Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planet Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you consider a planet?
Any object above 1000 kilometers wide
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Any object above 2000 kilometers wide
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Any object having enough gravitation pull to collect itself into a spherical form that is not orbiting another solid (like a moon)
90%
 90%  [ 19 ]
Something else, I'm the scientist here! (please make your theory loud and clear)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

vladspellbinder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aryeon wrote:
whell there will be no life on any of those planets, the radiation of the neutron star has destroyed any atempt.

At least not Carbon based life...

There are many definitions of what could be a 'plant'. In my book it can be anything of enough mass to hold it's own gravity.

It doesn’t have to be orbiting a star, and could in fact be the moon of another planet while being a planet in and of it's self. In the end I don't think it really matter what one person things, it takes a consensus of people with enough authority to 'change' what The Mass would consider a planet, and even them your going to have Individuals that think differently than The Masses...

Just my one and a half American cents

Don't mind the horns, they are only there to hold up the halo
Fiendly bloodsucker signing off for now 0>:)

P: retteb elttil a emit ruoy dneps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedneckFur wrote:
wow...that sounds difficult.....is there such a system?

They have found binary and trianry star systems out there, and only recently have we been able to detect planets on other star systems. And with billions if stars per galaxy and billion of galaxies in this universe, its only mathematically calculable that at least 1(!!!) does exit.

So the question is not 'is there such a system?' but rather 'now that we found it, what shall we call it?'

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: