Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmm?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICG wrote:
Jaymee Fox wrote:
1979 ? and you're 27? o.o I'm 26 and i was born in 1978 i 'll be 27 this august. *confused* x.x

The solution is for the first he had this year already his birthday (and became therefore one year older) and you not. For the second, it's the other way round, your brother already had birthday, and (you said it yourself Wink ) he will turn 24 - in November Cool.

Everyone asks me such questions all the time and folks don't think about the months and because my birthday is in december, it happens to me more often than to others I guess.

O.o.... ...... okay..... Shocked

------------------------
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28, born May 1977, two days after my Grandmother's birthday.

Dunno what happened on that day, don't really care, to be honest. Wink
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 22, born 04/09/1983
Sylverwolfe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
365, leap year dontchya know Smile

My mistake there Styx. Sharp eye there!

If however, you really want to get technical, it is 365.2422 days. (Mean Tropical Solar year.) You can find that one in an almanac btw.

It's curious because under the Gregorian Calendar, invented by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582, the year is 365.2425 days in length.

"One leap year every four years. Except for centuries NOT divisible by 400."

IE 1700, 1800, 1900 Not leap year
1600, 2000, and 2400 are Leap years.

(It's something I was interested in for a series of calculations.)

An interesting side note: It is incredible to me that this was determined without the use of calculators, slide rules etc. And Pope Gregory XIII was only off by about 0.0003 days which translates to a difference of only 25.92 seconds!!!

Oh And I'm not making fun, I only like to wow others with my knowledge of the obscure! *lol*
Sylverwolfe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkunkFox wrote:
april 15th, 1979... 27 currently. Anyone makes a joke about what else fell on that day and I'll totally kill you.

Hey Skunk I'm not poking fun but since I'm only a day younger, I happen to know that you are really 26. No worries dude.
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 22, 1968.
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylverwolfe wrote:
Styx wrote:
365, leap year dontchya know Smile

My mistake there Styx. Sharp eye there!

If however, you really want to get technical, it is 365.2422 days. (Mean Tropical Solar year.) You can find that one in an almanac btw.

It's curious because under the Gregorian Calendar, invented by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582, the year is 365.2425 days in length.

"One leap year every four years. Except for centuries NOT divisible by 400."

IE 1700, 1800, 1900 Not leap year
1600, 2000, and 2400 are Leap years.

(It's something I was interested in for a series of calculations.)

An interesting side note: It is incredible to me that this was determined without the use of calculators, slide rules etc. And Pope Gregory XIII was only off by about 0.0003 days which translates to a difference of only 25.92 seconds!!!

Oh And I'm not making fun, I only like to wow others with my knowledge of the obscure! *lol*

*giggles * if you like to show off your knowledge then we oughta make a new forum to show off silly facts ^^

------------------------
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylverwolfe wrote:

Just because the tools they used didn't look or work like the tools we use today doesn't mean they did not have ways to make precise astronomical measurements many ancient cultures could accurately map the movement of the stars and the rotation of the earth around the sun. Just don't ask me to give details; the thing about getting most of your knowledge from the discovery and history channels is that it's all kind of half assed Rolling Eyes

SpetsnazFox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14, november 10th 1990 Think
Typhun

Location: Somerset, England - The left armpit of the universe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25th August '87. an 80's wild-child, you might say..... and 43 years to the day after they liberated Paris.....

um, yeah, thas aboot it.....

in that old-fasioned Avro of mine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Styx wrote:
Sylverwolfe wrote:

Just because the tools they used didn't look or work like the tools we use today doesn't mean they did not have ways to make precise astronomical measurements many ancient cultures could accurately map the movement of the stars and the rotation of the earth around the sun. Just don't ask me to give details; the thing about getting most of your knowledge from the discovery and history channels is that it's all kind of half assed Rolling Eyes

When the built the Los Angeles Aqueduct back in the early 1900s they began digging from opposite sides of a mountain to make a tunnel through it. When they met in the middle the center lines were only 1" off.

Another example, when they build pyramids in ancient Egypt that had to level the ground first. They did that by cutting small channels into the stone and filling them with water. They marked the waterline and them cut away everything above it. That way precise enough that from one corner of the Cheops Pyramid (the biggest one in Egypt) to the other there is only a difference of 1 cm (less than half an inch).

Sylverwolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:

I didn't get this stuff from the History Channel or Discovery. I looked this knowledge up in books and read about Pope Gregory XIII

I am aware of the fact of sextants, quadrants and the like being used by astronomers for years. Arabs founded modern day astronomy and it is beleived they had some really good instrumentation. The name Beetelguese, which is a red giant in Orion, came from the Arab astronomers from way, way back. Like in the times when Europeans were in the early dark ages.

Whatever the case, it is still interesting that this number was figured out in 1582! It doesn't seem trivial to me!
Sylverwolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:

When the built the Los Angeles Aqueduct back in the early 1900s they began digging from opposite sides of a mountain to make a tunnel through it. When they met in the middle the center lines were only 1" off.

There was something like this with the chunnel too. (That's the tunnel that goes under the English Channel.) They had moles (Vehicles that tunnel and remove soil as they work) that met in the middle with a difference of only like 4 cm.

Then the St. Lois Arch. 300 ft high and had a space of like 1/2" when the two sides were conjoined on the last day of its construction.

The amazing accuracy is just remarkable.
Nyx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 5th, 1980
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> jaymeefox All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: