Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wedding Tips from Guys who've Been There
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ever going to tie the knot?
If I find the right person, sure.
86%
 86%  [ 20 ]
No way! I like my freedom!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Wedding Tips from Guys who've Been There Reply with quote

That's right you single young whipper-snappers! Turn off that dang music and lend an ear! This thread's where married guys and gals can dispense our wise and sage advice to you young-uns that don't have rings on your fingers just yet.

To start off, here's a little quiz for the young guys out there to see if that special someone in your life is your soul mate, or someone who would steal that soul from you and sell it on eBAY. Twisted Evil

1. You're going for drinks with your buddies and invite your girl to meet up. She says:

a. "Sounds great! How bout' if I buy?"

b. "Nah, I'm not in the mood, but have fun."

c. "You better not come home drunk, you bastard!"

2. How does your girl handle being angry with you?

a. She says something mean, then apologizes later with a giant plate of nachos.

b. She's really passive-aggressive for a week until you buy her something and apologize.

c. She hosts one tantrum and/or one serious conversation and then gets over it.

3. You say you want to take some photography lessons. She:

a. Offers to get some of her friends to pose nude for you.

b. Suggests you join a gym and work on the love handles instead.

c. Buys you a book on photography with lots of naked pictures.

4. Your friends are busting your balls in a bar. If your girlfriend were there with you, what might she do?

a. Rub your back and say, "Aw, poor baby."

b. Call your friends immature and excuse herself.

c. Make a wisecrack at your expense and high-five your buddies.

5. You've forgotten yet again to take out the trash. What can you expect from her?

a. To be treated like garbage for a minimum of 48 hours.

b. A joke about how lazy men are... in fact, she decides, to be on the safe side, maybe she should just start doing it herself.

c. One more chance.

Got your answers? Good, now pay attention, because each answer is worth a number of points:

Question #1: a = 3 points, b = 2, c = 1.

Question #2: a = 3 points, b = 1, c = 2.

Question #3: a = 3 points, b = 1, c = 2.

Question #4: a = 2 points, b = 1, c = 3.

Question #5: a = 1 point, b = 3, c = 2.

Tally up your points and see what it means!

If you scored 12 points or more: The Ideal

Congrats! You're either a big fat liar or you scored one hot mama. Now snap out of it: the truth is, these women are usually desperadoes playing the part of Ms. Perfect to snag a ring. Snoop around and make sure she doesn't have a past littered with failed relationships. If she checks out, get on your knees and start begging.

7-11 points: The Good Ol' Gal

Score! This girl is smart anf together. She's got her own life and doesn't want to change you, but she'll take you to task when you need a good kick in the ass. She may feel like a ball and chain from time to time, but she'll give you the key if you ask nicely. Work out a few kinks and you'll be pleasantly surprised... in the shower... with a bottle of squeeze cheese. Hey what's her phone number?

6 Points or Lower: The Booby Trap

Danger! Not only is your marriage fated to fail; your very life may be in danger. The girl doesn't respect you, wants to walk all over you, and is way too high-maintenance. Sneak out the baxk, Jack, while you still have your... uh-oh.... look out behind you! We, uh, were just kidding, lady...

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rozy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

women: its something i think im better off not knowing about. I thought being with someone would be an interesting indea but suddenly i dont think i could handle it so ive basically give up my searches. Why? Im not compatable mentally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you scored 12 points or more: The Ideal

Congrats! You're either a big fat liar or you scored one hot mama. Now snap out of it: the truth is, these women are usually desperadoes playing the part of Ms. Perfect to snag a ring. Snoop around and make sure she doesn't have a past littered with failed relationships. If she checks out, get on your knees and start begging

i socred that out of experience (she actuly does that wen my mates thke the mick!!!!)

well i know im lucky that why im getting married ASAP....

ya know wen i can afford it Rolling Eyes

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
mrblanche

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm full of marriage advice. It must work, because we've been married 32 years, now!

A few brief ones:

1. Never marry anyone who doesn't like cats. What they don't like is a cat's independence. If they don't like it in a cat, they won't like it in you!

2. Marry someone you like, not someone you love. The flash, bang, and sizzle of sex wears off, and then you have to sit down and discuss the rent and car payments. That's truly miserable if you're not good friends.

I've got plenty more!

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont marry for money, power or status. You never get no matter how hard you try and one day you'll realize that you're just wearing the collar and somebody else is yanking on the leash.

Be honest with yourselves- it is no longer all about you. It is you and somebody else you are sharing your life with.

To all those who think your independence is greater than it is to share your life with someone else:
One day, you will sit down to watch tv on a boring night munching on nachos and gulping down a beer- feel a crushing pain in your chest, be debilitated to the point where you cant move and you'll die right there- alone, probably in your underwear (come on- you're in your own place- alone!), with a bowl of nachos on your lap, and a spilt beer from your collasped hand. Worse part is no one will know until your body rots enough that you sink up the apartment complex to the point where the police have to tear your door down to investigate... usually 3 weeks later.

Now, if you were married... somebody would have been there to called 911 for you!!! (And perhaps give you much needed cpr!)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum marriage advice? Been married for only five years so I guess I can give some advice. Don't be afraid to say I love you, and say it as often as you can. When I'm on the road and Gina can't come with me I always call her ever nite to see whats new that day. And before I hang up with her I all ways tell how much she means to and how much I love her.

Advice my dad gave me on my wedding day. When you get home from the honeymoon trip doesn't necessarily mean that the honeymoon is over. We've been on our honeymoon now for 5 years and three months and brother we don't see no end in site. Very Happy Never go to bed angry at each other.

Advice to those who are thinking about proposeing. Sit down and ask your self these 5 simple question.

1. Can you see your self with your partner 10 years, 25 years, 50 years?

2. Are you willing to let them see what you look like at 5 am in the morning?

3. Can you refer to your most cherished possession as ours instead of mine, and mean it?

4. Can you hold them and comfort them when they are pucking their guts out at 2 am in the morning?

5. Are you willing to compromise?

If you answered yes to all five then you are as ready as you can be. Just remember that a marriage is a joining of two seperate individuals into one. Somethings about your self you will have to change the rest is all compromise and love.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just celebrated our third year together as of August 31, so yeah I'd have to say I'd get married. In fact down the line we'll probably renew our vowes in a larger cermony since we have many more friends now than we used to.

Mr. Blanche was right both about the cats part, and the part about marrrying somone you like. My wife and I love each other, as well as like each other amd yes there is a huge difference. When we got engaged we didn't know each other well enough to like each other (we had known each other for less than three days), we then stayed engaged for five years, I cured my wifes alcoholism (it can be done but it's hard as hell), bought a condo together, went through good and bad times, and came out stronger each time.

Marriage is tough and you have to work your butt off at it sometimes, but the reward makes it well worth the effort, espically the look on your partners face when you wake them up with breakfast in bed.

Now I'm going to have to get the CD with all the pictures from our wedding so I can put at least one of my wife and I, and maybe the canine flower girls, up.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the BS about "its unlucky to see each other in your outfits before the wedding". Its the other way around, if you see each other in full outfit about 10-15 minutes before the wedding it is VERY GOOD. Seeing each other ready to go just before the actual thing you realize just how hugh of a decission you are making, if it is the right choice then there is no problems after seeing each other it will only strengthen your resolve to marry, if it is a bad choice (wrong timing or whatever) you will know then and it gives you a good oppertunity to back down, it is alway better for your friends and family to travel all that way and not have a wedding then to have the wedding and end up divorced later.

Get a good trusted friend and let them do everything possible. Do as little actuall work on your wedding as possible, it will help you enjoy and relax.

It is good if your wedding day is not "perfect". A perfect wedding day sets an impossible standard, you think that every day of your marriage will be equally perfect and the first trial you suffer (and you will suffer many over the years) will break you up. I've seen it many times.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geez.... -covers head- I think I've seen this somewhere before, years
back when PF was still in its infancy..
EEEP! Why do I even post here? According to the majority of my friends I
already exceeded my "useful" shelf-life when it comes to -gulp- marriage

Or perhaps it's due to the fact that.. I've really burnt my paws..
-covers head and makes himself scarce-

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:

Oh geez.... -covers head- I think I've seen this somewhere before, years
back when PF was still in its infancy..
EEEP! Why do I even post here? According to the majority of my friends I
already exceeded my "useful" shelf-life when it comes to -gulp- marriage

Or perhaps it's due to the fact that.. I've really burnt my paws..
-covers head and makes himself scarce-

Useful shelf life?
I was married 20 years ago, hoping it would last forever, only to have end so violently 6 months later in her death/murder.

Life has its strange twists and turns, and having dealt with 20 years of revenge and personal wars, and a long line of ex'es who just dont understand, its time that I lower my standards a bit and start seriously looking for Ms Right#2, instead of bed&blanket-mates and friends with benefits (no offense to any of them- for they have been especially wonderful in putting up with me).

In a way, I'm still married to Wife #1, for she still holds a place in my heart that no one can ever take away. But for now it is time to continue and allow another to stand in my heart but in a slightly different place. Thats the problem- Everyone wants that place where she belongs, and no one can have it. Once that right one understands that, and accepts it, then they can stand in the other place and I will do what I can to keep true to my promise that I would do what I can to keep them happy. Until then... I still have the bed&blanket-mates and friends with benefits. Not to say that I dont love them, for I do since I can share with them that intimacy that I can not with anyone else. But to do so for a life time, takes just a bit more.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 18 I saw my aunt go through hell for a year when her husband started to slowly die from liver and kidney faliure (I don't remember which came first only that the medication for one caused the other.) they had been together for as long as I could remember even though they had only been technically married for a few years. For years My aunt didn't get involved with anyone, when she finally did it was with an old friend of hers and her late husband, he had just gone through a messy divorce and their past history just made it easy for them to get close. Doesn't matter how old you are heck sometimes love really isn't the issue, sometimes it's about not being alone.
mrblanche

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
It is good if your wedding day is not "perfect". A perfect wedding day sets an impossible standard, you think that every day of your marriage will be equally perfect and the first trial you suffer (and you will suffer many over the years) will break you up. I've seen it many times.

Boy, that's true. As my wife said, no matter what minor things go wrong, you'll still be married at the end of the day, and 20 years from now at most all you'll have is a funny story to tell.

Dottie's uncle Mort took me aside before the ceremony to give me some advice. He said, "Remember, you're marrying a Pointon. All they need is a fully stocked kitchen and a member of the opposite sex, and they have all the entertainment they need!"

Turn out he was right!

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
strange-fox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urmmm? I'd just like to take the opportunity to qoute something:
"One ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them" =3

...Seriously, marriage's.. a nice thing for those who want it. I guess. I don't know ^^''

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard many tell the wonders of marrige here. I will not countermand any of them. It can be a wonderful thing. Having gone through a divorce though I do have just a few things that may help some of you unwed, and even a married person or 2.

1~ <this isn't for you married couples! Smile > Don't rush in for any reason. Vows are too important to be rippped to shreds. Remember only fools jump in! Laughing

2~ Always tell your significant other you love them. Anytime anyplace. If you can't for any reason, there is a problem.

3~ <for guys only> Never say "Yes dear" unless it's just a joke.

4~ Never let the friendship go sour. Your mate should also be your best friend. It's ok to get angy or upset, but always make up before you sleep at night or the cracks in the foundation will only get bigger.

5~ NEVER, and I mean EVER fight over money. Just take my word for it...

Even though I am divorced I am still my ex-wifes friend. This isn't really a tip, though it is important. If things are going far too south, a separation or divorce may be a must. I recomend a separation first. If things can be mended and FULLY resolved, get it right this time! If not, then try to still be friends. Remeber you were friends before, stay friends in the end. It is more important <in my oppinion> that sticking it out and then starting to hate one another.

Oh and I still voted for yes in the poll. Should I ever find that 'special' someone whom is able to fill the void inside my heart I would be willing to marry once again.

BTW, my ex-wife and I are meeting on Sunday to catch up over coffee.

Be strong and live life to it's fullest! Very Happy

THE LIGHT SHINES!

We got a long way to go,
and a short timt to get there...
Sharc_Vulpus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14... well would be 14 if Gilda and I were still together...c

ANYWAY! biggest tip I can hand you all is listen. Shut up and listen. We need to talk does not me we need to talk it means I need to talk to you, and you need to listen.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: