from their distant ancenstors when they used to be Paix Vrede people, robots that are nearly humanlike in the ways it does things (depending on the robot, Zergskaters have a sort of binary mind, which is either run and shoot or dont run and shot.), or captured people from Godland (The chunk of the known universe that the 'goodish guys' are at, like Tim) that are forced to be soldiers against thier home people.

As for the cast sheet, if I get it right (like character bio, right?), I dont like to use them for the same reason I like to use 'kinda' for alot of things. I like to keep the things that my character can/cannot do not set in stone, for the reason that I like to have Tim to act on what he feels he should do. He did, afterall, join the enemy side for awhile until the second in command pissed Tim off.

What drives Tim is those who test, Blarg, and Furs. Though he would let most Humans and Quantians, definately Mecklens, be in peril if he figures that they didnt do anything for him, he would go out of his way to help a Fur in desperate need, except if he is busy, tired, or just not up to it. Tim has one rule for those who test him: kill them. If he cant do that, then he finds a way to do so. Depending on how badly someone tests, he will either only be pissed for a little while or go Terminator on them. And for Blarg, its like a sort of space booze that technically isnt even booze. Instead of using an intoxicant like alcohol, it uses a relaxant named selgihol to put the user in a happy state of mind, taking alot of stress off while being physically impossible to overdose (Taking about twice as much then there is fluid in the human body). Though somehat adicting, it is cheap enough, the effects are benifitial enough, and the withdrawl being not too bad enough to make it not a problem (Nearly half the Godland Universe has a degree of adiction to selgihol, and due to the above stated, it isnt a problem.).

Thanks Mr. Regan, this is very helpful!

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post! It cirtianly helps me, I currently have two stories one fantasy and one sci fi. the sci-fi one causes loads of stress for me becouse the villian is the unbealiavable character and he's a human. I think he just needs a purpose and thats what ill work on next.
No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up Mike! Personally, when I feel that I've created a character worth keeping, I give him his own 'character file.' It clearly lays out the personality of the character, his strengths, his weaknesses, I even give them a set height weight, the works. It helps me a lot in planning the story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: