Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should people make anthropomorphs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Opposed or for?
Yes, that would be cool.
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
Sign me up.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
No, that is wrong.
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
No, we were not meant to play god/that would be an abomination.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've been a fan of Anthromorphic stories and comics since the early to mid 80's. The question should we or should we not create Anthromorhic life, or any form of intelligent life. If I may some of you have made some very valid points.

Quote:
Mike Regan I think we should but with care. I am sure that it will take quite a while to get it right just like any new tech.

Quote:
Joshua Fox As for the anthromorphs question, it just seems like a silly idea. I mean, seriously, what would the practical application be? What actual function would it serve?

Quote:
Mapper I'm all for R&D of things that would benefit all, but time and time again it is usually corrupted into more effeicent ways of ridding ourselves of our fellow man.

Quote:
Mike Regan To create ready slave labor or expendable cannon fodder is the wrong reason. To better life, all life not just human, is not.

Quote:
ScottyDM Excellent story: My Flatmate Kathy illustrates many of the problems an anthropomorphized race could have in a human society. The term "recom" is pretty cool as a slang word too.

And another excellent story along similar lines would be Fate also Smiles by Wirewolf and Wings by Todd G. Sutherland (unfortunatlly I don't have a link to either of their sites). All three stories show what could possible happen if we attempted to create an intellegent life differant from our own. This is probally a gross assumption but I assume most of you have heard of a comic called Albedo. Created Steve Gallacci and published by Thoughts & Images around June of 1984. It's a similar story to Cirrel's Wilderhom stories. In as far as that the Athros created by man and then transplanted to a distant world as a study in social science. In Albedo there is a catastrophic event that aparentlly wipes out man kind, after that it differs from Wilderhom. And if this was the case no we should not create Anthros.

But if as Mike has said in a earlyer post about genetically altering our selves so that like a star fish we could regenerate a lost limb I could see that happening soon not in my life time but the not to distant future. Or possible as a cosmetic reason of self expression like getting tattooed or pirced. I wouldn't have any problem with that in fact if it where possible to be done now I would probally be one of the first to sign up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take another approach to the question.

Assuming it does happen, then what do we do?

Eccentric millionaires
Poorly supervised, but well equipped grad students
Corporations with a commercial application
Government agencies with a social application

How many of each of these exists in the world today... in the next 25 years... 50 years?

As far as the rights of a newly created anthro, perhaps being owned by a corporation (especially as a multimillion-dollar prototype) would afford more personal protection than a pile of federal and state laws... at least against a knuckle-dragger with a closet full of weapons. Hell hath no fury like a large corporation with a team of overpaid and under worked lawyers.

I have this friend who works at the Stanford Medical Labs (as an employee, not a grad student). His "hobby" is synthesizing proteins. So he stays after hours and goes in on weekends. His bosses know he does this and don't mind because (I presume) all that practice makes for a better lab worker. They even let him use small amounts of the peptides and whatever it is he uses, and they let him buy stuff on company account. His experiments are unsupervised.

That's just proteins, but what about the gene-jockey of the future?

Scotty

Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty,

I have my religion. my beliefs. I believe in God. He has already placed himself before me in other ways. So many stories to support that but I'm not going to say this on here.

First of all I would opt for furry look so I dont need to worry anymore about facial hair!! right ladies ;~;

My ears wiggles irl. and actually they do perk up but can't see because of my hair covering my ears. I would love to have my ears wiggling and showing it's expressions. My dog's ears does that and he is so expressive just by his ears.

I have talked about this before with Nyx (no one you guys know on PF but some on SL) We listed the pro and cons. mainly are cons : have problems with fleas, bathroom in a standard toilet, do we have to stand in shower to pee better with our tail not in the way? Shopping. can't wear clothes anymore because 1. they bulk agianst your fur, 2. might not fit and stretch the collar as you struggle to slip it on and then you end up paying alot of money. oh yeah for ladies. skirts. what if you wagged and your skirt ripped. ;~; um. food. we'd be limited because not all of us like foxes, or whatever could have specific food. no more sushi for fishmophs :/ We'd be inside alot just to avoid alot of problems, no driving. sleeping alot. animals sleep alot than we do humans. How can we work? no human would want to hire us.

The young lady a while ago in the forum is right. we'd be slaughtered and killed ;~; so you gotta be rich, live in isolated area. um. find a way to travel to not get poked at picked at. the society IS messed up. Someone i knew back in 1998 want to buy an island for real and make it only furry area. where we all change into furries and live there.

I would like to have tail, ears, claws. fangs but i want them to go away so i can be a human. I was born human I'll die human that's my life choice.

Just be grateful you're alive and stuff. i guess :/ *hugs all*

This image is dedicated t Tex's post x3

------------------------
Superlagg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot can happen in 25-50 years, we may get to the point where we can create these creatures within this timeframe, if not before. Technology will get to that point someday, humans' social adaption tends to get more tolerant over the years. If Furs were actually created, it would possibly go about in a fashion simlar to that of what happened with the slaves. They will likely be made, sold into slavery for a few generations, someone will step in and protest this, that will snowball into a huge campaign for equal rights towards Furs, a war might break out due to this, seeing that humans will work to the ends of heaven and hell to have something to allow them to not work (Ironic, huh?). This will likely happen for any new sentient creature that is able to move things and do labor so that humans dont have to. If this ever happens, Im signing for the Pro-Furry Rights army. I wont let some arrogant group of humans bring back what we fought for in the American Civil war.

About Furs in other countrys, dunno exactly. Canada might accept them quickly, one of the reasons that I love Canada; anywhere else, I dont know.

Though I could be wrong, maybe by the time we make Furs we would have pulled our heads out of our asses and relize that humans are in no position to call anything else less then them. Its starting to lean that way, but it might pull a pendulum and blast us back to the colonial days in terms of tollerance.

As for the story that was posted, it actually touched me! It friggin' touched me! No other story has done so before. Whoever wrote that must be one hellova writer to actually invoke feeing in me through words.

Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... yeah... good luck with that. >_>

Before my brain begins to devour itself over some of the logic presented here, I think it would be helpful to play the Devil's Advocate (as I've certainly been referred to as "Satan" more than enough in the past) and flip this on its head.

What if, indeed, it was not these dreadful humans who were the persecuters, but the persecuted themselves in this little drama? If indeed they would be so superior as it has been suggested, then what's to keep them so very humble and tolerant?

Given that this is a very "fantastical" disccussion in and of itself, the suggestion that any of these new creatures would be so much better/worse/different from their creators seems quite the fantasy as well.

What seems more likely? Would they be free those awful, terrible habits and prejudices that have been so breezily categorized with humans, or would scenes like this be very possible indeed Twisted Evil :

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Superlagg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua Fox wrote:
What if, indeed, it was not these dreadful humans who were the persecuters, but the persecuted themselves in this little drama? If indeed they would be so superior as it has been suggested, then what's to keep them so very humble and tolerant?

Same thing that kept the slaves from running away: guns, laws, and people with an overinflated sense of patriotism.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a couple of definitions?

The word anthropomorphic means to humanize something that is not human. A very broad definition. In college I painted a face on a rock and named it "Roxanne", so I anthropomorphized a rock. Robots, computers, aliens, anything can be anthropomorphized. I think what we care about is anthropomorphic animals--real or fanciful--from house cats to dragons.

Anthro: To me this is a creature or being who is part human and part something else. What they are is embedded in their genetic makeup and they should breed true to form.

Furry: A dedicated human fan of anthro art, stories, comics, etc. A casual fan of, say, Kevin & Kell, is not really a furry. Just as not everyone who watches one of the Star Trek spin-offs is a Trekkie.

I realize that this is counter to what some feel, who use anthro and furry (or some variation of furry) interchangeably. Words are just labels, it's the concepts behind the labels that matter. Note that there is a huge difference between the two concepts I've given, above.

Scotty

Superlagg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
How about a couple of definitions?

The word anthropomorphic means to humanize something that is not human. A very broad definition. In college I painted a face on a rock and named it "Roxanne", so I anthropomorphized a rock. Robots, computers, aliens, anything can be anthropomorphized. I think what we care about is anthropomorphic animals--real or fanciful--from house cats to dragons.

Anthro: To me this is a creature or being who is part human and part something else. What they are is embedded in their genetic makeup and they should breed true to form.

Furry: A dedicated human fan of anthro art, stories, comics, etc. A casual fan of, say, Kevin & Kell, is not really a furry. Just as not everyone who watches one of the Star Trek spin-offs is a Trekkie.

I realize that this is counter to what some feel, who use anthro and furry (or some variation of furry) interchangeably. Words are just labels, it's the concepts behind the labels that matter. Note that there is a huge difference between the two concepts I've given, above.

Scotty

Fine, AnthroFurry.

Shadu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't want to start anything but since i've been reading and noticing how religion is so into the topic i would recomend the book (cant remember the tittle exactly but i think it is..) "Incarnations of immortality". it gave me an outlook of God i'd never thought before and it goes much into what has been said here. to beleive or not is not all. science and religion are extremes on a line and i like to think of it as God being a Master in knowledge therefore he orchestrated things to end up in us existing. also i put out one question thats allways been nagging me, Who knows how long a day is to God?

after saying this i say again i'm not starting any religous war here i don't want to so don't take it as such please i don't want to ruin the thread.

now anthros, furries whoever you like to call them would be (if created by man) a simple proof of our greater understandig in Gods knowledge. but like i said before we must master ourselves before we can accept others or as it is said in religion 'you must first love yourself before you can truly love others.'

biologically however i don't think they'd evolve themselves. science i think, proved that while man is existing no other sentient life will evolve because man will probably (whether it be deliberatly or not) destroy said being. so it would probably be eather developes here or somehow come from space or something like that.

Finally. if i got the title right i recomend the book(s) its really good. i think i have it around here in ' .lit ' files and i really don't mind sharing but its up to you if you want me to send them.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
one question thats allways been nagging me, Who knows how long a day is to God?

One oppinion I've heard often is that one day for God is like a thousand years for us. Of course no one can know for certain about that its just one theory I've heard a lot.

And folks show some control, don't follow this post up with screams of 'theres no god' or 'no that time isn't correct its really...'. If you've heard another time set feel free to share, all I'm saying is one THEORY I've heard a lot.

Edited it cuz I mixed the two amounts around, fixed now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superlagg wrote:
Fine, AnthroFurry.

And that means?

If it will make you feel any better, I've used the two terms interchangeably in the past, too.

Body modification and furries:

Doug Winger created this work-safe picture of a furry woman in a bikini. She is so close to human configuration that perhaps she is a body-modified human. Her face is only slightly restructured, and she has a tail and fur. The facial restructuring could probably be done with sophisticated plastic surgery (would a licensed surgeon do this?). A real tail is an extension of the backbone and spinal cord, and I've no idea how something like that could be grafted on. The fur would be a problem too as you'd need to increase the number of hair follicles over the whole body, and change they way they function.

Should a humans do this to themselves if it were possible? Sure, why not. Their families would probably freak out, but heck, there are worse things people can do to themselves. "But mom, look at all the money I can save on sunscreen!"

Genetic manipulation of human DNA:

Probably an easier way to achieve that look would be for a couple (hard-core furries, I presume) to go to a genetics lab and ask that their DNA manipulated to create a child with these characteristics. The fertilized egg cell with modified DNA would be implanted into the wife when it was at the proper level of development and if all went well, she'd carry the baby to term and birth it normally.

Should parents be allowed to do this? I'll bet the social cry against it would be so loud and shrill that the baby would be taken away and the parents put in prison for child abuse (at least in the USA). To be followed by a string of laws against manipulating human DNA. However, we could see a trickle of such individuals coming out of other countries.

DNA manipulation is not body modification. And you're not changing yourself, but your offspring. Such changes would carry forward to future generations.

The USA as evil oppressor of races and peoples:

This is a common assumption, and I presume it's based on the idea that we've done it before; therefore we'll do it again. But the USA already has a boatload of anti-discrimination laws that might successfully be applied to anthros. Many other countries have not needed such laws. An anthro (someone born that way, and not by choice) could find plenty of legal protection in the USA that they may not find in many other countries. Plus, the USA has plenty of activist groups that would rally to this new cause. I’d bet that Canada, much of Europe, and probably South Africa (the country) would also end up as fairly decent places for anthros to live as well.

I think it's not the laws or the political climate, but whacked-out individuals who'd be the most problem for a small but growing anthro community.

Superlagg wrote:
...humans' social adaption tends to get more tolerant over the years.

Though I could be wrong, maybe by the time we make Furs we would have pulled our heads out of our asses and relize that humans are in no position to call anything else less then them. Its starting to lean that way, but it might pull a pendulum and blast us back to the colonial days in terms of tollerance.

I agree. At this point in history we are becoming more tolerant of others. This has a lot to do with greater communications. Back in WW-II, propaganda in the USA was directed against those "dirty Japs" or those "filthy Krauts". Here are some examples of WW-II propaganda art of the USA:
German soldier as nameless, faceless evil
Nazis hate God, and presumably God hates Nazis, so we should hate Nazis too
Japanese look evil, therefore they must be evil
OMG! Those nasty German and Japanese soldiers want to kill me! I'd better support the war effort
Our allies, so human, so real, so much like us with a wife and family, they need our help
Because most Americans really had no idea what "the enemy" was like as a people, the government could reduce them to monsters in the public eye. They hated us personally, they hated God, and they probably ate babies too. But note that the Chinese, who were are allies, were real people and pretty decent folk.

Today that just won't fly. In the present war against Iraq, we're not fighting against the Iraqi people; we're fighting against Sadam Hussein, his boys, and his government. Okay, they're gone so I guess we're now fighting against those damned dirty terrorists over in Iraq that would oppress and murder the Iraqi people if we pull out. See... we're fighting for the Iraqi people, and freedom, of course. Wink

Greater communication makes it a lot harder to fight wars. Someday some politician will stand up and say, "Let's invade ____." and the people will say, "What for? So your buddies can exploit the oil reserves? I have family there. I vacationed there last year. I read the blogs of the people living there. I MUDD with those people online. Those people feel like my friends. Sorry, Chief, ya need a better reason than clobbering less than a hundred radicals to invade a whole country."

Racism is similar: Put "them" in the school desks next to our kids. Put "them" in our neighborhoods and apartment buildings. Talk to "them" at work or in the stores or at church. Socialize with "them". Date one or bring one home to meet mom and dad. Soon "them" becomes "us" and they are people just like us. The profile or skin color or hair texture might differ, but they are real people with real feelings and real dreams. Just like us.

This transition takes awhile because the intolerant old farts have to die off first (of natural causes).

Now in some countries (Canada and much of Europe, among others), "them" has always lived and worked and played along side "us". So they don't have to go through this transition like we do in the USA.

I've set my stories 20 to 30 years in the future. I make several assumptions. One being that racial discrimination is reduced from today's level. In one story (still being written), these "good ol' boys" from Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia don't bat an eye when one of their "boys" (all underlings are "boys") dates a white woman and they even consider him for a leadership position in their organization.

I'm 50 years old. 20 or 30 years ago there was a lot less true integration in the USA than there is now. I think it safe to say that 20 or 30 years from now there will be even more true integration than today.

I think this climate of acceptance would spill over to genetic anthros--at least to a certain degree. Much of that, and legal protection too, probably depends on if the anthro was originally based on human DNA or on animal DNA.

God and man:

Do you believe in free will, or predestination? If free will, keep in mind that just because the Almighty creator of the heavens and the Earth (whomever you feel that might be) gives you more than enough rope to hang yourself with, doesn't mean you're compelled to do it.

Scotty

rodentone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: And -- Anddrro -- that stuff Reply with quote

A human friend wanted me to shave my fur off and get a nose and tail job, to look more human. He said I could get a better job that way.

Heh. My opinion of such a thing is the same as about suicide. It might be fun to try if you could reverse it later. He, he.

Imagine looking like a stupid human? I don’t know how those hairless oafs stand it. We’re lucky we have our fur. They have to buy it every winter and we have a better coat for free.

It might be fine for some of you, but I prefer staying like the Supreme Rat made me.

Oscar Rat

See my Ezboard forum at :
http://p076.ezboard.com/fcognitivechaosfrm23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: