Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What console do you plan on getting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Console?
Revolution
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
XBox 360
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Playstation 3
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Probably will settle for a Nintendo DS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Probably will get a PSP instead a new console
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Undecided/Will wait a while
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Well, if you want to play FF Crystal Chronicles, you NEED to use GBAs as the game needs the LCD to display each user's menus during combat.

In single-player mode, you attach the GBA to the second port and get extra information like maps on it.

The same happens in Zelda: the WindWaker.

Yes, I heard about these things. While in general a nice idea I don't think to highly off it. This VGCats comic puts it rather nicely.

anthony wrote:
You should try Skies of Arkadia sometime...

There they have a decent minigame to download and which will actually help you to get extra items and gold...

Not much chance of that. The only time I ever played on a DreamCast was when my brother borrowed one from a friend years ago. I don't play on repeating the experience.

Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like the XBOX 360... even though its Microsoft.. it is quite
powerful... and from the little I've seen... the games are going to be
nothing next to amazing.. It is DirectX based... dunno the exact hardware
specs.. but it beats the crap out of the PS3 in terms of raw CPU, GPU
power. Plenty of potential

Xaqtly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kameo is looking particularly awesome on the Xbox 360. But you know, power does not a system make. The current Xbox is more powerful than the PS2, yet the PS2 outsells it by an OMGWTF margin. It's all about the games. The Xbox never really came through on that side like the PS2 did, and the Xbox didn't have the 1st and 2nd party clout and universally loved franchises like Nintendo does. It remains to be seen if that will change with the next generation. Smile

Also of note, it's good to see that Rare is doing the same thing to Microsoft that they did to Nintendo - delaying a game, delaying it again and again, then eventually just making it for the next gen console. Confused

JediFur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pardon the extreme off-topicness, but I couldn't help but say something...*

He SPEAKS!

My goodness, Xaq is back!

This is Wootness to the extreme. Smile

Good to hear from ya, buddy!

-JediFur

Did you Know?
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaqtly wrote:
Also of note, it's good to see that Rare is doing the same thing to Microsoft that they did to Nintendo - delaying a game, delaying it again and again, then eventually just making it for the next gen console. Confused

Just out of curiosity, which game would that be?

Xaqtly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kameo. Actually Kameo is now being re-made for the third time on the third console - It was originally started for the Gamecube when Rare was still working with Nintendo, there were even screenshots released and everything. In fact it was supposed to be a Gamecube launch title if you can believe that. They began the first work on Kameo in 1999, right after they finished Donkey Kong 64 for the N64. But then MS bought them in Sept. 2002 so the GC version was canned and they started re-doing it for the Xbox.

That was 2 years and 11 months ago, they were never able to finish it for the Xbox (despite releasing only one game in this entire nearly 3 year period) so they moved it over to the Xbox 360, where it looks like it's finally going to be released. Eventually.

Rare has always been very slow about releasing games, and the problem is their games aren't as good as they used to be. The best games they ever made were all for the N64, with the possible exception of Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. Once they got hugely popular and famous for games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day (now finally available on the Xbox), Blast Corps, etc, they became lazy or something and couldn't bring themselves to put out more than one game every couple years. They only did one game for the Gamecube (Starfox Adventures).

Even Perfect Dark has had a sequel in the works since the N64 days (Perfect Dark Zero), and now it's slated to come out on the Xbox 360 too, after being scheduled for the Gamecube first, then the Xbox and now the 360.

And there's no guarantee the games will be as good as they used to be in the halcyon days of the N64, especially because almost all the Rare developers, programmers and artists that worked on the N64 games have gone on to greener pastures since then. I almost wonder if Microsoft didn't get burned on their Rare purchase. Kameo does look amazing on the 360 though, and I really want to try it. I also desperately want to play Perfect Dark Zero if it ever comes out on the 360, so here's hoping Rare haven't lost all their magic.

Edit: I found this particularly telling of Microsoft's situation with Rare at the moment, this is from wikipedia.

Quote:
Between 2000 and the final aquisition of Rare Ltd. more than 50 people left the company. After the acquisition was complete, at least 30 more left. Commentators have noted that Rare's first Xbox title, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, is the company's biggest flop to date.

Microsoft paid $375 million US to acquire Rare.

admford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'd vote in the poll, but there is no "all of the above" Razz

Currently I've got an XBox, PSTwo (slim), GameCube, Nintendo DS, and a Japanese PSP. so that pretty much counts as all the current major systems on sale here.

I'm gonna exchange my XBox for a XBox360 at EBGames in a few, should get a bit of a discount on it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
anthony wrote:
Well, if you want to play FF Crystal Chronicles, you NEED to use GBAs as the game needs the LCD to display each user's menus during combat.

In single-player mode, you attach the GBA to the second port and get extra information like maps on it.

The same happens in Zelda: the WindWaker.

Yes, I heard about these things. While in general a nice idea I don't think to highly off it. This VGCats comic puts it rather nicely.

Well, in FFCC it solved the problem of letting the players accesss the menus to select spells and weapons during fights, without halting the paly for everyone else. (Realtime combat, you know )

Quote:

anthony wrote:
You should try Skies of Arkadia sometime...

There they have a decent minigame to download and which will actually help you to get extra items and gold...

Not much chance of that. The only time I ever played on a DreamCast was when my brother borrowed one from a friend years ago. I don't play on repeating the experience.

Well, the game WAS re-released as Skies of Arkadia Legends a while back, and then for the GC(Possibly other consoles, too.)
Though, they probably removed the nudie glimpse from the DC version...
(I haven't played it, yet, so don't know for certain)

With the number of games I've barely begun playing, or haven't touched at all, I probably shouldn't buy any new consoles soon...

A pity then, that I found a note in the mailbox today, telling me that there's a package from Japan waiting for me...
And the 'new' console is the Bandai Pippin...

Now I just need the NTSC to PAL converter I ordered from Lik Sang...
(And possibly a few games )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: