Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Speculation on Tabitha's Curse.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Sherer had this explanation of how time travel works: http://www.badlydrawnkitties.com/d/20050225.html. It seemed topical.

Scotty

Superlagg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry if this is a thread mine, or a thread necro.

Some things cannot be answered with earth science. Chronological disturbances such as this would create even more problems, one that would repeat itself infinately. This of course shouldnt happen. But what to solve such a thing, you may ask? What about a chronological moderator, something that would step in and try to fix time disorders, while at the same time not affected by time disturbances. In my story, Ents are one of those things. Why wouldnt a problem with time be solved by something else that dosent feel the affects of time? After all, there are some things that are not known, and many that we shall never know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread Mine... BOOM!!!

Actually, I think this is what Chris is doing thus far; with Tabitha being the chrono-moderator by her own choosing, and I must say, taking it quite personal too.

In my story, I'm taking a simillar approach of having the time travellers undo a major wrong, though many are taking it personal too, and like always- certain emtions get in the way: greed, revenge, superior complexes, etc... Not to mention an ultra high body count in the process.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Superlagg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Thread Mine... BOOM!!!

Actually, I think this is what Chris is doing thus far; with Tabitha being the chrono-moderator by her own choosing, and I must say, taking it quite personal too.

In my story, I'm taking a simillar approach of having the time travellers undo a major wrong, though many are taking it personal too, and like always- certain emtions get in the way: greed, revenge, superior complexes, etc... Not to mention an ultra high body count in the process.

I see. Im my story, Tim once had to go to the future where he already exists, have both versions of Tim to a time in between those times where the said person also exist, so now there are 3 of the same person in the same time. This gave all 3 Tim's a headache, due to Ents' hypersensitivity to time and time shifts. Tim 1 from 1999 attacks a Myg0t assassin who is attempting to kill someone that is Tim's friend, fails, gets Tim from 2030 attacks the Myg0t, distracting it long enough for 1999 Tim to call 2011 Tim, who flys over in his ship, bandages 1999 Tim, and kills the Myg0t with their nano-swords in a 'DO NEVAR TEST' moment. This obviously isnt good for time, seeing that 3 timelines overlap, 2 timelines overlap multiple times, and some past (1999) alterations. All this time rapage alerted the Myg0t ruler, who is a very insane Ent, which sent forces to attack the time disturbance in 2011 and 2030. It seems both failed, seeing as though that 2030 exists. The furs of the HL2 galaxy Earth have succeeded in something that human Earth did as well, and lived, thanks to Tim alerting the Flamehaus military station on two separate occasions. But Tim would have to have called them before the attack happened by a few hours, so how would the Flamehaus have been able to get there in time without fore warning? Perhaps Tim wasnt the final target of whoever went to him in the past. Perhaps Tabitha is an Ent, but I realy highly doubt it.

Also, the term thread mine refers to a thread necro, bump, or resurection from a long time ago. Seeing as though this thread was dated the 28 of March, I thought it would have surely have been a thread mine. I guess not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RodTerl

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Ouch Reply with quote

Still trying to work out which equations I need 8}

Got some very strange things, as to maybe entanglement works by having temoprally connected trousers of probability.

That is, no matter what you do to the left leg, the effects on the Universe are propagated bidirectionally though what we call time, making the right leg deform in consequence, and so being able to tell what the right leg is doing, just by watching the left leg 8}

Um.. sorry bout that, I got my certificate, so it makes sense to me.. 8}

Founbd some interesting things about neural nets, construction and behaviour of.. Fairly simple code if anyone wants to create the neural function for database processing? 8}

RodTerl

Hmm, I made a new group on Yahoo, for an old story idea, and theres only 20 groups with similar names, but none are similar to mine?

Cool

Maltray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
Hmm... might draw fire for this one, but here I go.

As stated so eloquently already, The quality of life lived, not the quantity matters. It is also what one leaves behind that is the best indicator.

Analysis time.

Sabrina has a loving family, which at the point of her death, include a husband, plus her little sister, and parents. Obviously, there are more, but those are the ones we know of by name and face (there might be more that I don't know of, or don't remember, but hey, that's what threads are for). She has several friends in "The clique" Amy, Thomas, ZZ, coworkers from ZZ Studios, Clarence, Friends made at Work at Chris's company, and who knows what other friends She made here and there.

Now, I doubt her funeral would have been near empty. I've already compiled a list of likely attendees. Of those significant members of her life... Chris, her family, and her closest friends would obviously be greatly affected, to varying degrees. Those casual friends from various places of work and such would likely be saddened by the news, but I think they would quickly recover and get on with their lives, and likely even forget her.

Given the setting of Tabitha's starting time, several years after the accident, I think only her family, and close friends even know who Sabrina Foxx was. Realisticly, this does not put her as one of those "bright, shining stars." Sabrina is an average person. Her death was tragic, just like every other fur (or person for the matter) who dies, except for those who feel they have lived their full lives. In fact, the only reason their is even a discussion really, is because she happens to be the main character of a very nice story, written extremely well.

Now, Tabitha managed to get the opportunity to bring Sabrina back, by trying to prevent her death. She does so by breaking the rules, going directly against directives from those in charge of the project and her. She lies and conceals her true motive for the opportunity to be on the development team, just for the opportunity. In some ways, she resembles an obsessed, unstable fur. She has devoted a great deal of her life, risked a great deal for this. There are others who would do the same, given the chance, but I do think the vast majority would have been able to accept her death, and move on with their lives, as is generally accepted to be proper.

Should Tabitha have meddled as she did, went back, and tried to alter history? Probably not. The sci-fi genre is riddled with stories of time travel gone wrong. Altering history seems to be a bad idea, with far reaching, intricate, sometimes subtle, sometimes unsubtle ramifications. The what-ifs are nearly infinite, limited only by the imagination. Tabitha knows how things turn out in the years after Sabrina's death. We're all going to find out how things change because of going back. I don't think any of us will ever know how things would have turned out in Tabitha's future to come, had she not devoted her life obsessively to this goal, and had moved on.

Hmm yes it would seem Tabitha is an obsessive. Such meddling with Time Travel can cuase a heap of problems. By saving Sabby from the accident that claimed her life Tabitha must have created a predestination paradox, the fact that she has saved Sabby incures many problems as I have said.

If the timeline has been damaged it should be that one of the possible problems is that Tabitha must always go back and rescue Sabby. There by creating the casulty loop. Another possible outcome is that Tabitha might not become the researcher she is and there by wipe herself from the timeline. The result of Sabby's survival has created an altinate timeline, just how much this timeline will be altered from the one seemingly insignificant action cannot be shown as yet.

Time Travel is of course a grey area, any action has knock on effects. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" It could be that the effect of Sabby surviving the accident could result in the new timeline being the one "True time line"

Maltray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
It has already been stated in the story that Tabitha has OCD.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and she admits to it. Note her habit of always having to touch the top of the door frame as she goes through.

And if you read the Sabrina story she started to do that after being baby sat by Sabrina at Sabrina's apartment and having a visit from the 'Nice lady'.

*chuckles* point taken, but I do get through a hell of a lot of stories on the net and in books. So I don't remember everything, plus I'm writing my own stuff and such so I do tend to forget things when I'm busy.

Maltray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Maltray wrote:

*chuckles* point taken, but I do get through a hell of a lot of stories on the net and in books. So I don't remember everything, plus I'm writing my own stuff and such so I do tend to forget things when I'm busy.

Oh I can relate to that. Smile

But it always makes me wonder, did young Tabitha see future Tabitha do it and start because she thought it was cool? Or is this some psychological manifestation of the two meeting? A paradox type of thing.

Hmm well if the young Tabitha did see her future self then that could be a time paradox.

Psychological manifestation I'm not sure on that Mike. Most of the time travel I know of is by A C Clark or within Trek or several other books.

One think I am sure of the two could not physicaly touch. The same atoms being in the same place at the same time is dangerous in one book's theory they whould probably would annialate each other.

Then there's the possiblity of a recurring Casulty time loop. In theroy if the young Tabitha does'nt see the future Tabitha she might not become the Tabitha of 2030. So the future Tabitha has to go back in time for her youngerself to see her.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something no one has thought of...

ESP. Many twins can sense the other's thoughts, probably because if the two brains having near identical frequencies and patterns.

Now a person going back in time to meet themselves would be would have 2 near identical brains on the same exact frequencies and near identical patterns would link up immediately and start to send messages to each other.

The younger Tabitha would be more suggestive and receptive to the older Tabitha because the child being younger is more receptive to everything around her.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maltray wrote:
One think I am sure of the two could not physicaly touch. The same atoms being in the same place at the same time is dangerous in one book's theory they whould probably would annialate each other.

Except your body is continually replacing old cells with new identical cells (especially skin and hair/fur). So I think it's highly unlikely that the same cells (let alone the same atoms) are present in the body after so many years (at least the external ones).

Superlagg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe she was born with the gene for OCD, and it could have nothing to do with Future Tabby at all. If you came from the future to your past self, your past self (lets call him Pasty) wouldnt know it, unless it wasnt from very far into the future. Your future self (lets call him Futury) would have changed enough so that Pasty wouldnt know that Futury was there unless Futury told Pasty that Futury was from the future, especially is Pasty is a very little kid and Futury is a middle-aged adult. Futurey could be Pasty's mother/father/grandfather/grandmother/ect, and Pasty wouldnt even know that his/her mother/father/ect was actually Pasty's Futury self (IM MY OWN GRANDPA!Not really, dur.). In short, Pasty wouldnt know Futury is Pasty from the future unless Futury let Pasty know somehow.
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Tabitha wouldn't have recognized herslef after all that time. That's for sure.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recollection only works one way. You have to experience it to remember it. Not having ever gone through it before, of course the Young Tabitha would not know.

Even worse is trying to have it explained to her!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: